[sci.electronics] homebrew air ionizer?

pzl@hjuxa.UUCP (pzl) (04/03/88)

Hi,
I want to build my own air filter/air ionizer (negative ion generator).
Bionair, Norelco, and a few other manufacturers have the units for over
$100, and it seems like it should be easy/cheaper to make one.
I already have a filterer made of a muffin fan and a norelco replacement
filter, but I have no idea where to get something that will generate
the ions. Anyone have any ideas???

Thanks in advance,
Pete

adam@lamont.Columbia.edu (adam levin) (04/06/88)

In article <867@hjuxa.UUCP>, pzl@hjuxa.UUCP (pzl) writes:

> I want to build my own air filter/air ionizer (negative ion generator).
> Bionair, Norelco, and a few other manufacturers have the units for over
> $100, and it seems like it should be easy/cheaper to make one.

I remember reading that some poorly designed NIGs that were being sold
put out ozone.  A nice thing to have in the atmosphere, but dangerous
in your house.  I think you may be better off checking Consumer Reports,
then spending the money for a quality unit.
-Adam Levin

--
Phone:  (914) 359-2900 x340
Post:   Lamont-Doherty Geological Observatory / Palisades, NY 10964

cgs@umd5.umd.edu (Chris Sylvain) (04/07/88)

In article <475@lamont.Columbia.edu> adam@lamont.Columbia.edu (adam levin) writes:
>... ozone.  A nice thing to have in the atmosphere, but dangerous
>in your house.

Try: "..a nice thing to have in the UPPER atmosphere.."

Ozone near the ground is just as nasty as in one's house. Ask any smoggy city.
--
.. the Jabberwock, with eyes of flame, ..

awylie@pyr1.cs.ucl.ac.uk (04/08/88)

I have seen several ionizer projects in electronics magazines here in
England. They all are just EHT generators, typically a few thousand
volts, connected to a sharp point. This generates a brush discharge
which ionizes the air. You have to be a bit careful with the EHT
of course.