In article <109@richp1.UUCP> robert@richp1.UUCP (Robert Miller) writes:

   From: robert@richp1.UUCP (Robert Miller)
   Newsgroups: misc.consumers,sci.electronics
   Date: 11 Feb 88 15:27:40 GMT

   When I record or play back a tape on my VCR (Sears brand), The unit
   makes a rather annoying squealing sound like a cricket.  Certainly
   this can't be normal.  The VCR is about two years old.  Don't remember
   this being a problem until recently.  There is no audio or video
   distortion.  How does one eliminate this noise?

Some VCRs control the speed of the head drum by providing a motor that
wants to turn it slightly too fast and using an electromagnetically
controlled brake.

Some such brakes are eddy current brakes [no mechanical contact] but
others are mechanical [ecch].

Probably you need to have it done, but it shouldn't be too expensive.

   "To open, cut along dotted line."
   ________________________________
			      _____\______________________________________________
			     /      |          Robert Miller @ ihnp4!richp1!robert
			    |       |
			     \_____/

-dk

charette@edsews.EDS.COM (Mark A. Charette) (02/14/88)

In article <109@richp1.UUCP>, robert@richp1.UUCP (Robert Miller) writes:

> When I record or play back a tape on my VCR (Sears brand), The unit
> makes a rather annoying squealing sound like a cricket.  Certainly
> this can't be normal.  The VCR is about two years old.  Don't remember
> this being a problem until recently.  There is no audio or video
> distortion.  How does one eliminate this noise?

Mike_W_Ryan@cup.portal.com (02/15/88)

Another possibilty for the crickets is the grounding button on the head
cylinder. This is a very common problem with many major brands. Upon
examination of the head cylinder where it mounts to the shaft, you will
likely see a kind of leaf spring riding on the shaft. Sometimes, the
spring shifts a litlle off center, hence, the noise as it touces parts of
the head cylinder it is not intended. If this is your problem, it's easy
to check and very easy to fix (just looses the set screw and move it
back where it belongs).