[sci.electronics] Re : Ham radio telephone interference

richm@amc.UUCP (Rich Moran) (04/13/88)

>From: davidson@intvax.UUCP (William M. Davidson)
>
>I have a neighbor that is a amateur radio operator and sometimes I can pick
>up his transmissions on our kitchen wall phone.  I know that the FCC has a
>law about radio and tv interference.  Does the same law apply to phone
>interference?  If yes, what recourse do I have to stop the interference?
>
>I am unable to understand anything that my neighbor is saying including has
>call letters.  But his transmissions are louder than the phone conversation
>so I usually have to hang-up and try the phone call later.
>
>--

	The first thing to do is to talk to your neighbor about the problem.
It is very possible that his signal is in accordance with FCC-mandated limits
with regard to power levels and signal purity.
	The problem is that the strong local RF signal is picked up in the
phone wires.  Many of the less expensive telephones now on the market don't
sufficiently bypass this RF at the phone. Instead, it comes into the phone,
where it is rectified in the internal circuitry, producing the audio you hear.
	I had this problem with my phone, and found that a simple LC filter in
the phone line, right before the telephone, took care of the problem.
	Give your neighbor the opportunity to try such a simple solution in
 your case before involving the FCC.

If your neighbor refuses to help you, then you have a case for a higher
authority.

Rich Moran