[sci.electronics] Wire for Home Automation

nivek@ROVER.RI.CMU.EDU (Kevin Dowling) (04/20/88)

>From: zonker@blblbl.UUCP (Rugby Wench)
>Subject: Re: Home Automation wire for sale
>Date: 18 Apr 88 20:50:47 GMT

>In article <1419@pt.cs.cmu.edu>,nivek@ROVER.RI.CMU.EDU (Kevin Dowling) writes:

>> The wire is TRI/CON made by BrinTec (A large communications wire company)
>> This cable is multi-conductor and consists of the following:
>> 12AWG-2 with ground, SHIELDED power cable
>> 4 twisted pairs (telephone wire, solid 22 awg)
>> 1 RG-59 75 Ohm coax.
>> Each outlet box has duplex receptacles, F-connector, and a modular
>> phone jack.

>Is this stuff UL listed?   How are the low voltage/class 2 conductors and
>the terminations seperated from 120/240 stuff?

Wire is UL Approved (not just listed)  and NEC Approved according to Jose
Leon, New Product Manager for BrinTec. Separation is through an extruded
sheath that has the cables separate from one another. They've had excellent
sales according to Brintec.

>I have never encountered this sort of thing.  It sounds fairly fishy.

Well, I guess if you've never encountered something it must be fishy. Sheesh.

>And what would you NEED all those 20A single receptacle circuits for,anyways?

They are 20A <circuits>. Each room is one (at least) circuit. Other
receptacles, and lighting in some cases, are run from this outlet.

>Curious, in many ways,
>--zonker
>mit-eddie!blblbl!zonker

The patch panel in the basement has a 200AMP service (room for 40 breakers)
and a set of punch blocks for the twisted pairs, connections for video,
a series of F connectors for patching video. It's easy to patch cable,
antennas, phone lines, security stuff, modems, other home control devices.
I would like to keep computing devices like hard disks and modems elsewhere
and be able to tap my Macs in anywhere in the house (or out of it!)

I don't think my system is that elaborate actually, and I'll bet that this
kind of system will be the norm and not the exception in new  residental
construction in the next 10 years or so. It's already the case in office
environments that LAN/Phone/Video and Power wiring is being done in the same
pull. Some wiring contracters are seeing this and specializing in this
already. With the advent of the Homebus standards in the next year or so
there will be a rapidly growing need for these technologies.

--nivek
Aka :	Kevin Dowling		Bell:	(412) 268-8830
Arpa:	nivek@rover.ri.cmu.edu	Mail:	Robotics Institute
				Carnegie Mellon University
				Pgh, PA 15213-3890