[sci.electronics] Big brother

todd@uop.edu (Dr. Nethack) (03/10/88)

Have you heard about the "Smart toilet"??

It will monitor your blood pressure, check your urine to see if there
is anything amiss, (and inform the user).

It will also foward the data (via phone lines) to a lab for a second
opinion!

I can see it now..

HACKERS VIOLATE PRIVACY THROUGH COMPUTERIZED TOILET

I wonder if J. Edgar was alive if he would insist on a phone tap
to monitor his favorite person's bodily functions!!

+ uop!todd@uunet.uu.net                                               +
+                 cogent!uop!todd@lll-winken.arpa                     +
+                                 {backbone}!ucbvax!ucdavis!uop!todd  +

commgrp@silver.bacs.indiana.edu (BACS Data Communications Group) (03/11/88)

cross-posted: sci.electronics, rec.humor

>Have you heard about the "Smart toilet"??
>
>It will monitor your blood pressure, check your urine to see if there
>is anything amiss, (and inform the user).
>
>It will also foward the data (via phone lines) to a lab for a second
>opinion!

Sounds like a forerunner of Larry Niven's "Autodoc!"

>I can see it now...

 ...in  all  the  yuppie catalogs:   Transparent  seat  with  LED
readouts inside.   Weighs you before and after,  prints a monthly
report with bar-graphs and pie-charts
(so to speak).

              +----------------------------------+
              |       DON'T BE A DUMB SH*T,      |
              | GET THE SMART SEAT FROM HEATHKIT!|
              +----------------------------------+
                   With optional Auto-Wipe(tm)

But whatever you do, DON'T push the ATR button!

--

Frank
reid@gold.bacs.indiana.edu

rona@videovax.Tek.COM (Ronald K. Anderson) (03/12/88)

In article <1243@uop.edu> todd@uop.edu (Dr. Nethack) writes:
>Have you heard about the "Smart toilet"??
>
>It will monitor your blood pressure, check your urine to see if there
>is anything amiss, (and inform the user).

Wait 'till someone thinks up a toilet seat heater..

or how 'bout a built in digital scale in your dinner table with a
friendly voice output: "Gertrude? Don't you think you've had enough
to eat tonight? "

or an automatic beltless sock drawer organizer... or..

davef@brspyr1.BRS.Com (Dave Fiske) (03/17/88)

In article <1243@uop.edu>, todd@uop.edu (Dr. Nethack) writes:
> Have you heard about the "Smart toilet"??
>
> It will monitor your blood pressure, check your urine to see if there
> is anything amiss, (and inform the user).

> I wonder if J. Edgar was alive if he would insist on a phone tap
> to monitor his favorite person's bodily functions!!

Well, the CIA once wanted a urine sample from King Farouk, so they
could verify whether or not he was deadly ill.  They set up some type
of remote-control electro-mechanical trap on the urinals in a rest room
someplace where Farouk was attending some kind of meeting, then kept track of
when he went in to relieve himself, so they would know for sure it was
his pee.  I think they concluded that he wasn't ill.

One of the intelligence agencies also gathered up a bunch of toilet paper from
latrines where the Warsaw Pact forces had held some kind of maneuvers.  These
samples were taken back for analysis, although I don't know what they expected
to discover.

YOUR TAX DOLLARS AT WORK!

--
     "LASER BEAM SETS BRAIN               Dave Fiske  (davef@brspyr1)
      SURGERY PATIENT ABLAZE"             BRS Information Technologies