[sci.electronics] Leadless chip carriers

night@pawl3.pawl.rpi.edu (Arthur L. Martin) (02/24/88)

Does anyone know where I can get a wirewrap socket for a 68 pin
leadless chip carrier?  I know it's an oddball part, but I need
one.  Or how about a reasonable way to fudge it?  Any help would
be appreciated.
--
Trip Martin
night%pawl@itsgw.rpi.edu

patch@nscpdc.NSC.COM (Pat Chewning) (02/29/88)

In article <411@imagine.PAWL.RPI.EDU>, night@pawl3.pawl.rpi.edu (Arthur L. Martin) writes:
> Does anyone know where I can get a wirewrap socket for a 68 pin
> leadless chip carrier?  I know it's an oddball part, but I need
> one.  Or how about a reasonable way to fudge it?  Any help would
> be appreciated.

I would suggest one from Augat or Advanced Interconnects. They are not
really "sockets", but "adaptors".

What you do is solder your LCC (leadless chip carrier) onto an adaptor that
has circuits routed onto pins.  Then you can use pin sockets on the board,
or solder the pins directly into the board.

AMP makes a real LCC socket, but the pins of the socket are short and round,
not intended for wire wrapping.

					Pat Chewning
					NSC Portland Development Center
					15201 NW Greenbriar Pkwy
					Beaverton, OR 97006

dbraun@cadev4.intel.com (Doug Braun ~) (03/02/88)

In article <411@imagine.PAWL.RPI.EDU> you write:
>Does anyone know where I can get a wirewrap socket for a 68 pin
>leadless chip carrier?  I know it's an oddball part, but I need
>one.  Or how about a reasonable way to fudge it?  Any help would
>be appreciated.
>--

The best way is to get a regular soldertail PLCC socket, and a 68-pin
wirewrap socket, and plug the PLCC socket into it.  You can get both of
these from a place called Anchor Electronics, in Santa Clara
Cal. (Area Code 408).  Call Directory info for their number, and see if they do
mail-order.  Also if you need to ever swap chips, you can put the new chip
into its own PLCC socket, and plug it into the wire-wrap one.
(It's virtually impossible to get a chip out of a PLCC socket without some
special tool).

Doug Braun				Intel Corp CAD
					408 496-5939

 / decwrl \
 | hplabs |
-| oliveb |- !intelca!mipos3!cadev4!dbraun
 | amd    |
 \ qantel /