[sci.electronics] VCR Problem

robert@richp1.UUCP (Robert Miller) (02/05/88)

I seem to be having a problem with my Sears VCR (2 heads).
When I record or play back a tape, The unit makes a rather loud
sound like a cricket.  Certainly this can't be normal?  Are these
VCR's belt driven and the belt is slipping?  I have no audio or
video distortion.  Any ideas??   Thanks in advance!

"To open, cut along dotted line."
________________________________
                           _____\______________________________________________
			  /      |          Robert Miller @ ihnp4!richp1!robert
                         |       |
                          \_____/

carl@aoa.UUCP (Carl Witthoft) (02/11/88)

In article <99@richp1.UUCP> robert@richp1.UUCP (Robert Miller) writes:
>I seem to be having a problem with my Sears VCR (2 heads).
>When I record or play back a tape, The unit makes a rather loud
>sound like a cricket.  Certainly this can't be normal?  Are these
>VCR's belt driven and the belt is slipping?  I have no audio or
>video distortion.  Any ideas??   Thanks in advance!
Happened to me once. First, I ran one of those head cleaner tapes, the
kind that runs a fuzzy tape w/ fluid thru the machine. It took a lot of
dirt off but didnt help. Then I fast-forwarded the tape (which was a
rental) and rewound it. It ran ok in play mode after that. I assume this
was the same problem I used to see on old reel-to-reel audio tapes,
namely that the tape was wound very high or low on the reels by the
previous user. the FF-REW cycle places the tape in line w/ the guides&
heads on my machine.

--

Alix's Dad ( Carl Witthoft @ Adaptive Optics Associates)
{ima,harvard}!bbn!aoa!carl

alanc@devvax.JPL.NASA.GOV (Allan Chow) (03/08/88)

I am posting this for a friend of mine.  He has a JVC model 555 VCR that has
developed a problem lately.  When he tries to play a tape after the machine has
been sitting around for a while, like overnight, the machine will stop in the
middle of loading the tape and shuts off.  When he turns it back on, and try
again, it plays normally.  If he lets it sit around for a while, the same
problem reappears.

Does anybody have any ideas what may be the problem?