[sci.electronics] IR photodiodes LEDs

ramesh@whuts.UUCP (RAMESH) (02/09/88)

Could somebody on the net suggest to me the appropriate photodiode and
IR LED to use for IR remote control systems. (The same type as used on
remote TVs, VCRs etc.)

I tried some Radio Shack Phototransistors but were too slow to
detect the modulation from my TV remote.
Thanks for any help.

N. Ramesh @ ATT Bell Labs, Whippany, NJ
--
N. Ramesh

psfales@ihlpe.ATT.COM (Pete Fales) (02/12/88)

In article <3719@whuts.UUCP>, ramesh@whuts.UUCP (RAMESH) writes:
> Could somebody on the net suggest to me the appropriate photodiode and
> IR LED to use for IR remote control systems. (The same type as used on
> remote TVs, VCRs etc.)
>
> I tried some Radio Shack Phototransistors but were too slow to
> detect the modulation from my TV remote.
> Thanks for any help.

I went through this some process about a year ago, and got several
helpful responses from the net (about speeding up bipolar phototransistors).
However, nobody had the right answer which I eventually stumbled upon myself:
Most bipolar photdiodes and phototransistors have switching speeds on the
order of tens of microseconds.  Since the IR remotes use carrier frequencies
with clock periods of around 25 microseconds, this does not work too
well.

You need to use a PIN (Positive-Intrinsic-Negative) photodiode.  Radio
Shack does not sell any.  I used an SFH205 from Active Electronics,
Framingham MA.  The Texas Instruments TIL413 has been used for similar
projects in Byte magazine.

--
Peter Fales		UUCP:	...ihnp4!ihlpe!psfales
			work:	(312) 979-7784