[sci.electronics] microcontrollers. was "I need a serial data decoder .."

richardk@puff.cs.wisc.edu (Richard Kottke) (04/05/88)

Apologies for posting this, but my mailer sez "cain't git there from here" when
I try to send this.

In article <763@actnyc.UUCP> Robert writes:
>On a somewhat related topic, I heard about a chip (manufacturer unknown)
>which had a microprocessor, some D/A or A/D circuitry, and possibly some RAM
>and ROM.  The part number I recall is something like 8520.  At the time, I
>looked to several distributors, with no luck.  Since then, I have gotten a
>bit fuzzier on the number... Anybody have any info on this sucker?

Sounds like an Intel microcontroller.  Intel has 3 families:

8048 - basic microprocessor, 64 to 128 bytes RAM, 0 to 4K ROM or EPROM,
       1 timer/counter, 12 I/O port pins.

8051 - better microprocessor with boolean functions, 128 to 256 bytes RAM, 0
       to 8K ROM or EPROM, 2 or 3 timer/counters, onboard serial port, 32
       I/O port pins.

8096 - 16 bit microprocessor, 10 bit A/D converter, PWM output, 2 serial ports,
       6 timer/counters, 256 bytes RAM, 0 to 8K ROM or EPROM, 40 I/O port
       pins.

All of these chips come in ROMless, ROM or EPROM versions.  If you are
building a one-of-a-kind gizmo, go ROMless and use an external EPROM.  If
you are going into production, you prototype with the EPROM version and then
order a bunch with mask-programmed ROM.  ROMless versions of the 8048 and
8051 go for about $5.00.  The EPROM versions are more like $20.00 - $50.00
and require a special programmer.  I haven't seen the 8096 in any hobby
catalogues, but I guess it is not cheap.
  Motorola also makes a series of microcontrollers, the 6805 family.  To get
more & better info, check out the "Intel Microcontroller Handbook" or similar
data books from Motorola and National.
    -Rich

--
Richard Kottke                      |       ,----|__,-------------- sel