[sci.electronics] low power license free packet?

matthew@ucscb.UCSC.EDU (73550000) (02/16/88)

The topic of license-free packet radio has been floating around for
some time. Several ideas have come and gone, including the 52-54 MHz
"reallocation" and the use of 49 MHz license free bands.

Why not class D CB (27 MHz)...

The power limit on this band is sufficient to set up a reasonable
packet network (i.e. doesn't require lots of close-together low-power nodes).

The radios are cheap (<$60) and come with simple speaker and microphone
connectors, suitable for connecting a comercially available TNC.

The bandwidth available is sufficient to support at least the 300 baud
HF modem standard, and almost certainly will also support the standard
VHF 1200 baud (202) standard.

The channels already exist and, even better, already sound as bad as
packet channels would to voice users.

Contrary to popular belief, packet WILL work on AM. In fact, it may
work better than voice on the same channel, because heterodynes
with existing carriers are usually NOT within the modem filter bandpass.

A reasonable license-free packet network seems to be needed, and,
setting it up on existing personal radio channels would alleviate
complaints from users of other spectrum space (such as amateurs)
that would otherwise be reallocated to provide for such a service.

The only restriction that currently exists is FCC Part 95.627
which states that:
d) Digital emmissions are not permitted in the GMRS or the CB radio service.
e) The transmission of data is prohibited in the Personal Radio Services.

---

I am interested in finding out what other opinions exist regarding
the expansion of CB to include digital packet radio. Certainly if
enough people are interested, the FCC can be persuaded to modify
these existing regulations.

Please indicate your opinion by posting, or by e-mail.

Thanks,
Matthew Kaufman
matthew@ucsck.ucsc.edu, ...!ucbvax!ucscc!ucsck!matthew

kludge@pyr.gatech.EDU (Scott Dorsey) (02/16/88)

In article <1983@saturn.ucsc.edu> matthew@ucsck.ucsc.edu (Matthew Kaufman, KA6SQG) writes:
>The topic of license-free packet radio has been floating around for
>some time. Several ideas have come and gone, including the 52-54 MHz
>"reallocation" and the use of 49 MHz license free bands.
>Why not class D CB (27 MHz)...

   I don't know just what the present status of the Class C frequencies
are, but they are definitely available for digital communication.  I
don't know if this is limited to remote control applications or not,
but it might be possible to consider a packet radio installation as
a remote control device (hook it up to a BSR X-10, etc... :-)).

Scott Dorsey   Kaptain_Kludge
SnailMail: ICS Programming Lab, Georgia Tech, Box 36681, Atlanta, Georgia 30332

   "To converse at the distance of the Indes by means of sympathetic
    contrivances may be as natural to future times as to us is a
    literary correspondence."  -- Joseph Glanvill, 1661

Internet:  kludge@pyr.gatech.edu
uucp:	...!{decvax,hplabs,ihnp4,linus,rutgers,seismo}!gatech!gitpyr!kludge

cep4478@ritcv.UUCP (Christopher E. Piggott) (02/17/88)

I think that this is an excellent idea, and would be marketable mostly to
sub-personal computer (i.e. C64, Atari-800) people rather than CB people.
It would take a lot of work, though, to revive a social clique of buletin-
board systems which has turned almost entirely to <14yr olds.

However, CB's in the $40-60 range are usually automobile radios (correct
me if I'm wrong in your part of the country) and would require a further
complication: a power supply.  Not much to a HAM, who could build one out
of a few rubber bands and a paper clip, but most people would have to buy
one.  Minor point, still.

Now, a question: I was once told that the sunspot period relative to CB
radios is about 40 years, and that we are now on the upside of the curve.
I was told that this means in about 10 years the range we will get from
C.B. will be at least quadruple what it is now.  Is this true?

			Christopher E. Piggott

ritcv!cep4478@ROCHESTER.ARPA
cep4478@ritcv.UUCP
cep4478@RITVAXA.BITNET (emergency use only!  forwarded to ritcv)

ccs016@deneb.ucdavis.edu (Patrick Tully pstully@ucdavis) (02/18/88)

In article <1983@saturn.ucsc.edu> matthew@ucsck.ucsc.edu (Matthew Kaufman, KA6SQG) writes:

>The only restriction that currently exists is FCC Part 95.627
>which states that:
>d) Digital emmissions are not permitted in the GMRS or the CB radio service.
>e) The transmission of data is prohibited in the Personal Radio Services.
>---
>I am interested in finding out what other opinions exist regarding
>the expansion of CB to include digital packet radio. Certainly if
>enough people are interested, the FCC can be persuaded to modify
>these existing regulations.
>
>Please indicate your opinion by posting, or by e-mail.
>
>Thanks,
>Matthew Kaufman
>matthew@ucsck.ucsc.edu, ...!ucbvax!ucscc!ucsck!matthew

I use CB extensively. I do not have my ticket yet, but do hope to in
the future. I would really like to see a packet allowed on 27 mhz.
I started a radio club awhile ago, we are very interested in packet, ham
and other radio aspects, however, the money and living conditions limit
most of the members from moving on. A license free packet operation would
for sure get more people started.

My vote is yes, and I can say that so is the vote of our radio club.

* Patrick Tully  RFD1
* RADIO FREE DAVIS -- cheap radio operation
* {{seismo|ihnp4!}lll-crg|sdcsvax|{decvax!}ucbvax}!ucdavis!deneb!ccs016
* pstully@ucdavis  BITNET

In article <210@ritcv.UUCP> cep4478@ritcv.UUCP (PUT YOUR NAME HERE) writes:

>Now, a question: I was once told that the sunspot period relative to CB
>radios is about 40 years, and that we are now on the upside of the curve.
>I was told that this means in about 10 years the range we will get from
>C.B. will be at least quadruple what it is now.  Is this true?
>
>			Christopher E. Piggott

  I've heard this too. I believe it is true. The peak should start
somewhere around 1991. This is also the time when California is suppose
to have another predicted drought. Which makes sense because the last
highest CB activity was from 1976 to 1978 and this was the years
when California had its drought. I know that the time interval from
the last skip activity to 1991 is not 40 years, but what was experienced in
1976 to 1978 was a shorter skip cycle. (~10 years) From my observations,
CB also experiences a smaller scip cycle around 23 days (around there)

 The skip activity during 1976 - 1978 from what I've been told by people
was great, but made talking local impossible. The conditions during those
years made many people interested in CB, but also forced a lot of people
to stop using radios. So, I'm guessing that around 1991 the skip conditions
will be better on CB than 1976-1978, but they will also force many people
off the radio.

 Presently on 27 mhz the skip is rolling in. This fits with the 23 day
summer type day cycle. (warm afternoons, lots of sun). It has been this
way for about 4 days. From Northern California people from the east coast are
easily heard in the morining through 5pm, then people from the southern
western states and Canada our heard, and at around 6:30 Hawaii and Australia
are heard for only about 30 to 40 minutes. And around 7:00 or 7:300 the
airwaves are dead.

 This experimenting was done on Side band using a 3 beamed yagi, horizontal.

* Patrick Tully
* {{seismo|ihnp4!}lll-crg|sdcsvax|{decvax!}ucbvax}!ucdavis!pstully
* pstully@ucdavis  BITNET

sorgatz@ttidca.TTI.COM ( Avatar) (02/18/88)

In article <1983@saturn.ucsc.edu> matthew@ucsck.ucsc.edu (Matthew Kaufman, KA6SQG) writes:

>The topic of license-free packet radio has been floating around for
>some time. Several ideas have come and gone, including the 52-54 MHz
>"reallocation" and the use of 49 MHz license free bands.
 The 1st of which will happen on a cold day in HELL, the second is not a
useful option due to the range of the devices available and...
>Why not class D CB (27 MHz)...
..this suggestion, while it might seem reasonable is actually not. Some of
us have tried this and while it *does* work, the amount of hate 'n' discontent
it generates would not endear such packet users to the rest of the CB community!
>The power limit on this band is sufficient to set up a reasonable
>packet network (i.e. doesn't require lots of close-together low-power nodes).
 The power "limits" are seldom enforced, and you will find that in metropolitian
areas like L.A. and such, seldom observed. I.E.-noone will hear you @ 5 w.
>The radios are cheap (<$60) and come with simple speaker and microphone
>connectors, suitable for connecting a comercially available TNC.
 With good reason, the radios are not very selective and have little in the
way of sensitivity. FM would be better, but F3E is illegal on 11 meters.
>The bandwidth available is sufficient to support at least the 300 baud
>HF modem standard, and almost certainly will also support the standard
>VHF 1200 baud (202) standard.
 1200 works fine on a clear channel, AM or SSB. On a crowded channel only
SSB will get your packets across without a very large number of retrys.
>The channels already exist and, even better, already sound as bad as
>packet channels would to voice users.
 No comment.
>Contrary to popular belief, packet WILL work on AM. In fact, it may
>work better than voice on the same channel, because heterodynes
>with existing carriers are usually NOT within the modem filter bandpass.
 Yes, it will work, but the hetrodynes cause retries, many retries.
>A reasonable license-free packet network seems to be needed, and,
>setting it up on existing personal radio channels would alleviate
>complaints from users of other spectrum space (such as amateurs)
>that would otherwise be reallocated to provide for such a service.
 Oh phooey! Stop sniveling, and go study a little! The Novice ticket is
well within the reach of anyone who wants it. There are Amateur Radio Clubs
around that will bendover backwards to assist you in doing so.
>The only restriction that currently exists is FCC Part 95.627
>which states that:
>d) Digital emmissions are not permitted in the GMRS or the CB radio service.
>e) The transmission of data is prohibited in the Personal Radio Services.
 And with good reason! Study packet a little closer and you will notice
that improperly used, packet can cause a tremendous amount of interference. The
use of such equipment by completly untrained users would be difficult to
actually justify on the International level.  Everything the FCC does is fuel
for those that participate at the WARC's..you're asking for blood.
>I am interested in finding out what other opinions exist regarding
>the expansion of CB to include digital packet radio. Certainly if

 The Amateur community stands ready to welcome you and all others as fellow
operators...anytime you are ready to get serious. The expansion of CB radio,
is something the FCC will only laugh at. It's been proposed several times.
 Some of the proposals have included such things as:

 A) Expansion of class D 11 meter CB from 27.405Mhz to 27.995. mixed modes.
 B) 27.410-27.510 A3J voice, F3E voice 27.515-27.715 and AX25a Packet only
    from 27.720-27.995 using F2/3/E.
 C) A new class of service, from 27.410-27.510, for AX25a Packet only, using
    F2/3E. (i.e. "CB Packet" but with a license!)

 As an Amateur, I can tell you that the majority of  such  schemes  will
*NEVER*  garner a shred of support from the Amateur ranks because of the
attitude that exists on CB.  Look at the hassle that SSB users  get/give
to/from   the  AM  users.   Better  still  is  the  use  of  the  "funny
freqs"...there must be 40-50 times a week in L.A. that  someone  figures
that  since  they  don't "hear" anyone using the region between 28.0 and
28.2, that  it's  ok  for  them  to  have  a  nice  FM  QSO  with  their
Trucker-buddies  on  their  'Rangers'...number  1:  Most  of these jerks
don't know the difference between CW and fly-to-the-moon.  The fact that
some of us are indeed having a CW-QSO on 28.150 (right where they fire-up!)
is of no interest to them, after all, they bought the radio!  It  *CAME*
with  the  frequencies!  Therefore...  number 2:  The number of existing
radios that are equipped with A.M.-only...bad news is most CB users hate
SSB,  because  they  dont  have  it..more 'Low-buck mentality'.  I would
favor Frequency expansion (ala item B) if:

 1) the radios were equipped in such a way that no firther expansion  of
the  frequency  range  were possible.  Use a rom-based composite PLL/VCO
chip that has NO equal for replacement, MANDATE unusual I.F.  freqs  and
no  "extra"  lines  to  play with.  Make that sucker 99.9% impossible to
expand!  Cast the boards in epoxy or something like that.

 2) the stations were Registered/Licensed.  Nothing  expensive,  just  a
simple  form  which  insures  a  better  attitude  by  the  users of the
frequencies, and a unique callsign identifier for your packet-headers.

 3) That the FCC could have an enforcement budget to  police  violators.
   Like:  a)  The  LIDS  that decide to play music, curse or jam. b) The
   'LinearLids', who think 1Kw operation is "cool". c)  The  jokers  who
   insist  on  running  out-of-band,  mixed mode, or who refuse identify
   their stations. d) The clowns that modify CB gear to encroach on  the
   Amateur 10 meter band. Send these guys to jail for 10+ years!

>enough people are interested, the FCC can be persuaded to modify these
existing  regulations.

  Don't count on it!  Amateur Radio  is  what  it  is  because  everyone
involved  has  a  vested  interest in keeping the 'GoodBuddy' types from
overrunning the bands, the  FCC's  enforcement  budget  is  almost  nil,
expansion  that  does not provide for the safeguards listed above has no
chance.  Period.  You want more? CB radio is a sewer, the majority of CB
users are braindead, burntout Kids that have so little to do with their
miserable lives they congragate around the 11 meter band hoping for any
kind of amusement. Just try cleaning it up, I did. I managed to interest
7 people to UPGRADE to Novice tickets..you can do the same.
--
-Avatar-> (aka: Erik K. Sorgatz) KB6LUY           +-------------------------+
Citicorp(+)TTI                          *----------> panic trap; type = N+1 *

mrapple@uop.edu (Nick Sayer) (02/19/88)

Just to ask, what would you people think of allowing F3E type
modulation on 27 Mhz? If nothing else, the capture effect would
work wonders, I think. It's probably not likely that all of
11m would convert, but I think at least ALLOWING F3E on Ch
30-40 and allowing ASCII/Baudot digital codes on Ch 35-40 would
be a pretty good idea (the latter in response to the discussion
in progress).

Nick Sayer | Packet Radio: N6QQQ @ WA6RDH | CMS: SYSOP@STOKTON%STOCKTON
uucp: ...!sdcsvax!ucbvax!ucdavis!uop!mrapple | Fido: 161/31
Disclaimer:   You didn't REALLY believe that, did you?
cat flames > /dev/null

sorgatz@ttidca.TTI.COM ( Avatar) (02/20/88)

In article <1175@ucdavis.ucdavis.edu> ccs016@deneb.ucdavis.edu.UUCP (Patrick Tully  pstully@ucdavis) writes:
>  I've heard this too. I believe it is true. The peak should start
>somewhere around 1991. This is also the time when California is suppose

 Why not look at the ARRL Long Range Prediction charts? Real Radio Scientists
have spent years developing this stuff, it might surprise you..and BTW most
of the rumor-legends of CB are vaporware, this is another case of same.

> This experimenting was done on Side band using a 3 beamed yagi, horizontal.

 "Side band"??? "a 3 beamed yagi, horizontal"??  Would you mind explaining
these strange terms? Yagi's *are* beams. Some have 3 elements...these are
the kind of communication problems that prevail in the 27 Mhz universe..
..my suggestion, Mr. Tulley, is to actually concentrate on learning the
real terminology, then some basic theory. If you've got any time left, try
some Morse code practice. If you're very lucky, you might just pass your
Novice ticket - but not if you insist on clinging to this CB folklore like
a security blanket! Give it up! It's worthless. As far as Packet on CB goes,
read my posting to that other technotwit on 'sci.electronics', there isn't
a snowball's chance in Hell that the FCC will grant *ANY* additional freqs
or perks to the 11 meter crowd, so grow up! Get into real radio...

--
-Avatar-> (aka: Erik K. Sorgatz) KB6LUY           +-------------------------+
Citicorp(+)TTI                          *----------> panic trap; type = N+1 *
3100 Ocean Park Blvd.   (213) 450-9111, ext. 2973 +-------------------------+
Santa Monica, CA  90405 {csun,philabs,randvax,trwrb}!ttidca!ttidcb!sorgatz **

jans@tekcrl.TEK.COM (Jan Steinman) (02/21/88)

<...what would you people think of allowing F3E type modulation on 27 Mhz?>

What do I think?  I think CBers would be up in arms as soon as they discovered
they'd have to give up every other channel in order to support the bandwidth
needed.  I think they should be going the other direction --  make AM rigs
illegal, only allow SSB, and double the number of available channels.

:::::: Software Productivity Technologies    ---    Smalltalk   Project ::::::
:::::: Jan Steinman N7JDB	Box 500, MS 50-470	(w)503/627-5881 ::::::
:::::: jans@tekcrl.TEK.COM	Beaverton, OR 97077	(h)503/657-7703 ::::::
--
(Stamp out facist .signature restrictions!)

mrapple@uop.edu (Nick Sayer) (02/23/88)

Come on, let's have a rational discussion here. You have made the point
already that it is easier to get a Novice ticket than it is to get
into the average college fraternity (this is true...). There is no
reason to go on and on about it. Getting antagonistic doesn't help
anything. It just sends a message to non-hams that we are an elitist
society with our noses higher than our scalp-rugs. Unfortunately,
some actions the ARRL take help to give this impression. They
don't need your help to give us more bad press.

will@ge-rtp.GE.COM (Will Gwaltney) (02/23/88)

In article <1960@ttidca.TTI.COM>, sorgatz@ttidca.TTI.COM ( Avatar) writes:
> In article <1175@ucdavis.ucdavis.edu> ccs016@deneb.ucdavis.edu.UUCP (Patrick Tully  pstully@ucdavis) writes:
>
> > This experimenting was done on Side band using a 3 beamed yagi, horizontal.
>
>  "Side band"??? "a 3 beamed yagi, horizontal"??  Would you mind explaining
> these strange terms? Yagi's *are* beams. Some have 3 elements...these are
> the kind of communication problems that prevail in the 27 Mhz universe..
> ..my suggestion, Mr. Tulley, is to actually concentrate on learning the
> real terminology, then some basic theory. If you've got any time left, try
> some Morse code practice. If you're very lucky, you might just pass your

(more "suggestions" deleted)

Way to go, Erik. You've just shown Patrick what an open, helpful,
friendly fraternity the ham radio community is :-). Seriously Patrick,
there is a LOT you can learn from ham radio, and there are a LOT of
friendly, open people out there who will be more than happy to help
you. Hams are (justifiably) proud of their hobby, but that shouldn't
keep them from helping other non-ham radio enthusiasts. Venom aside,
Erik's advice is sound. Get an amateur license and REALLY start
enjoying radio! I'm glad I did.

--
        Will Gwaltney             |     Usenet: will@ge-rtp.GE.COM or
        GE Microelectronics Ctr.  |             ...!mcnc!ge-rtp!will

bill@trotter.usma.edu (Bill Gunshannon) (02/25/88)

In article <357@ge-rtp.GE.COM>, will@ge-rtp.GE.COM (Will Gwaltney) writes:
>                                                        Venom aside,
> Erik's advice is sound. Get an amateur license and REALLY start
> enjoying radio! I'm glad I did.

I agree with the comments in this reply except for one. And this seems to be
the most prevalent idea every time the concept of license free packet is
brought up.  Everyone immediately jumps in here and says "Get your HAM
license".  Of course they are missing what is probably the biggest point in
the whole discussion.  The people asking for a Personal Digital Radio Service
don't want to be hams.  They have no interest in ham radio and probably the
most important idea being missed here is that what they want to use packet for
would be illegal over amateur radio.  Take a look at what is on the various
phone BBS's.  They are loaded with shareware, for sale ads, and advertisements
for various commercial products.  All things definitely out of place on amateur
radio.
One of the items always brought up when people try to justify the continued
existence of amateur radio is the idea of what we were originally chartered
to do.  And one of these is to develop new means of communication.  It now
seems like the majority of hams have decided we are developing this stuff for
our own personal use.
I believe it was hams who pioneerd such technological breakthrus like SSB,
FM, and REPEATERS.  These ideas have since proven their value in the commercial
world and are now considered just a part of the world we live in.  The time has
come for packet to take it's place in the world too.  There is no reason why,
in a few years, it can't be commonplace for there to be a packet box hooked up
to the PC in every house.  Maybe this is the technology it will take to finally
bring services like TELETEXT into the home.

Any comments on this diatribe will be accepted.
(I have my NOMEX underwear on  :-)

#include <std_disclaimer.h>

bill gunshannon

UUCP: {philabs}\		 	US SNAIL: Martin Marietta Data Systems
      {phri   } >!trotter.usma.edu!bill           USMA, Bldg 600, Room 26
      {sunybcs}/			          West Point, NY  10996
RADIO:         KB3YV		        PHONE: WORK    (914)446-7747
AX.25:         KB3YV @ K3RLI	        PHONE: HOME    (914)565-5256

matthew@ucscb.UCSC.EDU (73550000) (02/26/88)

In article <1170@trotter.usma.edu> bill@trotter.usma.edu (Bill Gunshannon) writes:
>                  ...  The people asking for a Personal Digital Radio Service
>don't want to be hams.  They have no interest in ham radio and probably the
>most important idea being missed here is that what they want to use packet for
>would be illegal over amateur radio.  Take a look at what is on the various
>phone BBS's.  They are loaded with shareware, for sale ads, and advertisements
>for various commercial products.  All things definitely out of place on amateur

Right. Two Comments...
First, that is EXACTLY why I would like to see a personal packet
network using some frequencies other than amateur. There are LOTS of
things that I can legally talk about on CB that I can't talk about
on amateur radio such as business communications, etc...
In fact, one probably couldn't read most of these articles on an amateur packet
channel due to their contents.

Secondly, the reason that I proposed CB channels instead of some NEW
set of channels, is that it is very unlikely that any new VHF/UHF
channels are available for a public packet network. I would prefer
the top part of CB being taken for packet, instead of the top part
of 6 meters.

Matthew Kaufman, KA6SQG
  (matthew@ucsck.ucsc.edu) (...!ucbvax!ucscc!ucsck!matthew)

p.s. I started this discussion about allowing packet on CB...
please don't tell me to go out and
get a ham license... I already have one. Thank You.

sorgatz@ttidca.TTI.COM ( Avatar) (02/26/88)

In article <1170@trotter.usma.edu> bill@trotter.usma.edu (Bill Gunshannon) writes:

>I agree with the comments in this reply except for one. And this seems to be
>.....................  The people asking for a Personal Digital Radio Service
>don't want to be hams.  They have no interest in ham radio and probably the
>most important idea being missed here is that what they want to use packet for
>would be illegal over amateur radio.  Take a look at what is on the various
>phone BBS's.  They are loaded with shareware, for sale ads, and advertisements
>for various commercial products.  All things definitely out of place on amateur
>radio.

 Real good. *NOW* we come to the crux of the matter.

    1) NOT INTERESTED IN AMATEUR RADIO.
    2) COMMERCIAL INTERESTS THAT PRECLUDE THE USE OF SAME

 Sounds like what these guys need is a telephone, huh? What they're asking for
is all the flexibility of Amateur without those nasty restrictions, tough.
 Until some astronomical occurance, this is not gonna happen. The use of
radio spectrum, as an experimenters hobby-zone is defined as Amateur Radio
Service, what they want is Commercial or Fixed Service. BTW: It usually costs
more than a telephone. And has some nasty restrictions about not competing
with the telephone system, etc.

>I believe it was hams who pioneerd such technological breakthrus like SSB,
>FM, and REPEATERS.  These ideas have since proven their value in the commercial
>world and are now considered just a part of the world we live in.  The time has
>come for packet to take it's place in the world too.  There is no reason why,
>in a few years, it can't be commonplace for there to be a packet box hooked up
>to the PC in every house.  Maybe this is the technology it will take to finally
>bring services like TELETEXT into the home.

 Yeah, right. Well, why not just get a cell-phone portable @ 800 Mhz and plug
in your modem, plug in your P.C. and wail??!!! Or is the real point here the
cost of doing exactly that?? The breakthrus that opened shortwave were indeed
pioneered by Amateurs, in fact the whole spectrum from 200 meters down was
ours at one time. The commercial interests put their stations into the HF
bands ILLEGALLY! No fines were issued, noone went to jail tho...typical of
the political machine to "sell off" something they don't own or have already
"given" rights to...without recompensation. Absurd. Hey, if a cellular fone
is too expensive, I guess they'll just have to rely on the twisted-pair, huh?
 Teletext is already in a lot of homes, via the phone lines, you don't need
packet radio for that; it's a commercial service provider, and you pay for
such things. At least according to the current FCC regs. Hell man, we can't
order a pizza via auto-patch! Why should unlicensed individuals be exempted
from the spirit of the laws?? Go ahead, explain.

>Any comments on this diatribe will be accepted.
>(I have my NOMEX underwear on  :-)

Nahh, come on OM, we're all in this together; besides I used up my monthly
supply of <<FLAMES!>> on those CB nerds! ;-) The fact is the telephone Co.
monopoly precludes such things, the Amateur's are not gonna let one Hz of
bandwidth get sucked-up for such stuff, and the CB community would start
tearing 27 Mhz packet-ops a new rectum the first time they heard a BRAZAPPP!
-it's a no-win proposition! The real stickler is the commercial interests
on the dial-up BBS's, this has no place in a hobbyist-radio service, licensed
or not..unless...you wanna open a bigger can of worms...and start looking
at (DRUM ROLL PLEASE!):

  P A Y  C B....!  UGH, shades of GMRS! (spatooie!)

 The BBS interests that offer products for profit would then be taxed at
some horrible rate to offset the public-trust of being allocated spectrum
space..just like the telephone company..oops! What about that? Is Ma Bell
(and those 6.02 x 10EE23 de-monopolized locals) gonna stand for such a run
for their money?? The answer is (MAY I HAVE THE ENVELOPE?): "not bloody
likely!". So, you see, the interests against such things as this are
mostly the commercial status-quo, the Amateur community is almost a "friend"
by comparison! ;-)
--

byrnes@ge-dab.GE.COM (Arthur J. Byrnes) (02/27/88)

In article <1960@ttidca.TTI.COM> sorgatz@ttidcb.tti.com (Erik Sorgatz - Avatar) writes:
>In article <1175@ucdavis.ucdavis.edu> ccs016@deneb.ucdavis.edu.UUCP (Patrick Tully  pstully@ucdavis) writes:
> Why not look at the ARRL Long Range Prediction charts? Real Radio Scientists
>have spent years developing this stuff, it might surprise you..and BTW most
>of the rumor-legends of CB are vaporware, this is another case of same.
>
>> This experimenting was done on Side band using a 3 beamed yagi, horizontal.
>
> "Side band"??? "a 3 beamed yagi, horizontal"??  Would you mind explaining
>these strange terms? Yagi's *are* beams. Some have 3 elements...these are

>read my posting to that other technotwit on 'sci.electronics', there isn't
                               ^^^^^^^^^
I think that your comments to Mr. Tully are childish and uncalled for.
It is attitudes like your's that turn many potential Hams away from the
hobby.  All of the terms that Patrick used are acceptable in everyday
conversation and are heard on the ham bands daily. Had he been writing
a term paper or thesis, then the flames would be vaild, but this group
is informal (remember REC.ham-radio ?).
I think that a posted apology is in order.

>or perks to the 11 meter crowd, so grow up! Get into real radio...
                        Good Advice!^^^^^^^^
                               Reread his message ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
from the text of Patrick's message it seems that he and his group
are "into real radio" they get out of it what they want, and that
is the most important part of any hobby.

>-Avatar-> (aka: Erik K. Sorgatz) KB6LUY           +-------------------------+

Past President Daytona Beach Amateur Radio Asoc.  Arthur J. Byrnes KA4WDK
UUCP:   ...!mcnc!ge-rtp!ge-dab!byrnes        General Electric
GEnet:  advax::byrnes                        1800 Volusia Ave, Rm 4412
Voice:  +1 904 258 2507                      Daytona Beach, FL 32015

Disclaimer; These views are those only of the author, Arthur.

jbn@glacier.STANFORD.EDU (John B. Nagle) (02/28/88)

      Looking out the window at the overcast, a thought comes to me.
Diffuse infrared systems have been built that work quite well indoors,
bouncing the signal off ceilings and walls so that line of sight is
not required.  Why not try diffuse infrared off the cloud deck as a
scheme for short-range outdoor communications?  Ranges of a few blocks
might be possible.  One could extend this with repeaters.  There would
be fading during good weather conditions, but in areas with smog and haze,
the atmosphere may never be transparent enough to prevent operation.

      Laser safety standards should not be a problem, since the beam is
diffused very widely and the peak energy per unit area, the regulated quantity
for lasers, will thus be very low.  Detection will require heavy filtering,
both optical and electronic, but with narrow-band optical interference
filters, negative s/n ratio modulation techniques, and packet error
correction, communication should be possible.

      Incidentally, all the necessary optical components, including
interference filters, are available from Edmund Scientific.

      No FCC licence is required for "blinking light signals", of course.

					John Nagle

> ... There is no reason why, in a
> few years, it can't be commonplace for there to be a packet box hooked up
> to the PC in every house...

Actually, yes there is:  choose a reasonable set of assumptions about how
many such boxes there are and how much traffic each one sends, and then
ask yourself how much spectrum space is necessary for this!  Don't forget
the desire for both interactive use, i.e. low and relatively constant
latency, and fast bulk transmission.  Then ask yourself whether there is
any reasonable part of the spectrum with that much free space.  Nope.

Moreover, this is a silly way to do things.  Radio is ideal for mobile
communications and broadcasting; using it as a substitute for wires
between two fixed points in a metropolitan area is dumb, not to say wasteful.
You can already buy a box which has many of the desired properties and needs
no spectrum space whatsoever!  It's called a Telebit Trailblazer, and it
gets 14kbps over normal phone lines.  If you believe the ISDN enthusiasts,
even this is small potatoes compared to what will be available soon.

There is, actually, reason for interest in packet radio links of this kind.
Not for computers in houses, but for laptops and their fancier successors
(e.g. the fabled Dynabook).  Unfortunately, such systems tend to want even
more spectrum, and it just isn't available.  What we may end up doing is
using broadcast optical (infrared) communications, which works fine at
short ranges in suitably-equipped areas.  If your Dynabook works in your
dorm room, in the library, in the study halls, and in the classrooms (or
non-academic equivalents of the above), it will be less important that it
won't work -- or at least won't talk to the outside world at high speed --
from the beach.
--
Those who do not understand Unix are |  Henry Spencer @ U of Toronto Zoology
condemned to reinvent it, poorly.    | {allegra,ihnp4,decvax,utai}!utzoo!henry

cgs@umd5.umd.edu (Chris Sylvain) (03/01/88)

In article <2114@saturn.ucsc.edu> matthew@ucsck.UCSC.EDU (Matthew Kaufman, KA6SQG) writes:
<In article <1170@trotter.usma.edu> bill@trotter.usma.edu (Bill Gunshannon) writes:
<< ...  The people asking for a Personal Digital Radio Service don't want to
<< be hams. ...

< ... Secondly, the reason that I proposed CB channels instead of some NEW
< set of channels, is that it is very unlikely that any new VHF/UHF
< channels are available for a public packet network. I would prefer
< the top part of CB being taken for packet, instead of the top part
< of 6 meters.

Whazzamadderwit 900 MHz? Why wouldn't the Cellular Radio folks like to provide
a new service and source of revenue for the companies involved ?
Any reason why the FCC would be against it ?
--
--==---==---==--
.. the vorpal blade went snicker-snack! ..

peting@cit-vax.Caltech.Edu (Mark Peting) (03/02/88)

One solution for providing a packet band without taking anyone's spectrum
is to allow the use of any unused UHF television channel in an area.
Even in large cities there are hundreds of megahertz available for this.
Just make it clear that any channel can be taken away if needed for T.V.
If the packet modems were able to switch to any channel then it would
not be any trouble to go to a new channel, and anyone trying to send into
a T.V. channel would never key up since the channel would always be busy
with the T.V. signal.  Also since UHF is rather line of sight there
shouldn't be much problem with interference with other cities that have
a different UHF assignment.

Mark Peting
Peting@csvax.caltech.edu

lyndon@ncc.UUCP (Lyndon Nerenberg) (03/03/88)

In article <5607@cit-vax.Caltech.Edu>, peting@cit-vax.Caltech.Edu (Mark Peting) writes:
> One solution for providing a packet band without taking anyone's spectrum
> is to allow the use of any unused UHF television channel in an area.
> Even in large cities there are hundreds of megahertz available for this.
> Just make it clear that any channel can be taken away if needed for T.V.

There would still have to be some type of frequency co-ordination
to prevent intermod interference to existing primary users of the
spectrum. Given that broadcast video is AM I don't think it would
take much power at the packet transmitter to screw up all the TV's
for several blocks around if you pick the "right" frequency.

Of course if you don't have any UHF TV stations around (like us) it
shouldn't be a problem...

--lyndon  VE6BBM  {alberta,utzoo}!ncc!lyndon

urjlew@ecsvax.UUCP (Rostyk Lewyckyj) (03/04/88)

In article <5607@cit-vax.Caltech.Edu>, peting@cit-vax.Caltech.Edu (Mark Peting) writes:
> One solution for providing a packet band without taking anyone's spectrum
> is to allow the use of any unused UHF television channel in an area.
> Even in large cities there are hundreds of megahertz available for this.
> Just make it clear that any channel can be taken away if needed for T.V.
> If the packet modems were able to switch to any channel then it would
> not be any trouble to go to a new channel, and anyone trying to send into
> a T.V. channel would never key up since the channel would always be busy
> with the T.V. signal.  Also since UHF is rather line of sight there
> shouldn't be much problem with interference with other cities that have
> a different UHF assignment.

I most heartily agree with this proposal. I hope that somebody
will start work on a proposal based on this to the FCC.
In order to have a better chance of success, the proposers need
to take care of the following items in advance of their approach
to the FCC.
 Develop plans for a transmitting system which would
not inadvertently cause interference to an occupied channel.
This means more than just a check for existing carrier before blasting
out your own transmission.  Currently channels are allocated
so that reception coverage areas will not overlap with at least
one reception area's worth of buffer area between assigned locations.
If a computer hobbyist located just outside the reception area of an
allocated channel cranked up his radio modem transmitter,
his signal might easily cause havoc to receivers just inside
the channels normal (fringe) reception area.
Develop an almost fool proof way to keep people from getting around
any interference preventing safeguards. At present the inability
of the general public from getting equipment that can transmit on
these TV frequencies minimizes thoughtless and malicious jamming.
Experience with illegal modifications to CB tranmitters shows
that this will probably be a serious problem.
The system also needs to be able to be easily modified to transmit on
different channels, so that it can be used in different locations where
different channels are free.

If the proponents of this plan can come up with solutions for these
difficulties, then there may be a chance for getting the FCC to
consider it. However you should be aware that other commercial
interests have surely cast their covetous eyes at all that "unused"
spectrum.

[ The original article I am following up was also posted to
rec.ham-radip.packet. Our site does not consider this to be
a serious group and refuses to handle it. Therefore I have
had to remove it from the distribution list. Perhaps someone
with access to both groups would be so kind as to forward this
note to that group].
             urjlew@ecsvax.UUCP ,  urjlew@tucc.bitnet
       or    urjlew@tucc.tucc.edu    (ARPA,SURA,NSF etc. internet)
       tel.  (919)-962-9107

dya@unccvax.UUCP (Edison Carter) (03/05/88)

In article <4726@ecsvax.UUCP>, urjlew@ecsvax.UUCP (Rostyk Lewyckyj) writes:
> In article <5607@cit-vax.Caltech.Edu>, peting@cit-vax.Caltech.Edu (Mark Peting) writes:
> > One solution for providing a packet band without taking anyone's spectrum
> > is to allow the use of any unused UHF television channel in an area.

No. No. No. No. No. And, NO!

> > Even in large cities there are hundreds of megahertz available for this.
> > Just make it clear that any channel can be taken away if needed for T.V.
> > If the packet modems were able to switch to any channel then it would
> > not be any trouble to go to a new channel, and anyone trying to send into
> > a T.V. channel would never key up since the channel would always be busy
> > with the T.V. signal.  Also since UHF is rather line of sight there
> > shouldn't be much problem with interference with other cities that have
> > a different UHF assignment.

    This is a crock of pure, unadulterated bullshit.

    Simply because a UHF TV channel is unoccupied, does not mean that
operating these low power packet radios on them will not cause inter-
ference to duly licensed broadcasters of both full power and low power
commercial and educational TV stations.

    In assigning UHF's to a community (or applying for a low power TV
license in them) the following items are considered:

    1) Blanketing and intermodulation on the 2,3,4,5 upper
       and lower adjacents (20 mile separation)
    2) - upper and lower Adjacent channel interference (55 miles)
    3) Protection of cochannel (for LPTV, a minimum of about 70
       miles; for fullpower stations, I think it is 155 miles spacing)
    4) Local oscillator blanketing-interference due to the 7th channel
       above (or theoretically, below, but most sets use high side
       injection) a given channel in a market. For example, if
       there is a channel 36 in a given market, channel 45 is not
       useable because oscillator reradiation from receivers tuned
       to 36 would blanket 43 if 43 were assigned to that market.
       This would also happen to packet radios.  Thus, 7 above
       requires 65 mile spacing.
    5) Sound image and picture image: (14, 15 channels below). These
       spacings are high.  I forgot what they are.  However, you
       can't operate 14 or 15 channels below a given assignment in
       a given market, because the image of this would beat with
       the local oscillator to fall in the desired assignment if
       you were tuned to the other assignment.

       For example, you have a 28 assinged to Anywhere, USA. You
       can't assign 14 or 15 there because if you did, the visual
       and/or aural of 28 would fall in 14 or 15 and cause objectionable
       interference.

       At least 14 other channels are precluded in a given market
because of a given allotment.  (However, the 2,3,4,5 adjacents are
usually assigned to nearby cities).  Of these, at least 6 are highly
critical.

     On cochannel allotments, suppose you live in Moore County, N.C.
and are trying to recieve your local NBC affiliate, channel 28 in
Durham (WPTF).  The signal strength there is 64 dBuV, the minimum
protected signal for grade "B".  Now, along comes some packet radio
jerk say, outside that contour.  The minimum protection ratio for
UHF TV is 45 dB (28 dB with precision offset, but that is another
story).  A signal of (64-45) or 19 dBuV would cause noticeable
interference.  19 dBuV is very easily achieveable by a bunch of yahoos
with their packet radios. One packet radio could take out a few hundred
square miles of reception at the 64 dBuV contour. This is unacceptable.
In the proposers' defence, they did bring this point up.

> I most heartily agree with this proposal. I hope that somebody
> will start work on a proposal based on this to the FCC.
> In order to have a better chance of success, the proposers need
> to take care of the following items in advance of their approach
> to the FCC.
>  Develop plans for a transmitting system which would
> not inadvertently cause interference to an occupied channel.
> This means more than just a check for existing carrier before blasting
> out your own transmission.  Currently channels are allocated
> so that reception coverage areas will not overlap with at least
> one reception area's worth of buffer area between assigned locations.

     Obviously, the poster doesn't understand a damn thing about the
nature of the UHF allotment procedure.  For one thing, the FCC have
already established "low power" (1 kw carrier input, unlimited antenna
gain) TV stations in the UHF band.  There are thousands of translators
already bringing TV service to rural areas which also must be protected.
Why should I (a LICENSED low power TV station owner) have to put up
with having my service area chewed up by a bunch of hackers?  How
much risk are they taking with their interference "studies" (a so-called
procedure which would NOT work)?  The determination of interference
to UHF allotments, both full and low power, is a matter for professional
engineers to determine, not a bunch of computer hobbyists.

> If the proponents of this plan can come up with solutions for these
> difficulties, then there may be a chance for getting the FCC to
> consider it. However you should be aware that other commercial
> interests have surely cast their covetous eyes at all that "unused"
> spectrum.

     You are damn straight.  Forget this.  You can be assured that the
Community Broadcasters Association, the Association of Maximum Service
Telecasters (AMST), the NAB, the AFCCE (Association of Federal Comm-
unicaitons Consulting Engineers), the SBE, major televison networks,
station group owners, and yours truly will fight vigourously to keep
this crap out of our spectrum.  THE UHF SPECTRUM IS NOT A BUNCH OF
UNUSED CAPACITY WAITING TO BE REAPED.  It is a well engineered
system for broadcasting.  If there is any unused capacity, it is
NEEDED for high definition television, further installation of
translators, and low power TV stations.  It is also needed (in some
cases) for public safety communications (police, fire, etc.).

     Low power TV allows entrepeneurs who couldn't afford the $8 million
to put a vehicle of local expression on the air for $300 k or so.
There are hundreds (soon, thousands) of smaller markets which now
have access to the television medium at an affordable level. Millions
of dollars have been spent on translators to bring commercial annd
public TV to remote areas.  Television is an integral part of public
service.  It brings not only entertainment, but vitally important
information in the form of news. Countless lives and billions have
been saved (and made) because of broadcast television.  What the hell
good is packet radio? It pales by comparison.

     Besides all of which, I doubt you guys can do it at 500 mHz.
Multipath interference is a big problem up there. Why don't you
look down in the 11 meter band from some spectrum.

     Sorry about the harsh and sometimes profane nature of this flame.
However, I own two LPTV stations about to go on the air, and
interference is the last thing we need.

David Anthony
DataSpan, Inc.
Owner W28AC  W06AM  Charlotte, N.C.   Concord/Kannapolis, N.C.

peting@cit-vax.Caltech.Edu (Mark Peting) (03/06/88)

I recently proposed the use of UHF television channels for packet radio
and saw a posted response/flame from David Anthony article <918@unccvax.UUCP>
with some criticism of this idea.

First criticism is that many channels that are not being actively used
for UHF television are still not usable for other services to protect
UHF television receivers from their own poor selectivity.  In my
original posting I suggested the use of unused channels, meaning those
channels that could be used for other services and were not, rather
than channels without a UHF signal.  I apologize for my lack of
clarity, since I clearly caused Mr. Anthony much concern about this.
What I am suggesting is that those channels that will someday later be
used for high or low power television or whatnot are currently free for
other uses, and it seems reasonable to use them until they are granted
permanently to some use.  All that is asked is for the FCC to put out a
list of currently free channels for each area, with care taken to avoid
interference, to be used with the understanding that they can be taken
away at any time.  If a packet radio is set to an active frequency it
will not key up, and if is is set to protected frequency it can be
found without interference from a high power source, so the locating of
violators is readily possible.

Second criticism is that these frequencies are better left for other
uses.  This is already understood, all that is asked is to use them
until they do become needed for other uses.  I do not propose to set
them aside for packet radio forever.

The third criticism is that packet radio will not work at these
frequencies due to multipath interference.  This is simply not the
case.  Hams use frequencies both higher and lower quite successfully,
and also multipath interference can be dealt with easily with adaptive
equalizers.

I am interested in any comments/criticisms of this but I do ask that
this be a discussion and not a shouting match.

Mark Peting
peting@csvax.caltech.edu

> ... Why not try diffuse infrared off the cloud deck as a
> scheme for short-range outdoor communications?  ...

Those of us in urban settings can also use diffuse infrared off tall
buildings (artificial clouds!).  At one point I seriously thought of
trying this as a way to get a fast link between my home and work, but
the combination of having moved to a less favorable location and having
acquired a Telebit Trailblazer has made me shelve the idea for now.
--

dya@unccvax.UUCP (Edison Carter) (03/07/88)

In article <5661@cit-vax.Caltech.Edu>, peting@cit-vax.Caltech.Edu (Mark Peting) writes:
> I recently proposed the use of UHF television channels for packet radio
> and saw a posted response/flame from David Anthony article <918@unccvax.UUCP>
> with some criticism of this idea.

(First point omitted for brevity)
>   1) Channels which could be used for other services that
       ate not, rather than channels without a UHF signal

     Obviously, I did not make myself clear. The allotment of a given
full service TV station precludes up to 14 channels from being used
in a given service area.  This is because of both interference caused
and interference received.

    Now, if you are talking about using **unoccupied** UHF channels
which are either in the Table of Allotments (a table showing where
UHF channels can be applied for) or could work in the Table of Allotments
(requiring a Petition for Rulemaking), then packet radio would be OK
provided that all the little packet radios go away when the full power
UHF goes on the air.

     However, lets talk about the two hundred and something Arbitron
television markets.  I know of precious few UHF allotments in any
metered market which are unapplied for (unoccupied, but not unapplied
for).  Most unoccupied channels are only unoccupied because several
mutally exclusive applicants are vying for that channel.  The unused
UHF capacity you speak of **does not exist**, at least where people
exist.

     Now, in North Carolina, the following UHF's are unoccupied at
present:

     High Point    67
     High Point   *32   * means educational
     Rockingham    53
     Laurel Hill   60 ?
     Morganton     23
     Manteo         4  (vhf)
     Kannapolis    64

     Of these, they are all in comparative hearings except for
Laurel Hill and Rockingham, which are unapplied for, are in the
boonies, and couldn't possibly support low power packet. High Point
is dark.

     What my beef is, is that there is no unused UHF spectrum, a fact
which no one seems willing to concede.  What little UHF spectrum there
is "unoccupied" is usually occupied by translators and LPTV's. These
are duly licensed services which are in the public interest, convenience
and necessity.

     The unused UHF-TV spectrum will be shortly used, to be sure, and
thus, there is no time, or need, to develop radios which can't be
used in 99.9% of the television markets in the US.

***** PROPOSAL *****

      However, since there seems to be a strong low power packet
faction out there, I do have a proposal:

      1) Allow licenseable entities to apply for a LPTV license in
a given community, giving full no-offset protection to all cochannel
stations (and meeting all other separation criteria). Upon a grant,
allow them to distribute and operate low power packet radios within
their interference-free contour.

      2) Allow the use of Channel 38, which is reserved for radio
astronomy, for low power packet, except within 100 miles of established
radio listening posts.

      3) Move low power packet to the band occupied by the FM2 proposal
(220 to 225 mHz)

      4) Allow low power packet to operate between channels 4 and 5.
      5) Allow low power packet on the ISM (Industrial, Scientific
and Medical) frequencies.

*****

     I don't want a shouting  match either, but the encroachment of
the UHF broadcast spectrum is a matter which I will highly defend,
as a licensed broadcaster who is taking the risk to serve the public
interest.

     The FCC would have no way to publish where packet radios would
not cause any harmful interference.  The reason is that this data would
be so massive, it would require a hand cart to transport it all in
boxloads.   When I have run UHF LPTV studies on every channel at just
** one ** location, it is about 175 pages of useful data. This costs
about $300.  Secondly, if someone did publish such data, the LPTV
interested parties would snap it up and apply for even more LPTV
stations.

      There are precious few unapplied for channels in the USA. If
you don't use regular protection criteria, then you must revert to
LPTV rules.  The D/U ratio for interference is a matter of radio
physics, not one of what service is being carried.  In general,
a cochannel signal of 19 dBuV or better WILL CAUSE INTERFERENCE TO
A UHF STATION AT ITS GRADE "B" CONTOUR.

     What about spread spectrum in the lower sideband?

David Anthony
DataSpan, Inc

john@anasaz.UUCP (John Moore) (03/07/88)

In article <4726@ecsvax.UUCP> urjlew@ecsvax.UUCP (Rostyk Lewyckyj) writes:
>In article <5607@cit-vax.Caltech.Edu>, peting@cit-vax.Caltech.Edu (Mark Peting) writes:
>> One solution for providing a packet band without taking anyone's spectrum
>> is to allow the use of any unused UHF television channel in an area.
>> Even in large cities there are hundreds of megahertz available for this.
There is a company in California (I forget the name) that has a patented
system for doing this. However, they are careful to only transmit during
the horizontal and vertical blanking interval of the adjacent (if any) channel.
This protects receivers of that channel, which might otherwise show
interference.
	TV receivers are very sensitive detectors of interference. Signals
40 dB less than carrier power can be seen on the video quite easily. Also,
UHF TV receivers are not too selective - that's why the FCC keeps the
UHF stations 6 channels (36 MHZ) apart, wasting all that bandwidth in
the first place!

--
John Moore (NJ7E)   hao!noao!mcdsun!nud!anasaz!john
(602) 870-3330 (day or evening)

			See below!--------------^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>system for broadcasting.  If there is any unused capacity, it is
>NEEDED for high definition television, further installation of
>translators, and low power TV stations.  It is also needed (in some
>cases) for public safety communications (police, fire, etc.).
While your technical arguments are correct, they
could be interpreted to show that UHF TV an incredible waste
of spectrum space! With a typical stations consuming 7 channels
(it's own plus 3 guard channels), that station uses 42 MHz of spectrum.
That is more spectrum than the ENTIRE HF BAND - just so someone can watch
a few reruns and a TV broadcaster can reap bucks primarily by having
acquired a public resource (the spectrum) for his own private, government
protected, business! So... save us your sanctimonious flames! Some day,
the public will become aware of the convenience and safety that they
could get if these frequencies were opened up to mobile telephone, messaging,
remote control, packet radio, etc! Meanwhile, DBS and cable will remove the
EXCUSE for allocating this precious natural resource to reruns of I love
lucy! Just how many stations does it take to properly serve an area? How
about an urban area with available cable? You call for the "NEED" for
HDTV. Need? To waste even more bandwidth???? How about using satellite?
Satellite, of course, uses just as much spectrum (or more). However, it
can happen on frequencies that are technically unsuitable for mobile
radio, such as K-band. (Try making a mobile antenna for K-band - you either
get an unacceptably small capture area or unacceptable directivity).

--
John Moore (NJ7E)   hao!noao!mcdsun!nud!anasaz!john
(602) 870-3330 (day or evening)
The opinions expressed here are obviously not mine, so they must be
someone else's.

jbn@glacier.STANFORD.EDU (John B. Nagle) (03/09/88)

     If you want low-power licence-free packet, write to the FCC and
express your support of General Docket #87-389.  The FCC has proposed
opening up the 902 to 928 MHz band for "licence-free consumer broadcasting",
with no bandwidth, use, or modulation restrictions.  The intent is to
provide for new classes of short-range consumer products.

					John Nagle

john@anasaz.UUCP (John Moore) (03/11/88)

In article <17352@glacier.STANFORD.EDU> jbn@glacier.UUCP (John B. Nagle) writes:
>     If you want low-power licence-free packet, write to the FCC and
>express your support of General Docket #87-389.  The FCC has proposed
>opening up the 902 to 928 MHz band for "licence-free consumer broadcasting",
>with no bandwidth, use, or modulation restrictions.  The intent is to
>provide for new classes of short-range consumer products.

On the other hand, if you are a ham or believe that ham radio
is a good service, write the FCC and OPPOSE general docket 87-389. 902-928 MHZ
is currently allocated to ham radio, and will soon experience considerable
use from hams!

--

sorgatz@ttidca.TTI.COM ( Avatar) (03/12/88)

In article <927@unccvax.UUCP> dya@unccvax.UUCP (Edison Carter) writes:
>***** PROPOSAL *****
>
>      However, since there seems to be a strong low power packet
>faction out there, I do have a proposal:
>
>      3) Move low power packet to the band occupied by the FM2 proposal
>(220 to 225 mHz)

 Did you happen to research what this band is currently allocated for? 220
is an allocation to the Amateur Service. It has been the target of a large
number of spectrum-raiders, lately, and FM2 has recently been denied. No
one in the Ham circles will support this proposal, it's that simple.

>      4) Allow low power packet to operate between channels 4 and 5.
>      5) Allow low power packet on the ISM (Industrial, Scientific
>and Medical) frequencies.

 Sure. Why not? ;-) Don't hold your breath...

>     I don't want a shouting  match either, but the encroachment of
>the UHF broadcast spectrum is a matter which I will highly defend,
>as a licensed broadcaster who is taking the risk to serve the public
>interest.

 Fine. No shouting. How about a quiet little discussion about just exactly
where the broadcast industry derived it's authority from, regarding the
move below 200 meters? Are you even aware of the history surrounding this?
 Your *almighty* broadcast industry invaded the short-wave spectrum illegally,
using frequencies, at will, that were designated as part of the Amateur
service. No arrests, no fines, nothing like that...the broadcast industry
just paid-off the government and bought huge chunks of spectrum. Public
interest? Come on. It's pure profit-motive to you guys, the bs about you
serving the public interest is a load because there is so little real
competition in broadcasting..even the Cable franchises were perceived as a
threat. Don't pretend, go research the spectrum allocations a little.

>     What about spread spectrum in the lower sideband?

 What about it? Spread-spectrum is the 'little-darling' of the NSA, even
Amateurs are not allowed a free hand in using this mode. You think the
Powers-that-Be are going to seriously consider allowing unlicensed ops
to send data at high speeds using this technique? Do you believe in the
Tooth-Fairy? ;-)
--

jay@splut.UUCP (Jay Maynard) (03/13/88)

From article <927@unccvax.UUCP>, by dya@unccvax.UUCP (Edison Carter):
>       3) Move low power packet to the band occupied by the FM2 proposal
> (220 to 225 mHz)

NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

In case you haven't noticed, there's an actively used ham band there.
There's a current proposal to grab only the bottom two MHz of that band and
even that is being heavily fought by the amateur community. There is enough
activity on that band that cannot be moved elsewhere to justify it remaining
in the amateur service. Several proposals in the past have been put forth to
steal this band, and all have failed. Without exception.

>       4) Allow low power packet to operate between channels 4 and 5.
>       5) Allow low power packet on the ISM (Industrial, Scientific
> and Medical) frequencies.

These two are much more reasonable.

>      I don't want a shouting  match either, but the encroachment of
> the UHF broadcast spectrum is a matter which I will highly defend,
> as a licensed broadcaster who is taking the risk to serve the public
> interest.

I will just as strongly defend every hertz of the amateur spectrum from
those who would take it for commercial purposes. Hams serve the public
interest just as much as, if not more than, commercial broadcasters.

--
Jay Maynard, EMT-P, K5ZC...>splut!< | GEnie: JAYMAYNARD  CI$: 71036,1603
uucp: {uunet!nuchat,academ!uhnix1,{ihnp4,bellcore,killer}!tness1}!splut!jay

sewilco@datapg.DataPg.MN.ORG (Scot E. Wilcoxon) (03/14/88)

In article <927@unccvax.UUCP> dya@unccvax.UUCP (Edison Carter) writes:
>      2) Allow the use of Channel 38, which is reserved for radio
>astronomy, for low power packet, except within 100 miles of established
>radio listening posts.

100 miles does not seem sufficient to ensure there will be no
interference with a transmitter a million times further away.
--
Scot E. Wilcoxon   sewilco@DataPg.MN.ORG   {amdahl|hpda}!bungia!datapg!sewilco
Data Progress	   C and UNIX consulting   +1 612-825-2607

dya@unccvax.UUCP (Edison Carter) (03/16/88)

In article <697@anasaz.UUCP>, john@anasaz.UUCP (John Moore) writes:
> In article <918@unccvax.UUCP> dya@unccvax.UUCP (Edison Carter) writes:
> >In article <4726@ecsvax.UUCP>, urjlew@ecsvax.UUCP (Rostyk Lewyckyj) writes:
> >> In article <5607@cit-vax.Caltech.Edu>, peting@cit-vax.Caltech.Edu (Mark Peting) writes:

> >UNUSED CAPACITY WAITING TO BE REAPED.  It is a well engineered
> 			See below!--------------^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
> >system for broadcasting.  If there is any unused capacity, it is
> >NEEDED for high definition television, further installation of
> >translators, and low power TV stations.  It is also needed (in some
> >cases) for public safety communications (police, fire, etc.).
> While your technical arguments are correct, they
> could be interpreted to show that UHF TV an incredible waste
> of spectrum space! With a typical stations consuming 7 channels
> (it's own plus 3 guard channels), that station uses 42 MHz of spectrum.
> That is more spectrum than the ENTIRE HF BAND - just so someone can watch
> a few reruns and a TV broadcaster can reap bucks primarily by having
> acquired a public resource (the spectrum) for his own private, government
> protected, business! So... save us your sanctimonious flames! Some day,

     These are not sanctimonious flames.  Simply because the allocation
standards "waste" spectrum space in a given area (each channel precludes
the allotement of up to 14 others at the same transmitter site) does
NOT mean the television spectrum is wasted.

     This is the typical, narrowminded view of a nonbroadcaster.
Commercial broadcasters do in fact run "I Love Lucy" reruns. It is
not up to land mobile/packet interests to decide how many stations
can serve a market.  It is up to those who have PAID THE DUES TO
TAKE THE RISK to operate a commercial TV station.

     For one thing, MOST UHF TV allotments are in markets under
50.  Many UHF allotments are to places where people are operating
one TV station in a city.  Do you honestly think that there is
a pile of individuals in, say, Laurel Hill, N.C. clamoring for
the use of that spectrum for land mobile?

     Secondly, land mobile have not even used the channels which
they've got (or are reserved).  I sure do hear a lot of dead air
between 30 and 50 mHz these days.

     Third, commercial broadcasting HAS ALREADY DONE ITS PART in
giving up channels 70-83 to land mobile, etc.

     Commercial broadcasting is a vitally important economic
resource for our economy.  Whether you like what commercial broadcasters
broadcast is a matter of opinion.  The billions of dollars which
have been generated via advertising revenues, new jobs, and the
expansion of the economy mean that the UHF spectrum, exceptionally
well engineered and doing fine, thank you, justifies its occupation
of its bandwidth, and has indeed paid its way.

     Furthermore, there are TV "white areas" (Rockingham, N.C. is
one) which are expanding to the point where they can justify the
construction of a new UHF-TV station.  This, to provide service to
half a million people without a visual outlet of local expression.
Do you think Wilmington, Raleigh, Greensboro, Florence (SC) or
Charlotte TV stations care about this region?

     Demanding that UHF-TV spectrum be broken down for a hypothetical
public economic interest that would be orders of magnitude less
important is like demanding that Interstates be torn up to
install goat paths.  Frankly, I'm sick and tired of commercial TV
interests being called "sanctimonious", "greedy","spectrum hogs",
and all that stuff. The taxes which are generated from the income
to commercial TV stations pays its way, at least.  It takes a
tremendous amount of financial and entrepenurial risk to put a
TV station on the air.  Since I doubt you have done it, find out
about us before giving the knee-jerk "sanctimonious" argument.

     Be that as it may, I'd say look lower (and higher) for home
low-power packet spectrum.....

Steaming mad at this point,
David Anthony
DataSpan, Inc
Satellite Radio Network, Inc.

In article <2076@ttidca.TTI.COM>, sorgatz@ttidca.TTI.COM ( Avatar) writes:
> In article <927@unccvax.UUCP> dya@unccvax.UUCP (Edison Carter) writes:
> >***** PROPOSAL *****
> >
> >      However, since there seems to be a strong low power packet
> >faction out there, I do have a proposal:
> >
> >      3) Move low power packet to the band occupied by the FM2 proposal
> >(220 to 225 mHz)
> >
>  Did you happen to research what this band is currently allocated for? 220
> is an allocation to the Amateur Service. It has been the target of a large
> number of spectrum-raiders, lately, and FM2 has recently been denied. No
> one in the Ham circles will support this proposal, it's that simple.
>
> >      4) Allow low power packet to operate between channels 4 and 5.
> >      5) Allow low power packet on the ISM (Industrial, Scientific
> >and Medical) frequencies.
> >
>  Sure. Why not? ;-) Don't hold your breath...

     Why not allow packet on ISM.  At least I have forwarded reasonable
technical material of substance to support my arguments. It seems to
me that only a minor change of the rules is required to use the 72 to
76 mHz spectrum.

     As for FM2, I just found out it was denied. He's back, though,
now asking for 90 new FM channels between 32 and 34. Oh, well....

> >     I don't want a shouting  match either, but the encroachment of
> >the UHF broadcast spectrum is a matter which I will highly defend,
> >as a licensed broadcaster who is taking the risk to serve the public
> >interest.
> >
>  Fine. No shouting. How about a quiet little discussion about just exactly
> where the broadcast industry derived it's authority from, regarding the
> move below 200 meters? Are you even aware of the history surrounding this?

     Quite.  Now, we all go dark tomorrow. What are you going to do
with all that spectrum? 'Taint good for much, is it.

>  Your *almighty* broadcast industry invaded the short-wave spectrum illegally,
> using frequencies, at will, that were designated as part of the Amateur
> service. No arrests, no fines, nothing like that...the broadcast industry
> just paid-off the government and bought huge chunks of spectrum. Public
> interest? Come on. It's pure profit-motive to you guys, the bs about you
> serving the public interest is a load because there is so little real
> competition in broadcasting..even the Cable franchises were perceived as a
> threat. Don't pretend, go research the spectrum allocations a little.

    Really, little competition in broadcasting? Have you sold one minute
of advertising time in your life?  Broadcasting is vital and healthy as
an economic interest.  What in the hell is wrong with the profit motive?
Sounds like a whiney bleeding heart liberal political argument, not
an engineering basis to accomplish a goal.

     Taking the huge (know what a 2000 foot tower sells for today?)
economic risk to buy or operate a TV station means bigger profits
for those who ultimately succeed.  That's the way of the world, bub.
So my ancestors-in-life took the spectrum they needed? Did the FRC
have any authority? The Department of Commerce? Was it even possible
to communicate at 800 mHz in the 1920's? I've a frequency chart
on my wall from an IRE Journal published in the 30's (at home), it
only goes up to 450 mHz.

     Lets see:

     AM radio: 107 channels of 10 kHz each: 1.07 mHz occupied
     FM radio: 100 channels of 200 kHz each: 20.0 mHz occupied
     TV: 68 channels of 6 mHz each: 408 mHz occupied

     Lets see, now, that is 429.07 mHz of spectrum being occupied
by a how many billion dollar industry?  Last time I checked, people
were using how many gHz radios? I would say that (except for small
allocations for intercity relay, STL, and so on) that there are
approximately 25,000 mHz give or take a few not being used by
broadcasting direct-to-the consumer.

> >     What about spread spectrum in the lower sideband?
> >
>  What about it? Spread-spectrum is the 'little-darling' of the NSA, even
> Amateurs are not allowed a free hand in using this mode. You think the
> Powers-that-Be are going to seriously consider allowing unlicensed ops
> to send data at high speeds using this technique? Do you believe in the
> Tooth-Fairy? ;-)

     No, but I believe that it is only a matter of time before every
high school kid will build spread spectrum radios with a nice DSP
kit, a few CPU's, and so on, as a science fair project. I wish the
Amateurs would be allowed spread spectrum useage, or at least allowed
to experiment with it.

     What I am curious about is, is that if commercial broadcasting took
all that spectrum, what was anyone else going to do with it?

(sigh)

David Anthony
DataSpan, Inc.

david@daisy.UUCP (David Schachter) (03/16/88)

[line eater bug-- does it still exist?]

My bias: I don't care either way; I'm not particularly biased.

My comment:

Mr. Anthony's argument is unconvincing.  He argues that because
commercial broadcasters pay taxes and provide jobs, they are some-
how entitled to large allocations of a scarce resource.  He also
makes an argument that commercial television broadcasters are
entitled to bandwidth because they risk much money on their
stations and because some stations serve areas which some people
claim are underserved.

The arguments in favor of packet radio cannot compete with the
economic analysis of existing commercial television broadcasters
because there is no existing packet radio service of the type
under discussion.  Therefore, no analysis can point to data with
as much authority and experience as commercial television.

However, if the proven financial success of a service is to be
the deciding factor in granting spectrum allocations, then no
new service will ever be introduced.

Commercial television broadcasters pay taxes; this does not give
them a lock on public policy decisions regarding spectrum alloca-
tion.  Commercial television broadcasters provide jobs, risk
money, and, to an extent which is controversial, they provide a
valuable service to the public.  None of these factors give an
obviously overwhelming reason to preserve the UHF-TV allocation
in (financial) favor of commercial television broadcasters.

Allocation of spectrum is not a narrow issue, to be decided on
financial grounds alone.  It is a public policy issue, in which
many competing factors must be taken into account.  This is one
reason why the Federal Communications Commission cannot react
quickly; it is deluged with comments from many special interest
groups and, being a political body, it cannot appear to give in
to any of them.

Allocation of spectrum must be decided on the basis of the public
interest, which is the charter of the FCC.  Mr. Anthony would make
a stronger case by discussing the merits of commercial television
broadcasting in more than financial terms.  For example, what
service will be provided by an incremental increase of UHF TV
broadcasting?  How does this compare with the establishment of
public packet radio?

The level of acrimony in the discussion has been excessive.
While Mr. Anthony is, understandably, concerned about the possible
effect on his financial future, a more reasoned and reasonable
tone of discussion may prove helpful.

					-- David Schachter

disclaimer: Neither me or my company have any financial, personal,
or emotional stake in packet radio, television, or related topics.
(And I only watch PBS, fer sure.)

ron@topaz.rutgers.edu (Ron Natalie) (03/18/88)

But, you've missed the point.  Most of the populace does'nt give a
rats eye about packet communication.  They don't have computers any
more significant than a video game.  What they do care about is TV,
telephones, and to a lesser extent public service (Fire, Police, ...)
uses of the spectrum.  To be able to talk on a CB or the fact that
some ham is talking to Africa is of little concern to them.

As an aside, I'm wondering how well Land Mobile is really doing if you
don't count Cellular Phones (one normally doesn't but someone mentioned
the loss of the short end of the UHF-TV spectrum).  Back before it was
technically illegal to listen in on the calls, it was amazing how much
of the traffic was actually contracters and such that would normally have
been a big business band user.  These guys have really been fleeing the
high-priced commercial radios for the cheaper and more versatile telephone.
The monthly charges to the phone company probably are no worse than the
operational expense of a wide area mobile radio system.

Maybe we should be arguing for the demise of Land Mobile expansion than
taking away TV outlets available to each and every member of the public.

-Ron

f12012ag@deimos.unm.edu.unm.edu (03/20/88)

In article <620@datapg.DataPg.MN.ORG> sewilco@datapg.DataPg.MN.ORG (Scot E. Wilcoxon) writes:
>In article <927@unccvax.UUCP> dya@unccvax.UUCP (Edison Carter) writes:
>>      2) Allow the use of Channel 38, which is reserved for radio
>>astronomy, for low power packet, except within 100 miles of established
>>radio listening posts.
>
>100 miles does not seem sufficient to ensure there will be no
>interference with a transmitter a million times further away.
>--
>Scot E. Wilcoxon   sewilco@DataPg.MN.ORG   {amdahl|hpda}!bungia!datapg!sewilco

Here here!  I must agree with Scot.  Besides, just imagine all of the
SETI alarms that would go off if propagation on UHF suddenly got better.
Let the radio astronomers have clear listening.  The bands allocated for
radio astronomy are small enough as it is.

73

Ollie - N6LTJ

SEDS-UNM : Students for the Exploration and Development of Space
Box 92 Student Union, University of New Mexico, Albuquerque, NM  87106
(505) 277-3171