[sci.electronics] Home Automation wire for sale

nivek@ROVER.RI.CMU.EDU (Kevin Dowling) (04/15/88)

Now in the final phases of redoing my house I have some wire left over from
a massive rewiring project.

The wire is TRI/CON made by BrinTec (A large communications wire company)
This cable is multi-conductor and consists of the following:

12AWG-2 with ground, SHIELDED power cable
4 twisted pairs (telephone wire, solid 22 awg)
1 RG-59 75 Ohm coax.

Great for local area networks, Broadband antenna or video signals, Phones,
Individual 20A circuits!

500' of TRI-CON, 5 outlet boxes, clamps, clamp tools: $250.00
Each outlet box has duplex receptacles, F-connector, and a modular
phone jack.

If you're interested I'll show how I'm setting up patching around the
breaker box and how I've run the wire throughout the house.
Each room has at least one TRI-CON line. 500' will do a several bedroom
house.

For those who don't live in the Western PA or Ohio areas the wire could be
shipped. I would suggest shipping sans reel however which constitutes most
of the weight and volume! It might be possible to have someone at CMU who
is driving in a given direction to drop it off somewhere too. With the
end of the semester coming up there are many students scattering to
the four winds.

nivek
Aka :	Kevin Dowling		Bell:	(412) 268-8830
Arpa:	nivek@rover.ri.cmu.edu	Mail:	Robotics Institute
				Carnegie Mellon University
				Pgh, PA 15213-3890

zonker@blblbl.UUCP (Rugby Wench) (04/19/88)

In article <1419@pt.cs.cmu.edu>, nivek@ROVER.RI.CMU.EDU (Kevin Dowling) writes:

> The wire is TRI/CON made by BrinTec (A large communications wire company)
> This cable is multi-conductor and consists of the following:

> 12AWG-2 with ground, SHIELDED power cable
> 4 twisted pairs (telephone wire, solid 22 awg)
> 1 RG-59 75 Ohm coax.

> Each outlet box has duplex receptacles, F-connector, and a modular
> phone jack.

Is this stuff UL listed?   How are the low voltage/class 2 conductors and
the terminations seperated from 120/240 stuff?

I have never encountered this sort of thing.  It sounds fairly fishy.

(And what would you NEED all those 20A single receptacle circuits for,
anyways?)

Curious, in many ways,
--zonker
mit-eddie!blblbl!zonker