[sci.electronics] Coffee Makers

lawrence@bbn.COM (Gabriel Lawrence) (01/28/88)

Regina_Anne_Levin@cup.portal.com writes:

>     I have a Krups coffee maker that I dearly love.  I
>would like to decalcify it.  In the past, I've run vinegar
>diluted with water through coffee makers that I haven't
>been as fond of.  In the instructions that came with the
>Krups, they tell you to buy Krups decalcifying agent for
>this, and do not comment upon using vinegar.
>
>     Is there any reason not to use vinegar?  I am not
>willing to risk damaging the coffee maker.

Let me guess, Krups uses a special imported German blend of only the
finest acetic acids, hand filterd by Juan Valdez... :-)  Just Kidding!!
Actually I generally clean my scummy coffee makers with full-strength
white vinegar as a demineralizing agent too and have always had just
dandy results (although Boston water isn't all that 'hard' to begin with).
You can go ahead and order Krups special decalcifying agent but I'll bet
my bottom dollar that you'll just be paying a premium for plain old everyday
vinegar.

=Gabe Lawrence=
=BBN Communications=

jack@cs.hw.ac.uk (Jack Campin) (01/30/88)

Expires:

>>     I have a Krups coffee maker that I dearly love.  I
>>would like to decalcify it.  In the past, I've run vinegar
>>diluted with water through coffee makers that I haven't
>>been as fond of.  In the instructions that came with the
>>Krups, they tell you to buy Krups decalcifying agent for
>>this, and do not comment upon using vinegar.
>>     Is there any reason not to use vinegar?  I am not
>>willing to risk damaging the coffee maker.

One commercial kettle descaler I used was formic acid. I was more concerned
with the risk of damage to myself, so I never used it again. White vinegar
is fine.

Or you could always move to Scotland, where kettles don't fur up ...

<filler>
<filler>
<filler>
--
ARPA: jack%cs.glasgow.ac.uk@nss.cs.ucl.ac.uk
JANET:jack@uk.ac.glasgow.cs       USENET: ...mcvax!ukc!cs.glasgow.ac.uk!jack

) (02/02/88)

From article <2718@cup.portal.com>, by Regina_Anne_Levin@cup.portal.com:
>     I have a Krups coffee maker that I dearly love.  I
> would like to decalcify it.  In the past, I've run vinegar
> diluted with water through coffee makers that I haven't
> been as fond of.  In the instructions that came with the
> Krups, they tell you to buy Krups decalcifying agent for
>      Is there any reason not to use vinegar?  I am not
> willing to risk damaging the coffee maker.

I always use vinegar -- I have had aa Mr. Coffee, a Krups,
and now a Salton Three-in-One.  Just vinegared the thing
last week and it worked fine -- never any damage.

usually use about 2 cups of white vinegar per pot of
water.  Then I run clear water through the brew cycle
twice.  (I can't imagine how bad coffee with vinegar
would be!)

-- AMB

welty@sunup.steinmetz (richard welty) (02/02/88)

From article <2718@cup.portal.com>, by Regina_Anne_Levin@cup.portal.com:
>     I have a Krups coffee maker that I dearly love.  I
> would like to decalcify it.  In the past, I've run vinegar
> diluted with water through coffee makers that I haven't
> been as fond of.  In the instructions that came with the
> Krups, they tell you to buy Krups decalcifying agent for

For what it's worth, the envelope of Krups decalcifying agent that
came with my coffee maker clearly says `citric acid'.   I have no
idea why they prefer it to Vinegar, but I suppose that you could
clean your coffee maker with orange juice :-)

Richard Welty   Phone H: 518-237-6307  W: 518-387-6346
                {rochester,philabs,uunet}!steinmetz!welty
                welty@ge-crd.ARPA
``join the auto-sports mailing list -- it's easy and it's fun''

rikki)) (02/05/88)

From article <9389@steinmetz.steinmetz.UUCP>, by welty@sunup.steinmetz (richard welty):
> From article <2718@cup.portal.com>, by Regina_Anne_Levin@cup.portal.com:
>>     I have a Krups coffee maker that I dearly love.  I
>> would like to decalcify it.  In the past, I've run vinegar

Vinegar (and much of the de-calc stuff you can buy) is just a mild acid
(acetic).  Try muriatic acid (hydrochloric) for a more effective calcium
remover.  Make sure that you use a weak solution and that you rinse it
thoroughly before using.
--
Rikki Welsh
Centel Information Systems