[sci.electronics] build-it-yourself EPROM erasers

brian@ucsd.EDU (Brian Kantor) (02/10/88)

Easy to do.  Go to a LARGE industrial electrical, restaurant,
laundry, or hospital/sickroom supply house and buy an ultraviolet
GERMICIDAL LAMP.  This will be a small clear fluorescent-style lamp
tube.  They are typically available in either 15 or 25 watt sizes.

You will also need the two SOCKETS that it mounts in, and the BALLAST
that must be wired in series with it, a starting pushbutton
(any normally-open pushbutton rated for 115VAC will do fine - there's
very little current here), and a safety interlock switch.

I haven't priced this stuff recently, but I'd guess that it's on the
order of $20 or so.

Find a box that it will fit in that is OPAQUE and has an easily
removable lid.  I used an 8-track cartridge storage box from my local
K-mart.  Install the lamp, sockets, ballast, an AC mains power
cord, and for safety, a switch which disconnects power when you open the
lid.  See the crude circuit below.

Put some conductive foam in the bottom of the box so you can put the
EPROMS into the foam within a few inches of the lamp.  It should erase
the bits in about 1/2 hour exposure to the ultraviolet light the
germicidal lamp gives out.

Be careful.  Don't fry your eyes, and be sure to insulate everything
well so you don't zap yourself.
	- Brian

		/  safety interlock	 ballast
    AC -------./ o---------------------()()()()-|

		  ________________________	|
    AC ---------==|=\			/=|==---|
		  | }	lamp		{ |
	      |-==|=/			\=|==---|
	      |	  -------------------------     |
	      |	       ___			|
	      |--------o o----------------------|
			norm-open
			starting
			pushbutton

bobc%wings@Sun.COM (Bob Clark) (02/10/88)

In article <12@ucsd.EDU> brian@ucsd.edu (Brian Kantor) writes:
>Easy to do.  Go to a LARGE industrial electrical, restaurant,
>laundry, or hospital/sickroom supply house and buy an ultraviolet
>GERMICIDAL LAMP.  This will be a small clear fluorescent-style lamp
>tube.  They are typically available in either 15 or 25 watt sizes.

All good stuff, especially the interlock.  UV is dangerous - please
exercise a great deal of caution.

A few details:
	Most EPROMs have a sensititity to a specific wavelength,
	e.g. 253.7 nanometers for the TI TMS2732A.

	Erase time is a function of total exposure dose, which is
	the product of the intensity * time.  To quote from TI
	(I just grabbed the TMS2732A spec at random):

	"The recommended minimum exposure dose (UV intensity x exposure
	time) is fifteen watt-seconds per square centimeter."

The exposure time will vary from device type to device type.

Bob Clark
Sun Microsystems

spike@bu-cs.BU.EDU (Spike) (02/11/88)

In article <12@ucsd.EDU> brian@ucsd.edu (Brian Kantor) writes:

>Find a box that it will fit in that is OPAQUE and has an easily
>removable lid.  I used an 8-track cartridge storage box from my local
>K-mart.

	We found that a bread pan worked well.  The light was mounted
in the pan and this was placed over a board with two pegs in it that
matched two holes in the handles of the pan.

           /                                        \  <------Bread Pan
          /                                          \
         /                                            \
   []   /                                              \   [] <----Peg
===[]==/                                                \==[]===
[][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][] <-- Board
[][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][]

>Be careful.  Don't fry your eyes, and be sure to insulate everything
>well so you don't zap yourself.
>	- Brian

	"Last night I had that dream again. I dreamt I had to take a
		test, in a Dairy Queen, on another planet."
 UUCP:	...!harvard!bu-cs!bu-it!spike  ARPANET: spike@bu-it.bu.edu
      CSNET: spike@bu-it    BITNET: engemnc@bostonu "VPS sucks"

--
->Spike

gwu@clyde.ATT.COM (George Wu) (02/11/88)

     A shown in an earlier post, a pretty inexpensive and cheap UV eraser
can be built. But why not use a huge piece of expensive equipment; commonly
referred to as an oven. It can double to roast your Thanksgiving turkey, and
lots more.

     Anyways, the reasoning goes something like this: the UV light is just some
extra energy you're giving to release trapped electrons. So why not use some
other form of energy, like heat?

     This has actually been successfully done, although I can't remember the
temperature or time. I think it was half an hour at 300 degrees. Start at a
low temperature and work up to it by trial and error. One extra note, this
works only for ceramic packages. Plastic ones would probably melt and be
difficult to plug back into the sockets.

						George J Wu
						rutgers!clyde!gwu

dbraun@cadev4.intel.com (Doug Braun ~) (02/12/88)

In article <41487@sun.uucp> bobc@sun.UUCP (Bob Clark) writes:
>In article <12@ucsd.EDU> brian@ucsd.edu (Brian Kantor) writes:
>>Easy to do.  Go to a LARGE industrial electrical, restaurant,
>>laundry, or hospital/sickroom supply house and buy an ultraviolet
>>GERMICIDAL LAMP.  This will be a small clear fluorescent-style lamp
>>tube.  They are typically available in either 15 or 25 watt sizes.

An even better idea: Go to Goodwill or Salvation Army, or a garage
sale, and buy one of those old, cheap suntan lamps.  These usually
have a bulb about 1 1/2" long.  Just mount the chips 2-3" in front
of the bulb, and run it for 1/2 hour.  This has worked fine for years
for me.  These suckers are BRIGHT.  I put it in the bathroom, and close
the door until it is done.  Don't look at the lamp without goggles.
The lamps also give off lots of heat, so you might want to make a little
aluminum-foil shield, with holes in front of the EPROM windows.

Total cost: ~$3.00

While you wait, you can get a tan!  (actually, these cheap lamps
are very bad for you.  The UV is not filtered at all)

Doug Braun				Intel Corp CAD
					408 496-5939

 / decwrl \
 | hplabs |
-| oliveb |- !intelca!mipos3!cadev4!dbraun
 | amd    |
 \ qantel /

koko@uthub.toronto.edu (M. Kokodyniak) (02/12/88)

In article <21651@clyde.ATT.COM>, gwu@clyde.ATT.COM (George Wu) writes:
>      Anyways, the reasoning goes something like this: the UV light is just
> some extra energy you're giving to release trapped electrons. So why not use
> some other form of energy, like heat?
>
>      This has actually been successfully done, although I can't remember the
> temperature or time. I think it was half an hour at 300 degrees. ...

I would not want to try this, or at least not to often, since the heat may
destroy the device.  Components in the silicon wafer are formed during the
manufacturing process by controlled diffusion of impurities into selected
areas in the wafer.  Further heating might cause further diffusion which
would make these components gradually disappear.

Why else would all data sheets for silicon integrated circuits specify
a maximum ambient temperature?

Another potential problem is cracking -- this might not even be visible --
because of non-uniform heating or cooling.

andy@rbdc.UUCP (Andy Pitts) (02/15/88)

Take them to your dentist, and have him place them under his x-ray machine.
That'll erase them, and you don't even have to clean the lid.  Or you could
ship them to your self in a box labeled "Bomb". :-)  :-)  :-)

Andy Pitts   {gladys, bakerst}!rbdc!andy

straka@ihlpf.ATT.COM (Straka) (02/17/88)

In article <41487@sun.uucp> bobc@sun.UUCP (Bob Clark) writes:
>In article <12@ucsd.EDU> brian@ucsd.edu (Brian Kantor) writes:
>A few details:
>	Most EPROMs have a sensititity to a specific wavelength,
>	e.g. 253.7 nanometers for the TI TMS2732A.

Not really true.  253.7 nanometers just happens to be the primary wavelength
of the short-wave UV emitted by the typical lamps used for this application.

What this spec really means is that you can't use long-wave UV lamps (like
black lights, or mercury-vapor sun lamps) to do the job.  It also means that
you can't put ordinary glass or plastic in the light path either.  Only
special materials, such as fused quartz or some boro-silicate glasses have
the necessary transmissivity at that particular wavelength.

As for protection from light as to the erasing of your data, unless the EPROM
is marginal, the danger from typical light sources is grossly exaggerated by
most people.  When I was MAKING EPROMS back about 10 years ago (w/ Nat'l
Semi), once we put a THIN coating of polyimide on the chip as a contamination
barrier.  You could NEVER erase the data.  Same thing with Nitride
passivation.
--
Rich Straka     ihnp4!ihlpf!straka

Advice for the day: "MSDOS - just say no."

In article <698@uthub.toronto.edu> koko@uthub.toronto.edu (M. Kokodyniak) writes:
>In article <21651@clyde.ATT.COM>, gwu@clyde.ATT.COM (George Wu) writes:
>>      Anyways, the reasoning goes something like this: the UV light is just
>> some extra energy you're giving to release trapped electrons. So why not use
>> some other form of energy, like heat?
>>
>>      This has actually been successfully done, although I can't remember the
>> temperature or time. I think it was half an hour at 300 degrees. ...

WAIT A MINUTE!!! All of the above is WAY off base!  Let's get back to physics!

Let me preface my remarks by stating that 10 years ago, my job was to provide
test strategies and reliability for the first N-channel EPROMs, the 2708 and
2716.  The chips have gotten better over the years, but the physics remains
the same.

or may not be significantly better than short wave UV alone.

The electrons are stuck up in a floating gate structure in the EPROM.  To get
them off, they have to "tunnel" across the bandgap represented by the oxide
layer to the surrounding layer(s).  There is a specific threshold energy that
must be exceeded (which can vary as a result of processing parameters) in
order to tunnel.

The number of electrons which can tunnel is based on the distribution of
energy that the subject electrons posess.  This is, of course, some sort of
(probably) normal distribution given a base ambient temperature.  Raising the
temperature raises the proportion of electrons that exceed that tunneling
threshold and can tunnel across the oxide barrier.  The degree to which the
device is sensitive to temperature is known as its activation energy, which is
measured in units of electron volts.  This activation energy is empirically
determined, and typically is in the range of 0.7 to 0.8 ev.  A very small
change in activation energy has a tremendous effect on the acceleration
factor, as the relationship is exponential with the ratio of the two
temperatures (with regard to absolute zero).  See some basic college physics
(or chemistry?) text for more details.  This phenomenon is basic, and not just
related to EPROMs.

Manufacturers routinely subject EPROMs to long bakes at elevated temperatures
(usually SUBSTANTIALLY higher than the above mentioned 300 degrees F) to
ensure proper data retention of each individual part.  The object is to
simulate worst case high temperature operation for a number of years.  Any
EPROM worth its salt (so to speak :-)) will in actuality last at least 10
times the standard 5-year specification.  Good ones are quite bullet-proof.

The reason that short wave (and not long wave) UV light does the trick,
whereas heat doesn't is that the UV adds quite a kick to those electrons,
yes, enough to get them over that tunneling barrier.  That is why long wave,
which is of lower energy, doesn't work too well (if at all).  It doesn't add
enough energy to kick the electrons over the threshold.  Heat might add a
little bit, perhaps enough to make a bit of difference.  I don't know.

Sorry for getting a little bit long, but the non-semiconductor-device-physics
people need to get some solid information on this one.

PS:

>I would not want to try this, or at least not to often, since the heat may
>destroy the device.  Components in the silicon wafer are formed during the
>manufacturing process by controlled diffusion of impurities into selected
>areas in the wafer.  Further heating might cause further diffusion which
>would make these components gradually disappear.

Diffusion is not an issue below 900 degrees C.  Alloying of the aliminum
contacts into the silicon and shorting out junctions is an issue at anything
above about 425-450 degrees C.  If you have gold-aluminum junctions in the
packaging, the temperatures get even lower (but most manufacturers have fixed
this particular problem (purple plague)).
--

artm@phred.UUCP (Curmudgeon) (02/17/88)

In article <21651@clyde.ATT.COM> gwu@clyde.UUCP (George Wu) writes:

>     A shown in an earlier post, a pretty inexpensive and cheap UV eraser
>can be built. But why not use a huge piece of expensive equipment; commonly
>referred to as an oven.
>

>     This has actually been successfully done, although I can't remember the
>temperature or time. I think it was half an hour at 300 degrees.
>... Plastic ones would probably melt and be
>difficult to plug back into the sockets.

Not a very good idea.

Even if you use ceramic packages, this high a temperature will severely
weaken the wire bonds to the die pads.  You might get a few devices that
still work, but you wouldn't have any idea for how long.

Better to buy a cheap sunlamp.  OR...I wonder how many thousand of the little
critters would fit into a tanning bed.  Get together with all your friends
and buy an hour session at the local electric beach....;-) ;-)

My employers only take responsibility for those of my opinions for which
I am paid.
                                                     Art Marriott
                                    ...uw-beaver!tikal!phred!artm

jbm@aurora.UUCP (Jeffrey Mulligan) (02/17/88)

From article <21651@clyde.ATT.COM>, by gwu@clyde.ATT.COM (George Wu):

>      A shown in an earlier post, a pretty inexpensive and cheap UV eraser
> can be built. But why not use a huge piece of expensive equipment;

I am surprised that noone has mentioned just setting the little devils
outside in full sunlight for a couple of hours.  This is obviously feasable
only in certain parts of the country and when tight schedules do not
have to be maintained, but would seem to be the cheapest solution.

--

	Jeff Mulligan (jbm@ames-aurora.arpa)
	NASA/Ames Research Ctr., Mail Stop 239-3, Moffet Field CA, 94035

jbn@glacier.STANFORD.EDU (John B. Nagle) (02/17/88)

      Bear in mind that an incompletely-erased EPROM behaves very annoyingly.
You may be able to program it successfully and read it back, but some of
the bits that are supposed to be in the erased state may not stay that
way.  Best to use a repeatable and timed erasing source.

					John Nagle

phd@SPEECH1.CS.CMU.EDU (Paul Dietz) (02/18/88)

In article <1714@aurora.UUCP> jbm@aurora.UUCP (Jeffrey Mulligan) writes:
>From article <21651@clyde.ATT.COM>, by gwu@clyde.ATT.COM (George Wu):
>>      A shown in an earlier post, a pretty inexpensive and cheap UV eraser
>> can be built. But why not use a huge piece of expensive equipment;
>I am surprised that noone has mentioned just setting the little devils
>outside in full sunlight for a couple of hours.  This is obviously feasable
>only in certain parts of the country and when tight schedules do not
>have to be maintained, but would seem to be the cheapest solution.

Of course, there's always the David Letterman solution:
(Remember kids: DON'T TRY THIS AT HOME! These stunts are performed by
trained professionals.)

	1. Make an EPROM suit. (i.e. glue 300 EPROMS to your favorite garment.)

	2. Wear the EPROM suit to your local tanning salon.

	3. Step into tanning booth.

	4. Cook until done.

Paul H. Dietz                                        ____          ____
Dept. of Electrical and Computer Engineering        / oo \        <_<\\\
Carnegie Mellon University                        /|  \/  |\        \\ \\
--------------------------------------------     | | (  ) | |       | ||\\
"If God had meant for penguins to fly,             -->--<--        / / |\\\  /
he would have given them wings."            _________^__^_________/ / / \\\\-

przemek@gondor.cs.psu.edu (Przemyslaw Klosowski) (02/18/88)

 This is written in response to the long and basically correct article
about the  physics of the EPROM. It explained th phenomenon correctly, but
omitted the quantitative expression for the process: one expression is worth
1000 words :^)
The physics of this process is  simply of a dynamically activated system:
the probability of the electron passing the barrier (and consequently
the current, and the time to discharge the gate) is proportioonal to

			      E-E
			         0		where   e=2.7182818...
			   - -----			E - electron energy
			       kT			k is Boltzman const
			e				T is temperature
							E  is activation energy
							 0

So: ypu can either raise the energy of the electrons ( by  bombarding  with
UV light quanta) or raise the temperature. But you better raise it  enough!
UV has energy of ~3eV. Room temp kT is 25 meV; or in other   words you have to
raise  temp to 120 * 300 K or 36000K to get the same discharge speed, if I got
my numbers right. This is impractical :^)
				przemek@psuvaxg.bitnet
				psuvax1!gondor!przemek

krc@cs.purdue.EDU (Kenny "RoboBrother" Crudup) (02/19/88)

In article <3711@ihlpf.ATT.COM>, straka@ihlpf.ATT.COM (Straka) writes:
> Any EPROM worth its salt (so to speak :-)) will in actuality last at least
> 10 times the standard 5-year specification.  Good ones are quite bullet-proof.
> Rich Straka     ihnp4!ihlpf!straka

I thought the *lower* limit was at least 100 yrs!!
Does this mean in say, 25 years for some of the more marginal products, the
application in question will develop a senility complex?

I'll be driving my classic '88 Ford Mustang GT (with a souped up EFI chip, of
course) along at 30 mph in 2013 and all of a sudden, hyperspeed, or
fried engine?

> Advice for the day: "MSDOS - just say no."
Works for me!

--
Kenny "_R_o_b_o_B_r_o_t_h_e_r" Crudup		krc@arthur.cs.purdue.edu
Purdue University CS Dept.

sfaber@ihlpg.ATT.COM (Faber) (02/20/88)

> Not really true.  253.7 nanometers just happens to be the primary wavelength
> of the short-wave UV emitted by the typical lamps used for this application.
>
> What this spec really means is that you can't use long-wave UV lamps (like
> black lights, or mercury-vapor sun lamps) to do the job.  It also means that
> you can't put ordinary glass or plastic in the light path either.  Only
> special materials, such as fused quartz or some boro-silicate glasses have
> the necessary transmissivity at that particular wavelength.

I bought an old sunlamp at a garage sale that had a quartz tube with
a drop of Hg and no electrodes.  It was excited by rf from a tube
oscillator in the base of the lamp.  These work great as EPROM
erasers.  Mine erases a row of EPROMS the length of the tube (~7")
in about 10 minutes.  These lamps were made in Chicago and sold in
the 1940s or 50s I think.
	The inner quartz tubes from broken mercury vapor street lights
or newer sunlamps will also work (these contain electrodes) and may
be excited with a fluorescent light ballast.  In general if you can
smell ozone from your lamp, you probably have a good source of short
wavelength UV.
			Steve N9FYX

gene@cooper.cooper.EDU (Gene (the Spook) ) (02/20/88)

in article <1714@aurora.UUCP>, jbm@aurora.UUCP (Jeffrey Mulligan) says:

> From article <21651@clyde.ATT.COM>, by gwu@clyde.ATT.COM (George Wu):
>>
>>      A shown in an earlier post, a pretty inexpensive and cheap UV eraser
>> can be built. But why not use a huge piece of expensive equipment;
>

> I am surprised that noone has mentioned just setting the little devils
> outside in full sunlight for a couple of hours.  This is obviously feasable
> only in certain parts of the country and when tight schedules do not
> have to be maintained, but would seem to be the cheapest solution.

Erasure by sunlight can take up to a week or two in most places. Unless
you have a short UV filter to cover up the window, you'll also throw
every other wavelength the sun has to offer at the poor little bugger.
I doubt that it could kill the chip, but why take chances?

You erase EPROMs with short UV (ie: less than 2500 A). Fluorescent bulbs
etc. emit longer UV (about 4000 A), which can erase the chip *over* *time*.
That means your computer's BIOS could eventually be erased by casual
exposure to fluorescent lighting (usually at the worst possible time!),
but it is inefficient at best to try to erase an EPROM using this method.

I made an el Cheapo UV box with a $20 bacteriological (sterilizing) lamp
and a small matching fixture. Mounted in a (rather cumbersome) box with
conductive foam on the bottom, the lamp does just as much as the store-
bought variety eraser. Total cost was about $40. Now, I see much more
compact and useful erasers for ~$60, sometimes less. If I had to do it
all over, I'd probably just buy the cheapest UV eraser on the market.
After all, they *do* get the job done, even without fancy bells and
whistles. Have fun!

					Spookfully yours,
					Gene

					...!ihnp4!philabs!phri!cooper!gene

	"If you think I'll sit around as the world goes by,
	 You're thinkin' like a fool 'cause it's case of do or die.
	 Out there is a fortune waitin' to be had.
	 You think I'll let it go? You're mad!
	 You got another thing comin'!"

			- Robert John Aurthur Halford

jjg@walden.UUCP (John Grana) (02/21/88)

In article <17314@glacier.STANFORD.EDU> jbn@glacier.UUCP (John B. Nagle) writes:

>      Bear in mind that an incompletely-erased EPROM behaves very annoyingly.
>You may be able to program it successfully and read it back, but some of
>the bits that are supposed to be in the erased state may not stay that
>way.  Best to use a repeatable and timed erasing source.
>
>					John Nagle

Couldn't agree more!

	I once worked on a project where I had to debug the code IN EPROM.
(What an experience :-)). At one point, on a late session, I was low on
EPROMs... so I tried to "short cut" and set the timer for 8-10 mins. Well
the programmer claimed it was able to program/verify the device.
		sure...
After tracking down what seemed to be a new set of problems, I discovered that
a few op-codes mutated!

				a lesson well learned.

John Grana
jjg@walden

markz@ssc.UUCP (Markz Zenier) (02/22/88)

There are three types of flourescent lights that produce enough UV to zap
EPROMS.

The Black Light and Black Light Blue Phosphor peaks at 350 nanometers and
will take 3 1/2 days (Back in my starving student days I was patient)
These bulbs are typed FnnTn/BL or FnnTn/BLB.
The first number is the wattage, the second the Tube diameter in 1/8ths of
and inch, and the phosphor is the Alphanumeric code at the end.
The BL produces visible light. The BLB is the good old poster light with a
purple filter.

The Sunlamp Phosphor peaks at 300 nanometers, and should take less time to
erase the PROMS.

Germicidal Lights are just the raw mercury plasma in a quartz tube and
take 3 to 6 minutes to erase a prom sitting on the tube.
They are numbered G??T??  and plug in to the same fixture as the equivalent
F numbered flourescent tube.
They peak at the 250 nanometer wavelength.

Recomendation: Buy the Heathkit, the cost of the parts is about the same.
A germicidal lamp at a speciality lamp house will run $30 to $50.  A lot
for a flourescent lamp with half the stuff left out.

markz@ssc.UUCP (Markz Zenier) (02/22/88)

Safety warning:
Germicidal Lamps will rot your eyeballs and cause skin cancer. There is a
reason for the interlock switches on EPROM erasers.

jimc@iscuva.ISCS.COM (Jim Cathey) (02/23/88)

In article <4878@ihlpg.ATT.COM> sfaber@ihlpg.ATT.COM (Faber) writes:
>I bought an old sunlamp at a garage sale that had a quartz tube with
>a drop of Hg and no electrodes.  It was excited by rf from a tube
>oscillator in the base of the lamp.  These work great as EPROM
>erasers.  Mine erases a row of EPROMS the length of the tube (~7")
>in about 10 minutes.  These lamps were made in Chicago and sold in
>the 1940s or 50s I think.
>	The inner quartz tubes from broken mercury vapor street lights
>or newer sunlamps will also work (these contain electrodes) and may
>be excited with a fluorescent light ballast.  In general if you can
>smell ozone from your lamp, you probably have a good source of short
>wavelength UV.

It's hard to beat a $10 germicidal lamp from your local electrical
supply house.  An old flourescent ballast and starter and you're in
business.  I built mine into an old wooden box.

+----------------+
! II      CCCCCC !  Jim Cathey
! II  SSSSCC     !  ISC Systems Corp.
! II      CC     !  TAF-C8;  Spokane, WA  99220
! IISSSS  CC     !  UUCP: uunet!iscuva!jimc
! II      CCCCCC !  (509) 927-5757
+----------------+
			"With excitement like this, who is needing enemas?"

ron@topaz.rutgers.edu (Ron Natalie) (02/24/88)

The window makes a pretty decent UV filter in itself.  It
takes a long time to get sunlight to erase ROMS.  Normal
flourescent bulbs don't work either.  One of my coworkers
taked some EPROMS to the bulb in his office for two weeks
to try to erase them and not only did they not erase, they
didn't even show any errors in their former programing.

-Ron

dml@loral.UUCP (Dave Lewis) (02/24/88)

In article <1034@ssc.UUCP> markz@ssc.UUCP (Markz Zenier) writes:

>There are three types of flourescent lights that produce enough UV to zap
>EPROMS.

>The Black Light and Black Light Blue Phosphor peaks at 350 nanometers and
>will take 3 1/2 days (Back in my starving student days I was patient)
>These bulbs are typed FnnTn/BL or FnnTn/BLB.

  I have heard that sunlight will also do the job...in a week or so. I never
tried it though...

>A germicidal lamp at a speciality lamp house will run $30 to $50.  A lot

  Nonsense! Any large lighting or electrical supply store will have them for
a LOT less than that. This was back in '79, but I got a G8T5 for $14 at an
industrial lighting supply dealer in Seattle. I don't know about current
prices, because I'm still using that one. If you absolutely can't find any
place to buy one, go to a barber shop (not one of these yuppie "haircut
salons" - a real barber shop, with a real barber pole) and ask where they
get the ones used to sterilize the clippers.

  G8T5 fits in a standard 14" fluourescent light fixture and will erase 20
EPROMS at 1" in 10 minutes or so. (as a bonus, I can stick an F8T5 in the
same fixture and expose PC boards)

markz@ssc.UUCP (Markz Zenier) (02/26/88)

In article <1552@loral.UUCP>, dml@loral.UUCP (Dave Lewis) writes:
> In article <1034@ssc.UUCP> markz@ssc.UUCP (Markz Zenier) writes:
> >A germicidal lamp at a speciality lamp house will run $30 to $50.  A lot
>
>   Nonsense! Any large lighting or electrical supply store will have them for
> a LOT less than that. This was back in '79, but I got a G8T5 for $14 at an
> industrial lighting supply dealer in Seattle. I don't know about current
> prices, because I'm still using that one. ...

Current prices for single quantity, cash at Pacific Lamp in Seattle.
G8T5 $22.90, G15T8 $23.85

The F15T8/BL is also good for UV setting adhesive used in optics.

gene@cooper.cooper.EDU (Gene (the Spook) ) (03/02/88)

in article <1552@loral.UUCP>, dml@loral.UUCP (Dave Lewis) says:
> In article <1034@ssc.UUCP> markz@ssc.UUCP (Markz Zenier) writes:

>   G8T5 fits in a standard 14" fluourescent light fixture and will erase 20
> EPROMS at 1" in 10 minutes or so. (as a bonus, I can stick an F8T5 in the
> same fixture and expose PC boards)

I'm not quite sure which bulb the G8T5 is, but I should caution most
readers who want to try this. When you get any UV bulb or "black light",
don't get any translucent bulb (ie: with any sort of phosphor coating).
Instead, get a bulb which is clear, and has teensy blobs of mercury
inside. This'll get you pure UV which will get you the most germ-free
EPROMs in the world! ;^)

					Have fun!
					Gene

					...!ihnp4!philabs!phri!cooper!gene

	"I am the man!  I am the man!  I'm bad!  I'm so bad,
	 I should be in detention!  I am the man!!!"
		("Shut ... shut ... shut ... UP!")