[sci.electronics] HELP with LASRS and GRAPHICS!!!!

ellert@convex.UUCP (04/09/88)

I know of two laser surplus dealers that sell various laser related stuff
(power supplies, scanners, mirrors, power meters, etc.  (addresses below).
Both sell General Scanning Z170 scanners for $100 to $200 the pair (probably
used, but in good condition).  These scanners are small (about the volume of
a cigarette pack, but "squattyer") with a shaft extending out of one end.

The rotation of the shaft is slight (~ 10 degrees) requiring fairly long
scanner-to-ceiling distance, the dual coils of low impedance and requiring a
fairly high current signal, and the 3db point is somewhere around 300 Hz or
so (a carefully designed high pass filter may help this some - taking care
not to crisp the windings ...).  There are probably some very troublesome
mechanical resonances in these things as well (maybe a notch filter is in
order here).  But the price isn't too much.

Small, low mass, very thin (~0.1 mm) front surface mirrors are available
from Edmund Scientific (ask for the heavy-duty catalog).  Some sort of low
mass but still adjustable collar (setscrew maybe?)  should probably be used
to mount the mirror to the scanner shaft as opposed to gluing the mirror
directly to the shaft.

Good luck!  Let us know what you find out/how it works out.

Meredith Instruments   POB 1724  Glendale AZ 85311     (a little cheaper)

M. J. Neal Company   6672 Mallard Ct.  Orient  OH  43146

leigh

oliver@cup.portal.com (04/11/88)

Are there text or publications that go into detail about laser scanning
systems????
Circuitry..Computers..etc....
Oliver@cup.portal.com

rusty@cadnetix.COM (Rusty) (04/12/88)

In article <61700002@convex> ellert@convex.UUCP writes:

>I know of ....

Well, I've got a strange thing I need: some sort of transducer
to bounce a laser beam off of (in order to modulate it digitally).

But, before you think, 'Oh, that's easy", try the desired features
on for size:

  want to modulate at as high a rate as possible.  (150mHz would
be great, but I'll settle for 500kHz, and 100kHz might work ok)

  digital modulation (two states: laser on, laser off) to be effected by
passing laser through what amounts to a (very thin) slit (ok, I'll
give it away - I plan to pass the laser beam through a telescope),
so beam deflection need not be too huge.

  budget is very important.  (I am self-funded - i.e. broke - for
this project)

Any ideas?  Could i use an ultrasonic transducer in some way?
What is the highest useable freq for an Ultrasonic xducer?  what is
its bandwidth?

how about taking the cover off of a crystal and frequency modulating
the crystal (very slightly, i realize)?

The speed of liquid crystals is too slow, i think.  Anything else
like LC I could use? (Power is only in the 2-5 mW range at the moment)
--
    Rusty Carruth	N7IKQ		DOMAIN: rusty@cadnetix.com
    Cadnetix Corp.			UUCP:   cadnetix!rusty

joel@mit-amt.MEDIA.MIT.EDU (joel s. kollin) (04/14/88)

In article <2335@cadnetix.COM> rusty@cadnetix.COM (Rusty) writes:

>Well, I've got a strange thing I need: some sort of transducer
>to bounce a laser beam off of (in order to modulate it digitally).

>  want to modulate at as high a rate as possible.  (150mHz would
>be great, but I'll settle for 500kHz, and 100kHz might work ok)
OA>
>  digital modulation (two states: laser on, laser off) to be effected by
>passing laser through what amounts to a (very thin) slit (ok, I'll
>give it away - I plan to pass the laser beam through a telescope),
>so beam deflection need not be too huge.

You can use an acousto-optic modulator to deflect the laser beam
and/or turn it off and on rapidly. Try Crystal Tech in Palo Alto.
Other companies and electro-optics technology can be found in optics
buyers guides (Photonics or Laser Focus).
I hope you're not thinking of laser tv.  It's been done.
Also, putting the modulated beam though a telescope will change the
deflection angle.

>how about taking the cover off of a crystal and frequency modulating
>the crystal (very slightly, i realize)? OA

Maybe.  Sounds like it's worth a shot to me.  If it works you should
write about it.

>The speed of liquid crystals is too slow, i think.  Anything else
>like LC I could use? (Power is only in the 2-5 mW range at the moment)

Doubtful. Why bother when you're using coherent light?  Acousto-optics
can modulate laser light up to 3 GHz.

joel

oliver@cup.portal.com (04/14/88)

Well to abtain that speed you need BUCKS!!

The only way to get modulation at that speed commercialy is with an
Acoustic Optic (AO)..
This uses a crystal vibrated to create a standing wave from the input beam.
This can effectivly be pulsed at 500khz (I am not quite shure on the fig.)
One drawback is that this method waste power....
What is your Application?
I might be able to help you more if I knew what it was....

Oliver@cup.portal.com
Laser Fantasy

ellert@convex.UUCP (04/15/88)

There is something called an A-O modulator (probably acoustic-optical) that
when properly driven will deflect the beam a few degrees.  The device
consists of a crystal of some presumably exotic material which is driven by
a high frequency oscillator/amplifier.  The beam is directed *through* the
crystal and logic or video signals input to the high frequency driver cause
the crystal to refract the beam differently causing it to deflect a little.

The only one I have seen used a 40 mHz (!)  driver, was physically very
small (2 or 3 cubic inches), used a LOT of power (got real hot during
operation), and was capable of modulation well into the video range,
although the deflection was a mere 7 mm @ 1 meter.  At this distance, the
beam can be moved past a hole or slit for digital modulation or across a
variable gradient filter for sorta analog output.

These are available from Meredith Instruments for $100 or so.

There are some laser head/modulator assemblies floating around the surplus
market that were removed from large FAX equipment.  The assembly includes an
AC HV laser power supply, a 1.5 mW precision multi-stepped-capillary bore He-Ne
laser tube (current modulates better than straight bore...), intensity
feedback, and a modulator board.  All that is missing is a +/- 15 vdc power
supply to run the modulator.  Seems like both analog and digital response
was good out past 80 kHz.  I have seen these at flea markets and some
surplus catalogs for around $150.

The only really CHEAP laser modulator I am aware of (and it probably does
not work) is a polorization rotator...  Saw this at the International
Science Fair in 1971:

The beam from a high spectral purity, polarized laser is sent down the air
core of a long (6 feet) coil wound with a single layer of small wire with a
polarizing filter on the output end.  The high-current modulation signal was
applied to the coil, thereby rotating the polarization of the beam.  This
rotation caused a beam of varing intensity to exit the polarization filter
on the end.  I have not seen this actually operate, however the project did
win it's regional competition back when there was a relatively higher level
of technology demonstrated by high school students - so maybe it does work a
little.   Probably only a few percent modulation, though.

leigh   (214) 952-0598  (214) 492-5794

oliver@cup.portal.com (04/18/88)

AO's do not bend the light....They create a Standing Wave and split the
beam...Yes they do use a LOT of power but if fast switching is what your after
this is the ticket.....

What is the number for Merith Instruments??
I am intersted what quality AO's are avaible for $100..The ones we use in our
head cost us around $1500 a piece!!!

Oliver@cup.portal.com

jbm@eos.UUCP (Jeffrey Mulligan) (04/19/88)

From article <4584@cup.portal.com>, by oliver@cup.portal.com:

> AO's do not bend the light....They create a Standing Wave and split the
> beam...Yes they do use a LOT of power but if fast switching is what your after
> this is the ticket.....

You might be able to deflect the beam by frequency modulating
the RF exciter.  The angles of the secondary beams are certainly
a function of the frequency.

> What is the number for Merith Instruments??
> I am intersted what quality AO's are avaible for $100..The ones we use in our
> head cost us around $1500 a piece!!!

Does this cost include RF source and/or amplifiers?

--

	Jeff Mulligan (jbm@ames-aurora.arpa)
	NASA/Ames Research Ctr., Mail Stop 239-3, Moffet Field CA, 94035