[sci.electronics] Extremely small transmitter - help!

per-el@obelix.liu.se (Per Elmdahl) (02/03/88)

Hello, world!\n

A friend of mine wanted some advice, so I decided to ask the Net!

My friend is attending a course where he is going to make an
electronic construction. His project consists of constructing
and building a tiny transmitter for measuring the temperature
in the stomach of a snake! (Can you believe it?). Now he is
wondering about how to make such a small tranmitter, how to
power it, and how to make an antenna. (Please no jokes about
half-wave snakes :-) )

If you have any ideas about making such a device, please let me
know via e-mail or on the net.

--
 / Per Elmdahl  SM5OCI  ( enea!liuida!obelix!per-el , per-el@obelix.liu.se )

In article <1434@obelix.liu.se>, per-el@obelix.liu.se (Per Elmdahl) writes:
> My friend is attending a course where he is going to make an
> electronic construction. His project consists of constructing
> and building a tiny transmitter for measuring the temperature
> in the stomach of a snake! (Can you believe it?). Now he is
> wondering about how to make such a small tranmitter, how to
> power it, and how to make an antenna.

	And y'all thought that tunnel diodes were dead...  Consider using
an FM transmitter operating in the 88-108 MHz region which is built around
a tunnel diode (like a GE 1N3712 or equivalent).  The power supply need be
only a single 1.3 volt mercury hearing aid battery.  With some clever
design, the tunnel diode need be the only active component; a thermistor
can be used to frequency modulate the transmitter signal.  The resultant
temperature-frequency function will be highly non-linear, but this is
certainly no problem in this age of computer data reduction.  Under the
circumstances (snake in a captive environment), RF power in the hundreds
of microwatts range is quite satisfactory - the tunnel diode will do this
job nicely.

	There are a number of other circuit design possiblities, including
those of totally passive devices - but the tunnel diode approach is the
simplest to implement for this application.

	Incidently, during the latter 1950's when the tunnel diode was
thought to revolutionize the semiconductor world, tunnel diodes were
used in transmitter "medicine capsules" that medical researchers had people
swallow to study human digestion in vivo.  There were quite a few press
releases about this application at the time.  The transmitters primarily
measured pressure or picked up digestive sounds; the latter application
is subject to some amusing speculation... :-)

<>  Larry Lippman @ Recognition Research Corp., Clarence, New York
<>  UUCP:  {allegra|ames|boulder|decvax|rutgers|watmath}!sunybcs!kitty!larry
<>  VOICE: 716/688-1231        {hplabs|ihnp4|mtune|utzoo|uunet}!/
<>  FAX:   716/741-9635 {G1,G2,G3 modes}   "Have you hugged your cat today?"

bill@sigma.UUCP (William Swan) (02/05/88)

In article <1434@obelix.liu.se> per-el@obelix.liu.se (Per Elmdahl) writes:
>His project consists of constructing
>and building a tiny transmitter for measuring the temperature
>in the stomach of a snake! (Can you believe it?). Now he is
>wondering about how to make such a small tranmitter, how to
>power it, and how to make an antenna. (Please no jokes about
>half-wave snakes :-) )

About 20 years ago (sometime from January 1967 to May 1968) Scientific
American had a construction article (in a regular column called, I think,
The Amateur Scientist?) for just such a beastie. Memory says it was nothing
more than a small one-germanium-transistor RF oscillator operating in the
AM broadcast radio band (540-1600 KHz).

I don't recall exactly how temperature measurement was performed - but I
think that the transmitting frequency was a function of temperature. The
author calibrated his device before feeding it to his dog, and used it to
measure the temperature through the canine's tract - until one day he quit
receiving signals from it. I think I hardly need say why (nor how and where
he finally found the device! :-)

I built a couple of these devices, but as a poverty-stricken teenager had
to use parts on hand. Still, they ended up being about half the size of your
thumb, battery included, so I know they could be made much smaller. They had
a useful range, with my insensitive two-transistor radio, of a couple feet.
(And no, Bosco and Mani were never fed one.)

--
William Swan  {ihnp4,decvax,allegra,...}!uw-beaver!tikal!sigma!bill
-The Society for the Preservation of the 1979 Book of Common Prayer  :-)

max@trinity.uucp (Max Hauser) (02/05/88)

In article <2388@kitty.UUCP> larry@kitty.UUCP (Larry Lippman) writes:
>an FM transmitter operating in the 88-108 MHz region which is built around
>a tunnel diode (like a GE 1N3712 or equivalent).  The power supply need be
>only a single 1.3 volt mercury hearing aid battery.

I agree; I've built these, they're not difficult. The battery is the
largest part. Use eighth-watt or smaller resistors if you use a
voltage divider to bias the diode into its neg-R region.

The neatest thing about the project, of course, if it's a snake
of moderate size, will be tracking the transmitter visually from
the outside ...

zahid@neptune.AMD.COM (Zahid Ahsanullah) (02/09/88)

In article <1434@obelix.liu.se> per-el@obelix.liu.se (Per Elmdahl) writes:

>Hello, world!\n
>
>A friend of mine wanted some advice, so I decided to ask the Net!
>
>My friend is attending a course where he is going to make an
>electronic construction. His project consists of constructing
>and building a tiny transmitter for measuring the temperature
>in the stomach of a snake! (Can you believe it?). Now he is
>--
> / Per Elmdahl  SM5OCI  ( enea!liuida!obelix!per-el , per-el@obelix.liu.se )

I don't know if this is going to be tiny enough but if he builds a bridge
circuit with one of the arms of the bridge being a 1mm dia glass thermistor
caliberated over the desired temperature range. He can then run the output
through a voltage to frequency convertor which feeds a single transister (pnp)
rf oscillator using the following specs on the tank circuit.

	1000 Pf capitor in parallel with a coil made up of
	30 turns of 25 SWG wire center tapped at 15 turns.

This would give him a short range transmitter of maybe 100 ft if powered
with 4.5 volts, transmitting at top band range. The transister used can be
any low power oscillator (AF117 is a good one). The receiver should be capable
of converting frequency to temperature.

Circuits similar to the one I've described can be found in any electronics
circuits manual type books. Have him look under microphone transmitters.

Hope this helps him somewhat.

					regards
					 Zahid

newsuser@LU.Se (Lund Institute of Technology news server) (02/12/88)

All this talk about small transmitters are interesting.
Could anyone (L.Lippman?) give an example of a transmitter using tunnel diode?
(Especially with some sort of modulation)
(Or is that violating any laws to publish such a beast? :-)
Joergen Haegg				jh@efd.lu.se
EFD
Lund Institute of Technology		Sweden