[sci.electronics] How to get rid of those white dust on TV

lew@gsg.UUCP (Paul Lew) (01/15/88)

Well, I dont know if this is the right group, sorry if this is not appropriate.

It's winter time once again. One of the recent gadget 'ultrasonic humidifer'
is very popular, but... it cause my TV, CRT, VCR all covered with a blanket
of white dust.  Someone told me that this might hurt electronics eventually.
What is your opinion?  Someone told me that using distilled water will solve
the problem since those white dust are minerals from tap water.  However, I
dont want to spend $15 a week for the distilled water.  How can I get rid
of those ignoring white dust?  Any electronic solution (like use some method
to attract those particles)?
Paul Lew			{olivea,harvard,decvax}!gsg!lew	(UUCP)
General Systems Group, 5 Manor Parkway, Salem, NH 03079	(603) 893-1000

wolfgang@mgm.mit.edu (Wolfgang Rupprecht) (01/16/88)

In article <108@gsg.UUCP> lew@gsg.UUCP (Paul Lew) writes:
>One of the recent gadget 'ultrasonic humidifer'
>is very popular, but... it cause my TV, CRT, VCR all covered with a blanket
>of white dust.  Someone told me that this might hurt electronics eventually.

I would be more woried about your lungs than any electronics. Ultrasonics
may take a bit less electric power than the old boil the water system, but
aren't you lungs worth it? (My heat here is electric, so the cost is exactly
the same for me if I use a boiling humidifier or an ultrasonic one.)

If you really want to filter the air, you can get an electrostatic air
cleaner. I picked up a "Norelco CleanAir IV" for about $80 at a
department store. It works fairly well on soot, smoke and very fine
particles.  It is definately useless for fibrous dust. I've had mine
running continiously for over a year now. The only real pain is
cleaning the aluminum filter plates. The fine black soot is fairly
water repellent.  Both "Fantastic" and "Formula 409" do a good job of
lowering the surface tension of the water enough to allow it to wash
this stuff off.

-wolfgang
---
Wolfgang Rupprecht 	ARPA: wolfgang@mgm.mit.edu (IP 18.82.0.114)
Independent Consultant  UUCP: {mit-eddie!mgm.mit.edu,mirror!mit-mgm}!wolfgang
			VOICE: Hey_Wolfgang!_(617)_267-4365

lharris@gpu.utcs.toronto.edu (Leonard Harris) (01/17/88)

Why not use one of the filter units that are sold to remove the minerals that
cause the white dust.  I've seen them sold for ~$10.00

kevin@chromo.ucsc.edu (Kevin McLoughlin) (02/03/88)

I too started getting a sore throat last November when I broke
down and started turning on the heat regularly. A humidifier sounded
like a neat high-tech solution, but I always check out appliances with Consumer
Reports first, and CR's strongly negative remarks about the
dust problems, as well as MOLD problems, dissuaded me completely
from going any further. It seems madness to me to pay lots of
money for a contraption that's going to wreck my computer terminal
unless I feed it distilled water and grow mold, amoebae, and
other critters unless I clean it every day or so with bleach
(I got this info from CR and from medical journal articles about
the allergenic potential of humidifiers), especially since I
already have allergies.

My solution has been cheap, healthy and low-tech: baking pans full
of water over my heating registers.

-----------
Susan Nordmark
Internet: kevin@chromo.UCSC.edu
UUCP: ...ucbvax!ucscc!chromo.kevin		Santa Cruz, CA

> ... It seems madness to me to pay lots of
> money for a contraption that's going to wreck my computer terminal
> unless I feed it distilled water and grow mold, amoebae, and
> other critters unless I clean it every day or so with bleach
> (I got this info from CR and from medical journal articles about
> the allergenic potential of humidifiers)...

I think you are being too harsh on the ultrasonic humidifiers.  They are
not noted for mold/etc. problems (certainly mine has nothing visible along
those lines, and it's virtually never cleaned), and the ultrasound appears
to sterilize the mist it pumps out.  The dust is a nuisance, but a simple
dust cover keeps it out of the one or two things that I really don't want
dust in.

I believe you can get ultrasonic humidifiers that have a filter cartridge
to purify the water on the way in.  (It needs replacing now and then, of
course.)

> My solution has been cheap, healthy and low-tech: baking pans full
> of water over my heating registers.

I used to do something along those lines.  An ultrasonic humidifier is
considerably better, in my opinion.  (Note that I don't have significant
allergy problems, which might change things.)

PS Have you considered the mold, amoebae, etc. that are probably growing
in your baking pans?
--
Those who do not understand Unix are |  Henry Spencer @ U of Toronto Zoology
condemned to reinvent it, poorly.    | {allegra,ihnp4,decvax,utai}!utzoo!henry

wtm@neoucom.UUCP (Bill Mayhew) (02/07/88)

I talked my landlord into installing a humidifier on the furnace in
the house I rent.  It certainly has made life much more comforable.

I did some checking, and found that a flow-though type is best.  In
a flow-though humidifier, hot water is dribbled over wire mesh that
the air blows through.  Other than the water valve, the operation
is totally passive.  Since the design is flow-through, the normally
nasty yuck that would accumulate goes down the drain.-- Of course,
you have to have a drain somewhere to dispose of the yuck that
drips out.  This design produces no white dust, and only requires
checking up on the mesh every couple of years or so.  If the mesh
gets real crusty, it is replaced.

The brand I had installed was April Aire, but there are other
companies too.  With labor, etc. the bill came to a litle over
$200.

--Bill