[sci.electronics] Radio booster

snyderw@pawl22.pawl.rpi.edu (Wilson P. Snyder II) (05/04/88)

	I am a member of a club which uses Radio Shack headset walkie-talkies.
We are having a problem with the range of these units, so I replaced the
antenna with a longer, common wire which runs through several rooms.  Now,
the problem is that this decreased the antenna gain, so now I need to boost
the power output of the radio.  I assume that the radio was at the 100mw
FCC limit (47 MHz), but since the antenna is now less eficient, boosting
should be possible.
	So, what I am interested in is a small 9Vdc circut to boost the
radiated antenna power.  Thanks.

Wilson P. Snyder II		snyderw@pawl.rpi.EDU
318 Crockett Hall, RPI		518-276-2764
Troy, NY 12180-3590		802-658-3799 in summer

sfq@bcd-dyn.UUCP (sfq) (05/05/88)

> We are having a problem with the range of these units, so I replaced the
> antenna with a longer, common wire which runs through several rooms.
>
> 	So, what I am interested in is a small 9Vdc circut to boost the
> radiated antenna power.

Replacing the antenna was a no-no.  ESPECIALLY replacing the antenna with
one longer than 45 feet (actually, 15 meters).

And now you want to add a footwarmer to it.

There's a reason those radios have limited range--they're *supposed* to.
What will nearby people who are trying to use their radios do when you've
begun to block them out with high power?  Well, they could put on an
amplifier...

--
Stanley F. Quayle	UUCP: cbosgd!osu-cis!bcd-dyn!sfq
(614) 424-4052		USPS: 505 King Ave., Columbus, OH  43201

johng@trwind.UUCP (John Greene) (05/06/88)

In article <845@imagine.PAWL.RPI.EDU> snyderw@pawl22.pawl.rpi.edu (Wilson P. Snyder II) writes:

>	I am a member of a club which uses Radio Shack headset walkie-talkies.
>We are having a problem with the range of these units, so I replaced the
>antenna with a longer, common wire which runs through several rooms.  Now,
>the problem is that this decreased the antenna gain, so now I need to boost
>the power output of the radio.  I assume that the radio was at the 100mw
>FCC limit (47 MHz), but since the antenna is now less eficient, boosting
>should be possible.
>	So, what I am interested in is a small 9Vdc circut to boost the
>radiated antenna power.  Thanks.

If the antenna is less efficient now than it was before, why change it???

I think your problem is not a less efficient antenna, but a terrible
impedance mismatch you introduced with the long wire.  The radio is designed
to have maximum gain using a 50 ohm load at the antenna, anything else is
going to result in standing waves which means more power dissipated in the
radio than radiated to the air.

There are several ways to increase the gain of an antenna by it constuction.
The easiest to implement would be to make a dipole of the proper length for
47 MHz.  This may be all that you need.  I don't remember the correction factor
for calculating the wavelength in air but I'm sure you can find it in the
library or someone on the net may have it handy to post.  A properly constructed
antenna may be all that you need.

--
John E. Greene    "People are just like frankfurters....You have to decide
                   if you're going to be a hot dog or just another wiener" DLR

cgs@umd5.umd.edu (Chris Sylvain) (05/08/88)

In article <1019@bcd-dyn.UUCP> sfq@bcd-dyn.UUCP (sfq) writes:
>> We are having a problem with the range of these units, so I replaced the
>> antenna with a longer, common wire which runs through several rooms.
>
>Replacing the antenna was a no-no.  ESPECIALLY replacing the antenna with
>one longer than 45 feet (actually, 15 meters).

The FCC gives you two choices:

(1) a fixed output power into an antenna of fixed size, or,

(2) any output power into an antenna of any length, but the field-strength
    allowable at a fixed distance is fixed.

The intent is to limit the ERP of the unlicensed transmitter.

Would you like me to dig up the specs. so I can cite chapter and verse ?
--
.. He chortled in his joy. ..