[sci.electronics] EDIF and Schematics

dataxpress@cup.portal.com (03/10/88)

In a reply to
article <1059@PT.CS.CMU.EDU> phd@SPEECH1.CS.CMU.EDU (Paul Dietz)
max@trinity.uucp (Max Hauser ) writes:

>I am aware of the emerging IEEE Electronic Design Interchange Format
>(EDIF), although I know nothing about it. Does any reader know if EDIF
>relevantly addresses the issue of schematic communication?

The Electronic Design Interchange Format (EDIF) is an EIA standard
( first published May 1987 ) not an IEEE standard, although the IEEE have a
committee which is studying EDIF and its relationship to other IEEE standards,
such as VHDL.  EDIF was designed for interchanging electronic design
information, including electronic schematics, over the past four years by
representatives from all over the world.  Special emphasis was placed on
schematics during this period.

Most CAE (computer aided engineering) firms which offer commercial schematic
capture products are now developing translators for EDIF.

To get a copy of the EDIF standard write to or call the EIA at:

    Electronic Industries Association
    EDIF 2 0 0 Orders
    P.O. Box 57358
    Washington D.C., 20037-0258

    (202) 457-4966

The EDIF standard costs:
    $20.00 for students working on EDIF related projects
    $30.00 for EIA members
    $40.00 for everyone else

To get on the EDIF Users' Group Mailing list, write to:

    EDIF User Group
    2222 South Dobson Rd, Bldg. 5
    Mesa, AZ 85202

I suggest that before anyone goes off and tries to invent a schematic standard
they take a look at EDIF first to see if it can do the job.

John Eurich   dataxpress@cup.portal.com
n tell the
world something