[sci.electronics] PSPICE Demo

cgs@umd5.umd.edu (Chris Sylvain) (04/25/88)

[For the curious folks who've never heard of SPICE:]

MicroSim is a software company in California, the address is part of the
DOC file. The full product costs about $3000 with all the bells and
whistles included, this demo will at least give you a taste for them.

The Demo I posted is actually *USEFUL*, albeit limited. It doesn't just
spit pleasant looking graphics at you.

For the casual circuit analysis (you're limited to 10 transistors, so I
guess that means a passive circuit of no more than 30-40 nodes -- I haven't
explored the full limit of the "Demo"), it's a nice thing to have without
having bought the full package. (You can convince your boss later that you
just can't live without having the full product at your disposal!)

I'm a satisified MicroSim customer, and I wouldn't post this "demo" if
all it was is an advertisement. (You think I'd really blatantly waste
netbandwidth? I'm posting this because of the flurry of curious inquiries)
--
--==---==---==--
.. All mimsy were the borogoves, ..

larry@sgistl.SGI.COM (Larry Autry) (04/27/88)

In article <2622@umd5.umd.edu>, cgs@umd5.umd.edu (Chris Sylvain) writes:
<
<           The full product costs about $3000 with all the bells and
< whistles included, this demo will at least give you a taste for them.
<
< The Demo I posted is actually *USEFUL*, albeit limited. It doesn't just
< spit pleasant looking graphics at you.
<
< For the casual circuit analysis (you're limited to 10 transistors, so I
< guess that means a passive circuit of no more than 30-40 nodes -- I haven't
<    UUCP: ..!uunet!umd5.umd.edu!cgs

Ten transistors?  Great! Thats not only useless, but ridiculous.  Please
dont' post crap like that and expect the entire net to pass it down the
line.  I never flame anyone, but this posting deserves it.
--
					Larry Autry
larry@sgistl.sgi.com

kad@ttrde.UUCP (Keith Drescher) (04/28/88)

In article <5595@sgistl.SGI.COM> larry@sgistl.SGI.COM (Larry Autry) writes:
>In article <2622@umd5.umd.edu>, cgs@umd5.umd.edu (Chris Sylvain) writes:
><
><           The full product costs about $3000 with all the bells and
>< whistles included, this demo will at least give you a taste for them.
><
>< The Demo I posted is actually *USEFUL*, albeit limited. It doesn't just
>< spit pleasant looking graphics at you.
><
>< For the casual circuit analysis (you're limited to 10 transistors, so I
>< guess that means a passive circuit of no more than 30-40 nodes -- I haven't
><    UUCP: ..!uunet!umd5.umd.edu!cgs
>
>Ten transistors?  Great! Thats not only useless, but ridiculous.  Please
>dont' post crap like that and expect the entire net to pass it down the
>line.  I never flame anyone, but this posting deserves it.
>--
>					Larry Autry

I have to disagree that this version of PSPICE is useless.  There is a
class of people to whom this would be very useful (I think).  That class
of people is STUDENTS (quite of few of them use this network).  I remember
using spice back when I was an undergrad and 10 transistors would have been
more than enough for the circuits we simulated.  Of course, for REAL
designs, Larry is right, but the Demo would be useful for many of the
"Introduction to transistor circuit analysis and design with computer
applications" type classes that I have seen offered by various universities.
Perhaps the PSPICE people are even targeting this class of people with
their demo, i.e. it will be useful (and free) to a student, and then when
the student gets to the real world, s/he'll be familiar with the product and
convince his/her boss to purchase the full blown thing.  A nice touch.
The thing is very obviously useless for the practicing professional (I didn't
download it because I don't find demos worth the effort of uudecoding,
downloading, and de-arcing).

Anyway, perhaps we shouldn't flame things JUST BECAUSE THEY ARE OF NO USE
TO US.  Perhaps someone else on the net would find it useful.
--
Keith Drescher (kad@ttrdc)          	   | ... You can check out any
AT&T                                       | time you like - but you can

cgs@umd5.umd.edu (Chris Sylvain) (04/28/88)

In article <5595@sgistl.SGI.COM> larry@sgistl.SGI.COM (Larry Autry) writes:
>In article <2622@umd5.umd.edu>, cgs@umd5.umd.edu (Chris Sylvain) writes:
><
>< The Demo I posted is actually *USEFUL*, albeit limited. It doesn't just
>< spit pleasant looking graphics at you.
><
>< For the casual circuit analysis (you're limited to 10 transistors, so I
>< guess that means a passive circuit of no more than 30-40 nodes --
>
>Ten transistors?  Great! Thats not only useless, but ridiculous.  Please
>dont' post crap like that ... [blah, blah, woof, woof]
>larry@sgistl.sgi.com

I hope the net will please 'scuse me, but I feel I must respond to this
insult in order to maintain a "stress-free" [NBC] existence.

Read no further, if your wont is not to see flame.

Hey, smartman! So tell me then, how many transistors were in the recently
discussed RIAA filter, huh ?!!

Look, I suppose analysis of a Chebyschev filter is beneath you or
something, right ? You don't analyze on or two transistor circuits
anymore 'cause they're "trivial" or rather not stimulating enough to
your most discriminating sensibilities!!!

Stay off my CRT, smartman!

(Honest, my .signature program picks these at random, really it does!)
--
--==---==---==--
.. the Jabberwock, with eyes of flame, ..

sct@beta.UUCP (Stephen Tenbrink) (04/30/88)

In article <5595@sgistl.SGI.COM>, larry@sgistl.SGI.COM (Larry Autry) writes:
> Ten transistors?  Great! Thats not only useless, but ridiculous.  Please
> dont' post crap like that and expect the entire net to pass it down the
> --
> 					Larry Autry
> larry@sgistl.sgi.com

	It may be useless for you, Larry, but others may find it worth while.
You can always hit the old 'n' key if you don't like something.  Don't try
to tell me, or others, what is ridiculous, let us be the judge!  I agree
you're not going to design a 40 watt stereo amp with 10 transistors but
there is some educational benifit to it.

c60b-gk@buddy.Berkeley.EDU (James Chou) (05/01/88)

Can anyone post the PSPICE documentation on the net? Thanks.

James Chou