[sci.electronics] Beating Robocop

ralphw@IUS3.IUS.CS.CMU.EDU (Ralph Hyre) (02/19/88)

Does 5th amendment protection apply in cases like this?  It would seem that if
your countermeasures are serious enough ('interfering with a police officer')
to warrant a criminal suit rather than a civil one ('speeding'), then you
might legitimately be able to take the 5th, and

I'm suprised that no one has suggested spoofing the radar.  I can understand
the admirable restraint of the rec.ham-radio community, since proposing
something that would violate FCC regs.

Making the license plate 'invisible' to the camera is a neat hack.
The original post didn't make clear whether the photo takes a picture of the
front of the car or the back.  In some states (PA & WVA), front plates are not
required, and people tend to buy 'bumper-sticker' style plates for their cars.
In PA, this is a popular one:

Normal rear plate		'hack' front plate
+-----------------------+	+-----------------------+
|You've got a friend in	|	|You've got a friend in	|
|                       |	|                       |
|   XXX XXX		|	|     JESUS		|
|			|	|			|
| T   Pennsylvania	|	|     Pennsylvania	|
+----------------------+-	+----------------------+-

Anyway, I recall a story about a guy with 'NONE' on a vanity plate, and
he ended up with a lot of extra parking tickets.  I see the same thing
happening here, except with more amusing results.

--
					- Ralph W. Hyre, Jr.

Internet: ralphw@ius2.cs.cmu.edu    Phone:(412)268-{2847,3275} CMU-{BUGS,DARK}
Amateur Packet Radio: N3FGW@W2XO, or c/o W3VC, CMU Radio Club, Pittsburgh, PA

todd@uop.edu (Dr. Nethack) (02/21/88)

In article <901@PT.CS.CMU.EDU>, ralphw@IUS3.IUS.CS.CMU.EDU (Ralph Hyre) writes:
> Anyway, I recall a story about a guy with 'NONE' on a vanity plate, and
> he ended up with a lot of extra parking tickets.  I see the same thing
> happening here, except with more amusing results.

It was a guy in california, who put his request in for a personal plate.
They did not have the one he put and on the option line he put "no plate"
meaning to him he did not want anything other than his choice..

He began to get numerous tickets from all over the state, of course for
"no plate".  Subsequently, the phrase used by the police was changed..

It was mentioned on the radio report, I should have written it down, and
gotten another plate done!

:-)

dclaar@hpcupt1.HP.COM (Doug Claar) (02/23/88)

> that the reason California
> was testing the reflective license plates out, was that there was a
> device being tested to read them from a distance...

Yeah, and the whole world is out to get you :-(  The drive for reflective
plates was spearheaded by a parent whose child was killed when he (?)
ran into a disabled vehicle at night. With reflective plates, he might
have seen the car in time.

Doug Claar
HP Information Technology Group
UUCP: { ihnp4 | mcvax!decvax }!hplabs!hpda!dclaar -or- ucbvax!hpda!dclaar
ARPA: dclaar%hpda@hplabs.HP.COM

madd@bu-cs.BU.EDU (Jim Frost) (02/23/88)

In article <7110005@hpcupt1.HP.COM> dclaar@hpcupt1.HP.COM (Doug Claar) writes:
>The drive for reflective
>plates was spearheaded by a parent whose child was killed when he (?)
>ran into a disabled vehicle at night. With reflective plates, he might
>have seen the car in time.

Granted that this doesn't belong in sci.electronics, but I have a
query and a comment to this.

First, if the child had lights on whatever he (?) was driving, he
should have seen the reflectors on the automobile (or was this
particular automobile one of those that wasn't constructed with
reflectors? :-).  If he didn't have lights, reflective plates wouldn't
have mattered anyway.  Or was the car sufficiently disabled as to have
no reflectors?  I picture a completely destroyed car in the middle of
the highway.

Second, how long ago was this?  In NH they started using reflective
plates something like 8 years ago (more than that?  my memory is
fuzzy).  I thought that they were used to allow plate reading at
longer distances in low light.

jim frost
madd@bu-it.bu.edu

dclaar@hpcupt1.HP.COM (Doug Claar) (02/25/88)

> Granted that this doesn't belong in sci.electronics, but I have a
> query and a comment to this.

I've followed up offline.