[sci.electronics] HELP!! NEED HELP!!

gmw8868@fedeva.UUCP (02/10/88)

Help me please. I am in dire need of a black box or some sort
of smart Video card for our AT computers that will run EGA and
also create a composite video signal which can be fed into our
Cable TV System on our broadband LAN system.

Does anyone know of a EGA/RGB convertor to Composite Video encoder
that is less than $15,000.00???

I need info ASAP...

Thanx
Mitch

! Mitch Wood @ FEDERAL EXPRESS Memphis, TN   | Fill in the .signature         !
! ..!gatech!emcard!fedeva!gmw8868            | "____________________________" !

karl@lrakAT.UUCP (1602) (02/13/88)

In article <259@fedeva.UUCP> gmw8868@fedeva.UUCP (Mitch Wood) writes:
>Help me please. I am in dire need of a black box or some sort
>of smart Video card for our AT computers that will run EGA and
>also create a composite video signal which can be fed into our
>Cable TV System on our broadband LAN system.
>
>Does anyone know of a EGA/RGB convertor to Composite Video encoder
>that is less than $15,000.00???

I am also looking for such a device, it seems unfortunate that one
must buy an Amiga with a genlock device to get real, usable composite
video.  I am not sure why this is so hard, but their must be a market
for it.  I have a CGA (with very bad monochrome composite output).
video card.

Thanks for any info (although I know no one will respond!).

Karl Vollbrecht                     V    O    L   l   b  r  e c ht
(414) 358-1180 / 961-1602                 c o n s u l t i n g

ali@rocky.STANFORD.EDU (Ali Ozer) (02/13/88)

In article <173@lrakAT.UUCP> Karl Vollbrecht writes:
>In article <259@fedeva.UUCP> gmw8868@fedeva.UUCP (Mitch Wood) writes:
>>Does anyone know of a EGA/RGB convertor to Composite Video encoder
>>that is less than $15,000.00???
>I am also looking for such a device, it seems unfortunate that one
>must buy an Amiga with a genlock device to get real, usable composite
>video. ...

You don't need genlock to get composite; an Amiga 1000 provides composite
signal directly, or you get a $40 RGB to composite converter (such as the
Commodore A520 or the C-Ltd unit whose name I forget) to get color
composite from an Amiga 500 or Amiga 2000. The genlock unit, in addition,
gives you the capability to overlay Amiga graphics on an external video
source...

Well you say, what good does an Amiga genlock do? Well, go get yourself
an Amiga 2000 with an XT card (the Bridgeboard) and a $160 AmiGen genlock.
You can run *all* IBM software, all Amiga software, and get a wonderful
composite signal (from Amiga side, or IBM side, or both!), and genlocking
as a bonus. All for under $2500... The system even allows you to run
IBM software at full speed concurrently with Amiga software.

Ali Ozer, ali@rocky.stanford.edu

dlleigh@mit-amt.MEDIA.MIT.EDU (Darren L. Leigh) (02/14/88)

In article <173@lrakAT.UUCP> karl@lrakAT.UUCP (Karl Vollbrecht (414) 358-1180 / 961-1602) writes:
>In article <259@fedeva.UUCP> gmw8868@fedeva.UUCP (Mitch Wood) writes:
>>Help me please. I am in dire need of a black box or some sort
>>of smart Video card for our AT computers that will run EGA and
>>also create a composite video signal which can be fed into our
>>Cable TV System on our broadband LAN system.
>>
>>Does anyone know of a EGA/RGB convertor to Composite Video encoder
>>that is less than $15,000.00???
>
>I am also looking for such a device, [ . . . ]

There is a product called the EGA Wonder card (I think, it's something
like that) that will allow you to display any graphics mode (mono,
CGA, EGA) on any monitor (NTSC, EGA, mono (I think)).  It does
dithering and things to get the desired effect.  I haven't seen one of
the cards myself and I don't know who makes the card but I do know a
dealer who sells it: Avacado Computer in Yorba Linda, CA.  Their phone
number is (714) 528-1025.  Avacado Computer specializes in video and
does custom work, too.  When I dealt with them I found them to be very
competent.

king@dciem.UUCP (Stephen King) (02/17/88)

In article <173@lrakAT.UUCP> karl@lrakAT.UUCP (Karl Vollbrecht (414) 358-1180 / 961-1602) writes:
>In article <259@fedeva.UUCP> gmw8868@fedeva.UUCP (Mitch Wood) writes:
>>Does anyone know of a EGA/RGB convertor to Composite Video encoder
>>that is less than $15,000.00???

Yes. There is one advertised for $300 - $400. I think it was in Byte,
but can't be sure. If I remember correctly, it is an ANALOG RGB->NTSC
convertor. A few transistors will convert RGBi -> analog RGB for use
with this device.

>I am also looking for such a device, it seems unfortunate that one
>must buy an Amiga with a genlock device to get real, usable composite
>video.  I am not sure why this is so hard, but their must be a market
>for it.  I have a CGA (with very bad monochrome composite output).
>video card.

Wait a minute - the genlock adaptor is NOT necessary to get composite
video from an Amiga (1000) - it is available at an RCA jack on the rear
of the Amiga (1000). The genlock provides synchronization with an external
video source. I don't know about the 2000.

>Thanks for any info (although I know no one will respond!).
Just to prove you wrong :-)

Elektor Electronics magazine (British), in their _Summer Circuits 86_
issue, gave a simple schematic for a CGA -> monochrome video combiner.
Use this to convert digital video to analog. Use three (modified slightly)
to convert RGBi to analog RGB.
Motorola make the MC1377 composite video encoder. Use this to convert
RGB -> NTSC. We built the circuit from the Motorola application notes
and it works OK. Mail me if you have questions. Flames OK too (help
cut down on my heating bill).

To keep warm in winter, we in the Great White North GET DOWN.

				Regards, Stephen J King.
--
    * Defence & Civil Institute *    {decvax|ihnp4|watmath}!utzoo!dciem!king
    * of Environmental Medicine *          or    uwbeaver!utcsri!dciem!king