[sci.electronics] frequency of a rat

todd@uop.edu (Dr. Nethack) (04/11/88)

A friend of mine lives on a levee, lots of rodentia about..

Dogs barking all night means little sleep..

My sugestion was to find the frequency used in those mouse zappers,
build an oscillator, and crank it out of some horn tweeters over
the bank (and use a transducer to crank under the water if necessary).

Where does one find tables of such frequencies and their effects?

(CRC handbook of obnoxious electronic tricks)  :-)

Thanks!

+ uop!todd@uunet.uu.net                                               +
+                 cogent!uop!todd@lll-winken.arpa                     +
+                                 {backbone}!ucbvax!ucdavis!uop!todd  +

matthew@ucscb.UCSC.EDU (73550000) (04/11/88)

In article <1313@uop.edu> todd@uop.edu (Dr. Nethack) writes:
>A friend of mine lives on a levee, lots of rodentia about..
>
>Dogs barking all night means little sleep..
>
>My sugestion was to find the frequency used in those mouse zappers,
>build an oscillator, and crank it out of some horn tweeters over
>the bank (and use a transducer to crank under the water if necessary).
>
>Where does one find tables of such frequencies and their effects?
>
>(CRC handbook of obnoxious electronic tricks)  :-)
>
>Thanks!

1. According to several sources (including the FTC) those things
 don't work against ANYTHING.

2. Even the ones that say that they don't bother cats and dogs
 occasionally do... that won't help the dog barking problem
 one bit.

3. (and the most annoying one)  MANY of those (especially the
 cheap ones) have spurious radiation swept across the 140-160 MHz
 RF spectrum... this can bother television reception, amateur
 radio operators, and public service channels (police, fire, etc...)

I really doubt that such a device is possible, given the large
variety of things that you want to keep away, the things that
you DON'T want to bother, and the intelligence of many of these
things... rats learn VERY quickly to ignore ultrasonics,... just
like you probably don't notice the sound of your TV set after
a few mintues of watching.

Matthew Kaufman
(matthew@ucsck.ucsc.edu, ...!ucbvax!ucscc!ucsck!matthew)

tedk@ihuxv.ATT.COM (Kekatos) (04/13/88)

In article <1313@uop.edu| todd@uop.edu (Dr. Nethack) writes:
|A friend of mine lives on a levee, lots of rodentia about..
|
|Dogs barking all night means little sleep..
|
|My sugestion was to find the frequency used in those mouse zappers,
|build an oscillator, and crank it out of some horn tweeters over
|the bank (and use a transducer to crank under the water if necessary).
|
|Where does one find tables of such frequencies and their effects?
|
|(CRC handbook of obnoxious electronic tricks)  :-)

There was once a company selling devices which contained
a large electro-magnet "loosely" connected to a metal bar.
The entire unit weight was about 6-7 pounds. A Hefty device.
There was a on/off switch and a pilot light.

The metal bar is secured to house plumbing. The electro-magnet
then VIRBATES at 60hz. There is a CHATTERING sound that is transmitted
into the pipes.

The theory is that the 60Hz buzzing drives the rodents crazy.

??????????????????????????

Does it work? I don't know.

Ted G. Kekatos
backbone!ihnp4!ihuxv!tedk                     (312) 979-0804
AT&T Bell Laboratories, Indian Hill South, IX-1F-460
Naperville & Wheaton Roads - Naperville, Illinois. 60566 USA

davef@brspyr1.BRS.Com (Dave Fiske) (04/13/88)

In article <2761@saturn.ucsc.edu>, matthew@ucscb.UCSC.EDU (73550000) writes:
> In article <1313@uop.edu> todd@uop.edu (Dr. Nethack) writes:
> >My sugestion was to find the frequency used in those mouse zappers,
> >build an oscillator, and crank it out of some horn tweeters over
> >the bank (and use a transducer to crank under the water if necessary).
> >
> >Where does one find tables of such frequencies and their effects?
> 1. According to several sources (including the FTC) those things
>  don't work against ANYTHING.

I don't remember exactly who did this, but I saw someone test one of
those anti-roach devices on television, and to illustrate how
ineffective it was, they dumped a bunch of roaches on it, and they all
huddled on top of the thing, like this was the one spot in the world
where they most wanted to be.

Now, of course, if you WANT to attract roaches, it would be great.  :^)
--
   "THIS HAPPY GAL LISTENS TO RADIO      Dave Fiske  (davef@brspyr1)
    THROUGH FILLINGS IN HER TEETH"       BRS Information Technologies

dudek@csri.toronto.edu (Gregory Dudek) (04/14/88)

In article <2761@saturn.ucsc.edu> matthew@ucscb.UCSC.EDU ((Matthew T. Kaufman)) writes:
>In article <1313@uop.edu> todd@uop.edu (Dr. Nethack) writes:
>>
>>My sugestion was to find the frequency used in those mouse zappers,
>>build an oscillator, and crank it out of some horn tweeters over
>>the bank (and use a transducer to crank under the water if necessary).
>>

>1. According to several sources (including the FTC) those things
> don't work against ANYTHING.

  Well, our family go one in the country & it sure seemed to chase away
the omnipresent mice.  Occasionally one will reappear, but now it's
once a year instead of constant.
  Among other things, this gadget sends out a pulse every second or
so, rather than transmitting constantly.  Maybe that makes it harded
to get acclimatised to.

   Gregory Dudek
--
Dept. of Computer Science (vision group)    University of Toronto
Reasonable mailers:  dudek@ai.toronto.edu

gmw8868@fedeva.UUCP (Mitch Wood) (04/14/88)

In article <3207@brspyr1.BRS.Com>, davef@brspyr1.BRS.Com (Dave Fiske) writes:
> In article <2761@saturn.ucsc.edu>, matthew@ucscb.UCSC.EDU (73550000) writes:
> > In article <1313@uop.edu> todd@uop.edu (Dr. Nethack) writes:
> I don't remember exactly who did this, but I saw someone test one of
> those anti-roach devices on television, and to illustrate how
> ineffective it was, they dumped a bunch of roaches on it, and they all
> huddled on top of the thing, like this was the one spot in the world
> where they most wanted to be.

Yes, as a matter of fact, I use to have one of those devices before I moved
from my APT. We had a major roach problem in the APT, so I hooked up this
little device in hopes that it would actually work. It never seemed to make
much differance, but when we moved, and unplugged the device (on a kitchen
counter next to the refridge) and picked it up, there were 1000s of roaches
under, in and behind the device. They made a nice little condo out of it!!

YUCK!!

Beware!!!!

Mw.

! Mitch Wood @ FEDERAL EXPRESS Memphis, TN   | Fill in the .signature         !