[sci.electronics] CB is a sewer

faigin@sdcrdcf.UUCP (Daniel P Faigin) (02/24/88)

In article <1943@ttidca.TTI.COM>, sorgatz@ttidcb.tti.com (Erik Sorgatz) writes:
>CB radio is a sewer, the majority of CB
>users are braindead, burntout Kids that have so little to do with their
>miserable lives they congragate around the 11 meter band hoping for any
>kind of amusement.

I occasionally read rec.ham-radio. When I find an occasional
article on CB radio, it is generally blasting the CBers. This
attitude upsets me.

I am a member of a CB club based in the San Fernando Valley
(Greater Los Angeles), California.  The legal name of this club
is "Valley CBers Inc." -- informally it is called the "Over the
Hill Gang". The purpose of this club is threefold:

	1) to exchange traffic information on the I-405 freeway
	during rush hours -- this benefits not only club members but
	others who monitor channel 14 (the channel the club uses).
	This is a form of SERVICE.

	2) to perform a SAFETY service, by notifying base
	stations (either REACTS or club members with base stations or
	cellular telephones) of traffic accidents that do not have police
	or ambulances on the scene.

	3) to provide a SOCIAL outlet for club members -- garage
	sales, hayrides, picnics, spagetti dinners, etc.

The club has over 200 members, I think. The occupations of these
members range from professionals such as lawyers or engineers to
auto mechanics to small business owners to ... you name it.

As with any medium, it is the special cases that bring about a
reputation. Yes, there are twits on the airwaves. There are
people who like to blast across the country with their power.
There are twits who like to send dead carriers and misuse the
airwaves. We don't like them either.

But it is wrong to characterize the entire users of the spectrum
as "braindead, burntout Kids". Would it be correct to
characterize ham radio users as braindead, burntout engineers? :-)

Daniel Faigin   ---  "Otherbeast"  ---   OTHG Channel 14

--
W: UNiSYS/Defense Systems/System Development Group
   2400 Colorado MD 91-01;Santa Monica CA 90406;213/829-7511 x6393

kmd@sdcsmb.sm.unisys.com (Karen M. Davis) (03/02/88)

In article <5102@sdcrdcf.UUCP> faigin@sdcrdcf.UUCP (Daniel P Faigin) writes:
>In article <1943@ttidca.TTI.COM>, sorgatz@ttidcb.tti.com (Erik Sorgatz) writes:
>>CB radio is a sewer, the majority of CB
>>users are braindead, burntout Kids that have so little to do with their
>>miserable lives they congragate around the 11 meter band hoping for any
>>kind of amusement.
>
>I am a member of a CB club based in the San Fernando Valley
>(Greater Los Angeles), California.  The legal name of this club
>is "Valley CBers Inc." -- informally it is called the "Over the
>Hill Gang". The purpose of this club is threefold:
>
>	1) to exchange traffic information on the I-405 freeway
>	during rush hours -- this benefits not only club members but
>	others who monitor channel 14 (the channel the club uses).
>	This is a form of SERVICE.
>
>	2) to perform a SAFETY service, by notifying base
>	stations (either REACTS or club members with base stations or
>	cellular telephones) of traffic accidents that do not have police
>	or ambulances on the scene.
>
>	3) to provide a SOCIAL outlet for club members -- garage
>	sales, hayrides, picnics, spagetti dinners, etc.
>
>The club has over 200 members, I think. The occupations of these
>members range from professionals such as lawyers or engineers to
>auto mechanics to small business owners to ... you name it.
>
>Daniel Faigin   ---  "Otherbeast"  ---   OTHG Channel 14

As another member of the "Over the Hill Gang", I thought I would add
my $0.02 to this discussion.  I do a *lot* of work-related driving for
my job, alone.  So does my mom.  I can get help anywhere on the LA freeways
a *lot* faster by using my rig than by getting to the "one every 1/4 mile
call box" on the freeways.  I know which channels the twits are on, and
where the serious drivers are.  I have saved much time and aggravation
by getting traffic reports from other OTHG members on the 405-corridor
(one night, it saved me at least 45 minutes -- someone told me not to
get on the freeway at my normal spot -- I didn't -- and he was still
several miles back by the time I got home), and from truckers on many of the
other routes that I travel (being a lone female *does* have a few
advantages when it comes to dealing with MCPs ;-).

I enjoy the social aspects of the club, and the traffic reports help.  Last
week, we called someone on a base to get a hazardous driver removed from the
road.  The CHP know us, and when we call in, they respond.  I also
discovered (by accident) one morning that LAPD regularly monitors OTHG
reports -- seems that someone we know as K9 is actually the human half of
an LAPD K-9 unit (with police band back-up).  Would the LAPD and CHP
regularly respond to the rantings of a bunch of "brain-dead kids"?  I
sincerely doubt it.

One other question for those of you who hate CB so much:  what would
you say about those of your own (hams) that use CBs?  I know several
members of the OTHG who regularly use Channel 14 until they get close enough
to hit the Valencia 3m repeater with their low-power mobiles (T.O.M., where
are you when we need you?)

Karen Davis -- "Silver Lady" -- OTHG Channel 14

--
Email: kmd@sdcrdcf.UUCP (uucp) kmd@RDCF.SM.UNISYS.COM (arpa)
Work : UNiSYS/DS/System Development Group; 2400 Colorado; Santa Monica CA 90406