[sci.electronics] Ringer Magneto Wanted

rib@mhuxt.UUCP (Robert I. Block) (04/15/88)

I'm looking to acquire a "ringer" magneto (the kind of hand-cranked
A-C generator once employed to generate the ringing voltage on
field phones.

Has anybody seen one of these advertized by a surplus outfit?
Once, these were common items from rural phone modernizations
and surplused military field phones, but I haven't seen one
in some years.

Oh, by the way, the reason I want one is to make a worm gathering aid.

commgrp@silver.bacs.indiana.edu (04/18/88)

>I'm looking to acquire a "ringer" magneto (the kind of hand-cranked AC
>generator once employed to generate the ringing voltage on field
>phones...
>
>Oh, by the way, the reason I want one is to make a worm gathering aid.

Fair Radio Sales in Lima, Ohio might have some telephone generators.
Army field phones were very common at hamfests (usually about $12
each) until about 8 years ago.  Maybe they all went to El Salvador or
the paramilitary/survivalist freaks snarfed them all up.  Anymore,
they're hard to find and the ones available are ridiculously
expensive.

I never tried to use a hand-generator to make earthworms come to the
surface, but it would probably take a LOT of cranking.  I've done it
by sticking two 1/4" rods into the ground, about 3' apart, connected
to 115VAC, and that works very well indeed (works on crawdads too)!
Yes, one side of the 115 is already grounded, but you need two probes
to get an intense field between.

I've also seen old dynamotors used for fishing:  Connect one side of
the high voltage to metal boat, other side through insulated wire to
end of long pole in water, 10' or more from boat.  Stunned fish float
to surface and you dip them up with a net.  Electric fishing is
considered poaching, and is ILLEGAL (but it's quieter than dynamite)!
--

Frank     W9MKV
reid@gold.bacs.indiana.edu

tedk@ihuxv.ATT.COM (Kekatos) (04/18/88)

In article <2384@mhuxt.UUCP> rib@mhuxt.UUCP (Robert I. Block) writes:
>I'm looking to acquire a "ringer" magneto (the kind of hand-cranked
>A-C generator once employed to generate the ringing voltage on
>field phones.
>
>Has anybody seen one of these advertized by a surplus outfit?

American Science Center, 5?00 North Northwest Highway, Chicago IL.
This store is just like Edmond Science. I have seen the Magneto
hand cranked generators there. As I remember, they are expensive.
There is another store directly next door that sells military surplus.
I think the name is "Jimco" or "Jamesco".

Ted G. Kekatos
backbone!ihnp4!ihuxv!tedk                     (312) 979-0804
AT&T Bell Laboratories, Indian Hill South, IX-1F-460
Naperville & Wheaton Roads - Naperville, Illinois. 60566 USA

dmt@ptsfa.PacBell.COM (Dave Turner) (04/19/88)

In article <2384@mhuxt.UUCP> rib@mhuxt.UUCP (Robert I. Block) writes:
>I'm looking to acquire a "ringer" magneto (the kind of hand-cranked
>A-C generator once employed to generate the ringing voltage on
>field phones.

Edmund Scientific and Herbach & Rademan, Inc both have them.

H & R's address is:

	Herbach & Rademan, Inc.
	401 East Erie Ave.
	Philadelphia, PA 19134
	215-426-1708

Ask for their "This Month" catalog.

The price is about $20.00 from each.

--
Dave Turner	415/542-1299	{ihnp4,lll-crg,qantel,pyramid}!ptsfa!dmt

todd@uop.edu (A Wizard, a True *) (04/19/88)

In article <2384@mhuxt.UUCP>, rib@mhuxt.UUCP (Robert I. Block) writes:
> I'm looking to acquire a "ringer" magneto (the kind of hand-cranked
> A-C generator once employed to generate the ringing voltage on
> field phones.

Those can be had from Fair Way Radio in Ohio.
Look in the back of an ole "Radio Electronics" mag.

> Oh, by the way, the reason I want one is to make a worm gathering aid.

Hell, just make a Tesla coil.. use a Ford coil..

Trivia of the day.. can anyone out there tell me what a

"Fletcher Phone" is??  C'mon Max.. you know??

     "Never date a girl who has spurs hanging on her brass bed"
+ uop!todd@uunet.uu.net                                               +
+                 cogent!uop!todd@lll-winken.arpa                     +
+                                 {backbone}!ucbvax!ucdavis!uop!todd  +