[sci.electronics] Running 120V AC equipment off 240V AC.

abc@unh.UUCP (Avinash B Chopde) (02/10/88)

A question about stepping down voltage.

I went into a Radio Shack shop to get a transformer (primary 240V,
secondary 120V) so that 120V equipment can be run off 240V AC supply.

I thought only the wattage should be important in such a transformer,
but the salesman told me that the 1000W unit they have will work only for
hair-dryers, and cannot be used for motors (food processors, etc) even if
they are of lesser wattage.

Does this have something to do with resistive/inductive loads ?
Anybody have a simple answer (non-technical! - am an electronics ignoramus!),
or, (better still) a refutation of the salesman's talk ?

A specific question : will there be any burnouts if I use a 1000W convertor
specified to be used for hair-dryers for audio equipment instead ?

Thanks in advance for any replies.
--
=================================
Avinash Chopde  (abc@unhcs.CSNET)

todd@uop.edu (Dr. Nethack) (02/11/88)

Slightly unrelated, I recently purchased some copper wire for some
lights I was rigging. The sales girl tried to talk my Father into buying
stranded #12 wire, (more expensive than solid core)...

"Because it makes the electricity go faster"

---
                       ...rutgers!retix!\
          ...ames!ucbcad!ucbvax!ucdavis!uop!todd
             ...uunet!lll-winken!cogent!/

    Remember, Dr. Science has a Master's Degree, in *Science*

max@trinity.uucp (Max Hauser) (02/11/88)

In article <1055@uop.edu> todd@uop.edu (Dr. Nethack) writes:

> ...I recently purchased some copper wire for some lights I was
> rigging. The sales girl tried to talk my Father into buying
> stranded #12 wire, (more expensive than solid core)...
>"Because it makes the electricity go faster"

Good one!

Of course, she was "only a sales clerk," not supposed to be
knowledgeable about these things. This stands in marked contrast
to authorities we can find here on the Usenet -- rec.audio, for
instance -- many of whose explanations of the electrical physics,
in just such situations as solid vs. stranded wire, are a world
apart from this, dazzling in their clarity and substance. Aren't we
Usenet readers lucky, since we need not rely on such dubious
sources as sales clerks for advice, but instead can harness the
power of an expensive intercontinental computer network...

Don't know about you, but I can just barely stand it.

Max Hauser / max@eros.berkeley.edu / ...{!decvax}!ucbvax!eros!max

"And was Jerusalem builded here / Among those dark Satanic mills?"

hes@ecsvax.UUCP (Henry Schaffer) (02/11/88)

In article <204@unh.UUCP>, abc@unh.UUCP (Avinash B Chopde) writes:

> A question about stepping down voltage.
>
> I went into a Radio Shack shop to get a transformer (primary 240V,
                                          ^^^^^^^^^^^
> secondary 120V) so that 120V equipment can be run off 240V AC supply.
>
> I thought only the wattage should be important in such a transformer,
                                                           ^^^^^^^^^^^
> but the salesman told me that the 1000W unit they have will work only for
> hair-dryers, and cannot be used for motors (food processors, etc) even if
> they are of lesser wattage.
   The problem is that everyone concerned seems to be assuming that a
240->120 volt converter has to be a transformer.  A transformer does work
fine and can run anything, but tends to be big and expensive in the high
current/wattage sizes.
  For much less money and in a much smaller package you can put a
half-wave rectifier rectifier which will give you the same effect - *for
loads which don't care about the wave-form*.  Note that this generally
includes resistive loads (such as heaters - which is where the high
wattage is important) - but doesn't generally include audio equipment.
Some motors will work, others won't (vagueness intentional :-).
> =================================
> Avinash Chopde  (abc@unhcs.CSNET)
> =================================

--henry schaffer  n c state univ

dmt@ptsfa.UUCP (Dave Turner) (02/11/88)

In article <204@unh.UUCP> abc@unh.UUCP (Avinash B Chopde) writes:

>I went into a Radio Shack shop to get a transformer (primary 240V,
>secondary 120V) so that 120V equipment can be run off 240V AC supply.
>
>I thought only the wattage should be important in such a transformer,

I'll bet that if you open one of RS's power "converters" you'll find
a high current diode rather than a transformer.

I've just started looking for a 1000 Watt (VA) 115v - 115v isolation
transformer and expect to pay from $50-$100. The 1000 Watt RS converter
is $14.95.

Herbach & Rademan, Inc. 401 East Erie Ave. Philadelphia, PA 19134
lists a 500 Watt 230v - 115v step-down transformer in their latest
catalog for about $50. The catalog is home so I can't give you the
exact price. Sorry.

--
Dave Turner	415/542-1299	{ihnp4,lll-crg,qantel,pyramid}!ptsfa!dmt

bownesrm@beowulf.UUCP ( Stowaway aboard the Long Shot) (02/11/88)

In article <204@unh.UUCP>, abc@unh.UUCP (Avinash B Chopde) writes:

> A question about stepping down voltage.
>
> I went into a Radio Shack shop to get a transformer (primary 240V,
> secondary 120V) so that 120V equipment can be run off 240V AC supply.
>
> Does this have something to do with resistive/inductive loads ?
> Anybody have a simple answer (non-technical! - am an electronics ignoramus!),
> or, (better still) a refutation of the salesman's talk ?

	Mostly the 240-120 converters (at leasst the one I bought
from RS a few years back) work by using an SCR to hack the wave up.
This results in some squarish waves instead of a nice smooth sine. When
you run this high delta Voltage through a transformer (like an AC motor)
it tends to produce some really nifty destructive spikes. The rule is,
"When in doubt, use an isolation transformer."
	When we moved to N. Ireland, we had a set of circuits in the house
wired to a 2.5 KvA transformer. Solved all our problems.
	(Incidentally, most hair driers have DC motors. This chopped up
wave won't cause a problem there.)

> A specific question : will there be any burnouts if I use a 1000W convertor
> specified to be used for hair-dryers for audio equipment instead ?

	It depends on what it is. I ran a stereo cassete deck off an
SCR type converter but I looked at the schematics first to make sure
the ac went straight to a rectifier.

> Thanks in advance for any replies.
> --

	No problem. I have LOTS of experience dealing with this. If
any of the aforementioned techno-babble was confusing, send
me mail.

Bob Bownes, aka iii, aka captain comrade bob    | Since I AM my employer,
Function Consulting,	Albany, New York, 12203 | I guess these opinions are
(518)-482-8798 voice (518)-482-9228 (anon uucp) | those of my employer
 bownesrm@beowulf.uucp				| my houseplants, and my TR-6.
------------------------------------------------+------------+------------------
PS/2: Yesterday's Hardware Today.			     | Stolen from Jerry
OS/2: Yesterday's Software Tomorrow.			     | Pournelle in
OS/2 Extended Version: Yesterday's Software  REAL SOON NOW.  | InfoWorld
-------------------------------------------------------------+------------------

wolfgang@mgm.mit.edu (Wolfgang Rupprecht) (02/11/88)

Expires:

In article <4591@ecsvax.UUCP> hes@ecsvax.UUCP (Henry Schaffer) writes:
>   The problem is that everyone concerned seems to be assuming that a
>240->120 volt converter has to be a transformer.  [...]
>  For much less money and in a much smaller package you can put a
>half-wave rectifier rectifier which will give you the same effect - *for
>loads which don't care about the wave-form*.

Henry you are clearly on the right track, but be careful, you are
missing a power of two.

For resistive devices the power disipated is (E^2)/R. Doubling the
voltage from 120v -> 240v will quadruple your power. If you use a
diode to cut out a half cycle every cycle, then you will only end up
reducing your power by a factor of 2, not the factor of 4 that is
required.

The cheap scr/triac ("light dimmer") type systems that one sees sold
as transformerless 240v adapters actually take a significant chunk out
of each waveform, infact, roughly 3/4 of each waveform gets eaten.
(The actual on time is chosen so that the integral of E^2/R over the
on part of the cycle is exactly 1/4 of the integal over the whole
cycle.)

As a side note, you can actually see 50 hertz flicker from a half vave
rectified light bulb quite clearly, if you observe it out of the
corner of your eye. The center of vision appears to have a bit slower
response, which prevents one from seeing the 50hz flicker. The US line
frequency of 60 hz, is just barely fast enough that a half wave
rectified bulb flickers slightly, but not annoyingly so. (Is this
how 60 hz got chosen as the standard I wonder?)

I have seen 3 way lightbulb sockets wired with a diode between the
extra contact and the normal center contact. This hack lets a normal
single filament bulb act like a "3 way" bulb, with an off, dim, and
full on setting. Problem is, the dim setting flickers a bit.

			       .---.
			      /	    \
      o----------------------( < o > )    three-way socket
        	               | |  /
    120v          +------+-----+ |
     in           |    	 |     	 |
             dim  o      +---|>|-+   <----- this diode added to socket base.
      o--------->  		 |
             full o--------------+

---
Wolfgang Rupprecht	ARPA:  wolfgang@mgm.mit.edu (IP 18.82.0.114)
326 Commonwealth Ave.	UUCP:  mit-eddie!mgm.mit.edu!wolfgang
Boston, Ma. 02115	TEL:   (617) 267-4365

> ... the salesman told me that the 1000W unit they have will work only for
> hair-dryers, and cannot be used for motors (food processors, etc) even if
> they are of lesser wattage.

If you look carefully at the Radio Snack converters, you will find that
there are two kinds:  a low-wattage type for motors and such, and a high-
wattage type for heaters and such.  Only the low-wattage one is really a
transformer.  The high-wattage one is just a diode, which does a really
sloppy job of conversion that is only good enough for things that don't
care about the details.  Most anything electronic will care, as will many
motors.

A high-wattage transformer will not be cheap, or small, or light.

You also need to worry about another problem.  I assume you are thinking
about the flavor(s) of 240VAC found overseas, not here.  If so, note that
those awful furriners also run their power at 50 Hz rather than 60 Hz.
There is likely to be a little label on the back of your equipment giving
things like voltage and power requirements.  If it says something like
"47-63 Hz", as many of them do now, you're in the clear.  If it says
"60 Hz", then you are gambling if you hook up to 50-Hz power:  it might
work, it might overheat, it might fail completely.  There is no easy fix
for this one.
--
Those who do not understand Unix are |  Henry Spencer @ U of Toronto Zoology
condemned to reinvent it, poorly.    | {allegra,ihnp4,decvax,utai}!utzoo!henry

koko@uthub.toronto.edu (M. Kokodyniak) (02/16/88)

Some appliances have universal motors (with brushes) while others
have induction or synchronous motors (without brushes).
Appliances that do not care much about line frequency (since
they have universal motors):

	electric shavers
	hair dryers
	small kitchen appliances
	power tools
	vacuum cleaners

Appliances that do care about line frequency (since some have
induction or synchronous motors):

	major appliances:
		refridgerators
		dishwashers
		washers
		dryers
	all analog clocks (with dials)
	some digital clocks (except those with battery backup)
	some phonograph turntables (especially older automatic ones
		and ones with orange-neon stroboscopes built in)
	some reel-to-reel taperecorders

Clocks usually use the line frequency to keep time, since the
utilities keep the long-term average line frequency accurate.
Cheaper turntables use an induction motor, to keep constant speed,
as do some cheaper reel-to-reel taperecorders.

Although the operation of some appliances is affected by line frequency,
they may still work satisfactorily (at somewhat lower or higher speeds):

	barbecue rotors
	electric fans
	portable heaters with fans

phd@SPEECH1.CS.CMU.EDU (Paul Dietz) (02/19/88)

In article <701@uthub.toronto.edu> koko@uthub.toronto.edu (M. Kokodyniak) writes:
>Appliances that do care about line frequency (since some have
>induction or synchronous motors):
>	some digital clocks (except those with battery backup)
                             ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
I can't speak in general, but my digital clock sync.s to the 60Hz (or cps,
if you insist...) when it's available, and reverts to a very crummy battery
powered RC osc. otherwise. (Also, trying to run at ~60 Hz, but not doing
a very good job. Gains about 15 - 20 minutes per hour when runing on backup.)

Paul H. Dietz                                        ____          ____
Dept. of Electrical and Computer Engineering        / oo \        <_<\\\
Carnegie Mellon University                        /|  \/  |\        \\ \\
--------------------------------------------     | | (  ) | |       | ||\\
"If God had meant for penguins to fly,             -->--<--        / / |\\\  /
he would have given them wings."            _________^__^_________/ / / \\\\-

@#%$%@#!  You're right, Wolfgang, just a rectifier wouldn't do it.  I was
probably half-remembering an SCR-based circuit.  Apologies to all.  In any
case it doesn't alter the conclusion:  the non-transformer converters work
only for things that don't care about waveform.
--
Those who do not understand Unix are |  Henry Spencer @ U of Toronto Zoology
condemned to reinvent it, poorly.    | {allegra,ihnp4,decvax,utai}!utzoo!henry

alex@tiger.Princeton.EDU (Alexander Zaslavsky) (02/27/88)

I am sorry to crowd the net with trivia, but I am a novice in electronics
and need some help.  I bought a computer (Mac SE) + printer (Imagewriter II)
for my father to use in Italy (220 V, 50 Hz).  Now it turns out that the
computer runs fine on European standard, but the printer needs a transformer
rated at 200 W.  If I were to get such a beast, would the frequency cause
any problems (Apple has no suggestions in the manual)?  If not, where can
I get such a beast (J&R Electronics in New York wanted to sell me a 1000 W
transformer that weighed at least 15 pounds and cost $60)?
Please reply to tiger!alex, all advice greatly appreciated
alex

dave@onfcanim.UUCP (Dave Martindale) (03/04/88)

>There is likely to be a little label on the back of your equipment giving
>things like voltage and power requirements.  If it says something like
>"47-63 Hz", as many of them do now, you're in the clear.  If it says
>"60 Hz", then you are gambling if you hook up to 50-Hz power:  it might
>work, it might overheat, it might fail completely.

And then there are the wonderful devices labelled "90-250 VAC 48-440 Hz".
For these, you just need the right power cord or adapter (such devices
usually have the "international" power input connector so the power cord
is changeable).

My Tektronix oscilloscope is like this - it accomplishes this by
full-wave rectifying the line voltage, then feeding the pulsating DC to
a switching regulator that provides 43 VDC out, which drives an inverter
that generates AC again at 20 KHz.  This is then fed to the main
power transformer, which produces both low and high voltages for
the instrument.

Thanks and a hat tip to manufacturers who do something like this.