[sci.electronics] x-10 questions

todd@uop.edu (Dr. Chrontab) (02/02/88)

Now that everyone has hooked up the x-10 to everything except the
toilet...

What will it do to your power supply (i.e. breakers or fuses)

when you punch "all lights on" and this is lots of power??

I get a hum on my panel with just a few, let alone the floodlights
my dad wants installed..

--just curious

---

"It is not a matter of if,                  ...rutgers!retix!\
 but of when, and how."        ...ames!ucbcad!ucbvax!ucdavis!uop!todd
                                  ...uunet!lll-winken!cogent!/

jerry@oliveb.olivetti.com (Jerry Aguirre) (02/24/88)

In article <1010@uop.edu> todd@uop.edu (Dr. Chrontab) writes:
>Now that everyone has hooked up the x-10 to everything except the
>toilet...
>
>What will it do to your power supply (i.e. breakers or fuses)
>
>when you punch "all lights on" and this is lots of power??

I doubt that you will have any problem with lights.  A distribution
system such as your house has is limited in total power but is too small
to be affected by sudden changes.  The power station and distribution
grid is affected by sudden changes but I doubt that they will notice
what one house is doing.

The exception to this is turn on surge.  Some devices draw a lot more
current when first turned on.  Motors are the worst culprit.  A 10 Amp
motor might draw >40 amps for a few seconds.  This is why air
conditioners frequently require "slow-blow" fuses.  Floresent lights,
electronics, and even incendesent lamps also have a turn on surge but it
is usually not a problem.

As the "all lights on" button will only turn on the incandesent lights,
which are the least offender, I doubt you will have any problem.

richard@islenet.UUCP (Richard Foulk) (02/25/88)

> As the "all lights on" button will only turn on the incandesent lights,
> which are the least offender, I doubt you will have any problem.

Is that right?  When I hit the "all off" button my appliance modules
respond too.  (It's too late to try the "all on" just now.)

Most of my modules are from Radio Shaft.

--
Richard Foulk		...{vortex,ihnp4}!islenet!richard
Honolulu, Hawaii