[sci.electronics] Massive computer industry failures and layoff's coming soon!!!!

jbass@polyslo.UUCP (John L Bass) (01/29/88)

The following are my opinions and best crystal ball readings ... I welcome
any sound arguments which make the following predictions without merit.

For the last 6 months I have been talking to people in the industry tring
to find an area to develop a new product. To my surprise it seems that
another 1982/1983 style PC market adjustment is about to happen. I.E. the
rapid market growth can not be supported by the total market size.
I use PC to mean Personal Computers of all types -- Apple, IBM, and clones.

How soon? Maybe by this summer. Maybe as late as fall 1989.

How massive? Maybe as little as 15% of the computer industry labor force.
	Maybe as much as 75%. In many areas -- manufacuring, retail sales,
	and supporting industries -- chips, drives, printers, etc. Only the
	service industries will continue strong -- repair, training, support.
	It is unclear how the software markets will fair.

Who will be affected? Nearly everyone in the industry.

Why and how? The short answer is that the personal computer market will dry
	up quickly, since the market place is nearly saturated. This follows
	the 1986 & 1987 frenzy to replace typewriters with PC's of all types.

Surprized by this? Consider the US has a total population of about 200 million
	people, of which, less than 60 million are working adults who may have
	some exposure to using a computer in the work place ... many of those
	access a mainframe with a terminal. Maybe 1 in 3 (about 20 million)
	actually has or needs access to a PC (on their desk or shared use).

	The real number is probably much smaller -- look around you for the
	next week and take your own sample of how many people in the general
	population have/need access to a PC for any reason.

	Estimates of current PC shipments range between 0.7 million PC's/month
	to 1.7 million PC's/month. Many of these are PC/XT/AT clones targeted
	for word processing and little else. IBM is shipping about 0.25 million
	PC's a month alone! Apple, Atari, and the other M680X0 systems are
	included as PC's. None of this includes the numbers and impact of
	the multiuser and mainframe markets.

	Thus, the market is either already saturated or will saturate in
	the next 24 months ... my best quess is within 3-9 months. This
	posting may cause it to happen now.

What can be expected during after the market crash? Many things both good and
	bad -- mostly very bad. Consider the following:

	1) The US computer retail industry will suffer significantly. A number
	of shops closed before/after christmas because the volumes were slowing
	with margins sharply down. This trend will continue for the next year
	with perhaps as many as 75% of the current computer stores closing by
	mid 1989.

	2) A significant shakeout will occur between US manufacturers and
	importers resulting in a fatal round of price cutting and bankruptcy
	filings. As in the 1982/1983 crash, discontinued goods will be found
	on the market and in auctions for between 10% and 35% of cost.
	Plenty of opportunities for small buyers to make a quick dollar
	on surplus inventories.

	3) A significant shakeout will occur in the support markets for the
	same reasons. Expect tough times in chips, drives, and printers.
	It is going to be doubly hard on the Japanese, Tiwan, and Korean
	economies as well ... the rapid dollar shift was only the begining.

	4) Unlike the 1982/1983 crash, the market will not recover into a
	strong growth period ... the crash will mark the end of the PC boom
	years. A small first time buyer and replacement market will remain.
	The result will be a large labor force out of work and requiring
	significant retraining since no other large domestic industry
	exists today which requires the same talents.

	5) It takes about 5 years for a new market to mature. There is no
	promising computer product on the horizon to force early retirement
	of the current installed base of systems. An upgrade market will
	exist ... but with small volumes and margins.

	6) The mid range multiuser systems and workstations will be
	significantly affected by the price wars in the 386 product lines.
	Many of the current workstation players will go down as well with
	UNIX is becoming more common on 386 desktops with high res graphics.

	7) As with the 1982/1983 crash I expect buyers will start buying and
	paying more for products from stable companies ... it is difficult
	to trust your business to a computer that will be orphaned when the
	maker/retailer/VAR goes out of business.

	8) There will be a strong service and support market for orphaned
	computers and software.

	9) There will be a sharply lower demand for computer engineers,
	computer sales and support staff. New college grads are going to
	face tough employment prospects. Particularly if the next congress
	and president continue to provide minimum $$$ support for research and
	development in technical areas like SDI, NASA, and other military and
	civilian aerospace.

	10) Without the revenues from computer product sales, little domestic
	funds will be available to develop next generation technology. It
	takes PROFITS to invest in the future. The US electronics and computer
	industry faces some grave problems.

	11) It is doubtful that 1Mbit and 4Mbit memory chips will reach
	expected volumes and price levels. Other advanced silicon will
	likely suffer the same fate given a sharply contracted market.

	12) The price of housing will drop sharply in Silicon Valley again.
	A few other places will see the same.

	13) In this election year it would be wise to vote for canidates that
	are more conservative financially and support US technical industries.
	Congress will have to carefully examine our technical industry and
	make sure that supports are in place via research funds and contracts
	for products to keep our options open for the future.

	14) Domestic exports of computer equipment will meet price cutting and
	expanded competition from frustrated asian manufacturers.

Bounce the above senerio off your management, then start looking ahead
for how YOU and YOUR company will survive the next few years. Ask your
management what their SHORT and LONG TERM business plan looks like.
Have they thought this far ahead? If not, better find a new LONG-TERM job
before the layoffs start.

So you still think that this will not happen? ... consider that the VCR market
just saturated this last fall following record volumes and is headed down
rapidly ... just as the cassette player and walkman markets did a few years
ago.

Mean while, we continue to look for consulting/contract work ... Have any?
We specialize in design/product reviews, cost sensitive product development,
SCSI products, and UNIX systems, hardware, systems software, and applications.

Have Fun ...

John L. Bass
DMS Design
(805)541-1575

The above is copyright 1988 by John L. Bass, and may be distributed freely
without any change or modification provided this notice is included in
all copies.

aburt@isis.UUCP (Andrew Burt) (01/30/88)

In article <1105@polyslo.UUCP> jbass@polyslo.UUCP (John L Bass) writes:

>How massive? Maybe as little as 15% of the computer industry labor force.
>	Maybe as much as 75%.

If you make statements such as this, particularly with numbers involved,
please supply the data and algorithms you used to arrive at them.  Are 15-75%
just guesses, or...?

>Surprized by this? Consider the US has a total population of about 200 million
>	people, of which, less than 60 million are working adults who may have
>	some exposure to using a computer in the work place

240 million is a more reasonable number; of this an average of 120 million
are employed during the year (according the 1987 world almanac).

How do you derive the 60 million figure (given that the 200 million is 20%
too low, in particular)?

>	Maybe 1 in 3 (about 20 million)
>	actually has or needs access to a PC (on their desk or shared use).

And how about the home market?  Is it insignificant or significant?

What about the demand to upgrade (XT->AT, AT->386, etc.)?
Do you consider that for cheap clones it is often cheaper to replace a
part or whole machine than to have it repaired?

>	Estimates of current PC shipments range between 0.7 million PC's/month
>	to 1.7 million PC's/month.

Again, where are these figures from?

>	Thus, the market is either already saturated or will saturate in
>	the next 24 months...

How do you arrive at these numbers?  24*.7million = 16.8 million, what
relevance to your other points above does this have?

I'm not disputing your claims (not yet at least) but before I consider
your arguments I need to evaluate your methods.

Please make a second posting on this matter.
--

Andrew Burt 				   			isis!aburt

              Fight Denver's pollution:  Don't Breathe and Drive.

brad@looking.UUCP (Brad Templeton) (01/30/88)

In article <1105@polyslo.UUCP> jbass@polyslo.UUCP (John L Bass) writes:
>For the last 6 months I have been talking to people in the industry tring
>to find an area to develop a new product. To my surprise it seems that
>another 1982/1983 style PC market adjustment is about to happen. I.E. the
>rapid market growth can not be supported by the total market size.
>I use PC to mean Personal Computers of all types -- Apple, IBM, and clones.
>... A long summary, based on the idea that everybody has a computer now who
>... needs one, so they'll stop buying
>So you still think that this will not happen? ... consider that the VCR market
>just saturated this last fall following record volumes and is headed down
>rapidly ... just as the cassette player and walkman markets did a few years
>ago.

Yes, just as everybody has a car, and Ford, Toyota and Mercedes are all dying.
Yes, just as everybody has a TV, and Sony and Toshiba are failing.
Yes, just as everybody has a stereo, and the nobody opens up new stereo stores
anymore.

Fact is, computers go out of date far faster than cars, TVs, or stereos.
The 386 machines today outpower the first PCs 15 to 1 for the same money.
The software sector will continue to grow and thrive.

For these and many other reasons, the bottom is not about to fall out.
The market for PC clones may saturate soon, but this will only cause a
change in direction, I suspect.
--
Brad Templeton, Looking Glass Software Ltd. - Waterloo, Ontario 519/884-7473

[ Wouldn't you like to be a line eater too? ]

	John L. Bass forecasts a gloomy horizon for the microcomputer
industry, based on the argument that the market is saturated.

	The *business* market may be saturated, but I feel that there are
many other markets which have yet to be addressed, and which are potentially
lucrative.

	Also, I believe his gloomy forecasts are based on the fact that the
whole economy, not just the computer industry, will start a major decline by
the end of the year.

In article <1105@polyslo.UUCP> jbass@polyslo.UUCP (John L Bass) writes:
>To my surprise it seems that
>another 1982/1983 style PC market adjustment is about to happen. I.E. the
>rapid market growth can not be supported by the total market size.
>I use PC to mean Personal Computers of all types -- Apple, IBM, and clones.

	I think this is your basic error.  PC should refer to just PC's (IBM
clones, et al).  Whether or not Apple has problems will be for entirely
different reasons.

>Why and how? The short answer is that the personal computer market will dry
>	up quickly, since the market place is nearly saturated. This follows
>	the 1986 & 1987 frenzy to replace typewriters with PC's of all types.

	The frenzy was for IBM Clones.  Your argument that that market is
saturated may be valid, but it would be valid only for this market.

>	Maybe 1 in 3 (about 20 million)
>	actually has or needs access to a PC (on their desk or shared use).

	No one "needs" a PC.  God knows we just finished a bloody war over
in comp.sys.amiga on whether or not anyone "needs" multitasking.  People
curious about computers will continue to buy the things, as well as
technofreaks.

>	The real number is probably much smaller -- look around you for the
>	next week and take your own sample of how many people in the general
>	population have/need access to a PC for any reason.

	Probably very few.  So create a market for them.  Lord knows
American business is masterful at foisting useless stuff on us.

>	Apple, Atari, and the other M680X0 systems are
>	included as PC's.  [ ... ]

	They shouldn't be; they're completely different animals.

>What can be expected during after the market crash? Many things both good and
>	bad -- mostly very bad. Consider the following:
>	1) The US computer retail industry will suffer significantly. A number
>	of shops closed before/after christmas because the volumes were slowing
>	with margins sharply down. This trend will continue for the next year
>	with perhaps as many as 75% of the current computer stores closing by
>	mid 1989.

	Those dealing *only* in PC's will be the heaviest hit, I agree.
Those with a wider perspective on life will probably survive, as well as
stores that cater primarily to individuals.

>	3) A significant shakeout will occur in the support markets for the
>	same reasons. Expect tough times in chips, drives, and printers.
>	It is going to be doubly hard on the Japanese, Tiwan, and Korean
>	economies as well ... the rapid dollar shift was only the begining.

	Somehow, I get the feeling that the Japanese are going to come out
of this smelling like a rose...

>	4) Unlike the 1982/1983 crash, the market will not recover into a
>	strong growth period ... the crash will mark the end of the PC boom
>	years.  [ ... ]

	I disagree.  The 1982/1983 crash was largely a shakeout of the
entertainment-oriented computer market.  That market has now reorganized and
is doing very well, thank you, and with the economic recession just around
the corner, is expected to do even better.  The entertainment industry has
done well historically during economic downturns.

	Don't believe me?  Go to your local video arcade.  Atari is still
making very good coin-ops, as is Sega, Williams, and Taito.  And around
here, they get a lot of play.

>	5) It takes about 5 years for a new market to mature. There is no
>	promising computer product on the horizon to force early retirement
>	of the current installed base of systems. An upgrade market will
>	exist ... but with small volumes and margins.

	Obviously you haven't looked at the Amiga :-).  Desktop video is
only beginning to get off the ground (we've had two years head start), and
so far it looks good.  Also, I don't see desktop publishing (Apple's baby)
heading for a downturn.

>	6) The mid range multiuser systems and workstations will be
>	significantly affected by the price wars in the 386 product lines.
>	Many of the current workstation players will go down as well with
>	UNIX is becoming more common on 386 desktops with high res graphics.

	Maybe not on 386 machines, but I suspect UNIX will become more
popular, too, given that OS/2 is largely predicted to be a complete and
utter loss.  However, don't count Apollo or Sun out yet; they've got lots of
good ideas...

>	7) As with the 1982/1983 crash I expect buyers will start buying and
>	paying more for products from stable companies ... it is difficult
>	to trust your business to a computer that will be orphaned when the
>	maker/retailer/VAR goes out of business.

	I know of very few businesses that trusted their office automation
program to the Coleco Adam :-).

	The only stable PC manufacturer is IBM.  Compaq's only product is
PClones.  Once that market dries up, I think Compaq is going to have
trouble.  IBM always has the mainframe market to fall back on.

>	8) There will be a strong service and support market for orphaned
>	computers and software.

	Absolutely, though I don't think you'll ever be able to call PC's
"orphans"; there are just too many of the blasted things.

>	9) There will be a sharply lower demand for computer engineers,
>	computer sales and support staff.  [ ... ]

	Dunno about sales and support, but engineering looks like a strong
job market to me.  There's still a hell of a lot of stuff yet to be designed
out there...

>	10) Without the revenues from computer product sales, little domestic
>	funds will be available to develop next generation technology.  [ ... ]

	Maybe, maybe not.  In the midst of the 82/83 crash, Commodore
developed and brought to market the Commodore-64.  It did very well.  Before
that, all they had were calculators and the Commodore PET, so I don't think
they had much capital.

>	11) It is doubtful that 1Mbit and 4Mbit memory chips will reach
>	expected volumes and price levels.  [ ... ]

	Unfortunate, but probably true.  I expect 1Mbit chips to fall in
price a bit more, but the 4Mbitters will remain way up there until the next
generation of systems comes out (along with the inefficient compilers and
bloated applications that will require all that memory).

>	12) The price of housing will drop sharply in Silicon Valley again.

	Let's hope so.  Properly values down there are almost as crazy as in
Marin.

>Ask your management what their SHORT and LONG TERM business plan looks like.
>Have they thought this far ahead? If not, better find a new LONG-TERM job
>before the layoffs start.

	Better start looking NOW; American business is notorious for having
no concept of a long-range business plan.

>So you still think that this will not happen? ... consider that the VCR market
>just saturated this last fall following record volumes and is headed down
>rapidly ... just as the cassette player and walkman markets did a few years
>ago.

	Again, this is because everyone and his mother is making VCR's, with
37 heads, octophonic sound, 2.564E+34 cable channel capability, remote
control, event timers that let you schedule program recording 32 years in
advance, AI commercial killers, and the newly developed S-EG-XMP-ST-XT-AT-
CRC-3000000 recording process which can record 24 hours of the entire
electromagnetic spectrum on one tape.

	There'll be a shakeout, and the market will re-organize, and things
will be fine again.

	DISCLAIMER:  I'm not an economist, just an Amiga hacker, so I
probably have absolutely no idea what I'm talking about.  I agree there will
be a downturn in the industry, but I don't think it will be as bad as Mr.
Bass suggests.

	I hope....

Leo L. Schwab -- The Guy in The Cape	ihnp4!ptsfa -\
 \_ -_		Recumbent Bikes:	      dual ---> !{well,unicom}!ewhac

zrm@eddie.MIT.EDU (Zigurd R. Mednieks) (01/31/88)

In article <1105@polyslo.UUCP> jbass@polyslo.UUCP (John L Bass) writes:
>... To my surprise it seems that
>another 1982/1983 style PC market adjustment is about to happen. I.E. the
>rapid market growth can not be supported by the total market size.
>I use PC to mean Personal Computers of all types -- Apple, IBM, and clones.

Market saturation? It happened long ago.

The number of PCs out there is still dwarfed by the number of 6502 machines
out there, even if most of those are mouldering in closets. The number
of Macintoshes is dwarfed by the PC market it is taking market share
from. And, in turn, the Macintoshes dwarf the number of Sun 4-class
RISC-based machines. Beyond that, we have the prospect of parallel
machines coming to desktop computing. All this will take quite a bit
longer that five years to arrive, mature, and decline. I'll leave the
prognostications for what comes after to the professional futurists.

Several new waves of computing power are coming in. Which means the
industry as a whole is not going to go into a depression. It also
means that there will be massive displacement. Luckily for us, most of
the protectionist dipsticks in Congress would be too embarassed to
call for the protection of the business of making 8088-based
computers, unlike, for instance, their bailout of the business of
making claptrap Dodge Omnis.

But are people going to see the need for more powerful machines? You
bet. In one case I can think of, poeple may not like to have to buy
more powerful machines but when they see how badly OS/2 + Presentation
Manager + some hairy graphics application runs on an 80286-based
machine they will either give up on computers or write a check for an
80386-based machine. And if the folks at Apple can get their
cost-of-goods-sold under control, they will take advantage of that
situation as well.

So buck up. The end is not near. Not even in sight. But if you try to
stay in one place, you are guaranteed to get run over by the people
hurrying into the future.

-Zigurd
Zigurd Mednieks		   MURSU Corporation		(617)424-0146
			   25 Exeter Street
			   Boston, MA 02116

kent@xanth.cs.odu.edu (Kent Paul Dolan) (01/31/88)

Second the motion on the market remaining strong.  I've got two
perfectly good computers gathering dust in the apartment, because my
Amiga makes the older machines look sick.  Folks who learn to use and
love the C64's, Timex Sinclairs, and so on have only had their
appetites whetted for newer and better toys.  Business that can't live
without word processing, spreadsheet, and slide creation software now
will find hypertext, interactive visually modelled resource flow
simulation, and animation presentation graphics equally vital a step
down the road.

If the economy undergoes a general recession, then people will tighten
belts and make do; this may hurt the home market, but the business
market will be looking for new efficiencies, and there will be all
these promising new programs, and the techie new machines on which
they run, looking like a worried comptrollers dream.

Kent, the man from xanth.

jr@bbn.com (John Robinson) (02/02/88)

In article <1105@polyslo.UUCP>, jbass@polyslo (John L Bass) writes:
>The following are my opinions and best crystal ball readings ... I welcome
>any sound arguments which make the following predictions without merit.

>	13) In this election year it would be wise to vote for canidates that
>	are more conservative financially and support US technical industries.
>	Congress will have to carefully examine our technical industry and
>	make sure that supports are in place via research funds and contracts
>	for products to keep our options open for the future.

I won't comment on the obvious lack of support for all the economic
arguments; others have been doing fine on that score.  I do find the
above pair of sentences a bit contradictory.  The conservatives are
the ones that don't want to spend money on worker-support programs or
protectionist tariffs.  The only "supports" these types will put in
are likely to have little impact on the PC industry (however defined)
that is discussed in the article.  SDI and ARPA have little to do with
clone makers.  The retraining implied above will not make it in the
face of budget-slashing.