[sci.electronics] Encapsulation in plastic for ruggedization

jbn@glacier.STANFORD.EDU (John B. Nagle) (04/25/88)

      I'm interested in ruggedization treatments for small PC boards.
The first approach is conformal coatings.  I've tried Final-Kote,
but all I get is a thin tacky film that takes about two days to dry.
What are some good alternatives, preferably ones that won't affect
tuned RF circuits?  I'd like a thick, clear coat covering the components.

      There are also plastics for fully encapsulating a circuit in a
solid block.  Any suggestions here?

					John Nagle

kevin@calvin.EE.CORNELL.EDU (Kevin Tubbs) (04/26/88)

In article <17420@glacier.STANFORD.EDU> jbn@glacier.STANFORD.EDU (John B. Nagle) writes:
>      I'm interested in ruggedization treatments for small PC boards.
>What are some good alternatives, preferably ones that won't affect
>tuned RF circuits?  I'd like a thick, clear coat covering the components.

The guys in my research group that build payloads for rocket experiments
use clear Dow/Corning RTV (expensive).  I think they either dip the boards,
or pour it on, then pour off the excess.  Makes a nice smooth coating.

--
Kevin Tubbs, 5152 Upson, Cornell University, Ithaca NY, 14853  (607) 255-8703
kevin@calvin.ee.cornell.edu  {uunet,rochester}!cornell!calvin!kevin