[sci.electronics] EXCEPTIONS TO THE RULE!

sorgatz@ttidca.TTI.COM ( Avatar) (02/26/88)

In article <5102@sdcrdcf.UUCP> faigin@sdcrdcf.UUCP (Daniel P Faigin) writes:
>I am a member of a CB club based in the San Fernando Valley
>(Greater Los Angeles), California.  The legal name of this club
>is "Valley CBers Inc." -- informally it is called the "Over the
>Hill Gang".

 << and a bunch of other stuff about this public-spirited group. >>

 Yes, you are correct. The OTHG is a stunning example of the usefulness
that CB radio can provide. My congratulations on the exellent service
that it gives our community. I have listened in on ch 14 from time to
time myself and found the traffic reports quite useful. It is this kind
of exception, however that proves the rule. Listen to ch 14 _AFTER_ 8pm,
listen to some of the, ahem, 'offspring' using MOM&DAD'S base, listen
to the wonderfully glowing dialect, the use of such proper language...
..some of these little marvels are growing up in homes where the CB is
used by the MOM&DAD to communicate on ch 14 on a daily basis...do I
need to remind you about some of the interesting infighting that goes
on in the L.A./Valley on 11 meters?? About some of the beautifully
caring events that result when the "ROGE-O's" and the OTHG had-it-out
over "DXing" on ch 14 during 'mobile time'??....I'm sure you remember
that stuff..

>As with any medium, it is the special cases that bring about a
>reputation. Yes, there are twits on the airwaves. There are
>people who like to blast across the country with their power.
>There are twits who like to send dead carriers and misuse the
>airwaves. We don't like them either.
 You're absolutly right. There couldn't be more that few million four
letter words used on CB in a given day...;-) Tell you what, listen to
ch 23 or ch 26 some evening...listen to all the inane truckers that
just cannot seem to remember that 31-40 are used for sideband in L.A.
and then ask yourself how the 'Band would sound with the buzz of
packet radio added, fed into a General MC9, bloody-widebanded A.M.
rig, with one of those Wunnerful 10-sweep tube "linear" amps that
all the 'Big-Straps' run...wouldn't that just sound 10-8!?? :-)

>But it is wrong to characterize the entire users of the spectrum
>as "braindead, burntout Kids". Would it be correct to
>characterize ham radio users as braindead, burntout engineers? :-)

 You're right, I should have added a scalar-K to reference the
true picture, and I should have mentioned that there are some
clubs, groups and individuals (like OTHG, and yourself, obviously)
that are using the 11 meter band for it's intended purpose, and
without violating part 95. I think that the constant would be a
number VERY close to 1.0....unfortunately.
>Daniel Faigin   ---  "Otherbeast"  ---   OTHG Channel 14

 yeah, great, I used to have one of those too...now I'm just me...
..unless I get on ch 26 to politely ask the kids to please stop
running their amps so loud that I can't hear 10 meters..;-) Then
I'm  --- "The Infinity" --- '73 Dan and here's hoping you will
at least consider upgrading to Amateur Radio, not everyone up
there is as gruff as I am. cul.
--
-Avatar-> (aka: Erik K. Sorgatz) KB6LUY           +-------------------------+
Citicorp(+)TTI                          *----------> panic trap; type = N+1 *