[sci.electronics] X10 Questions

dcj@sun.uucp (Don Jackson) (05/08/88)

I'm moving to a new place, and I want to expand
my X10 control capabilities.  Does anyone out there
have some good ideas for how to control the following:

1) Lawn Sprinklers.
   The current setup is 6 manually controlled valves.
   I would like to replace the manual valves with some
   electronically controlled valves.  While at the hardware
   store I saw some valves that will do the trick.  Apparently
   they are controlled by a timer, and either 12 or 24 volts
   DC.  Is there some sort of X10 module I use to controll these
   valves?

2) Thermostat.
   The X10 thermostat controller doesn't look too smart.
   Is there a better one?  My current house has an
   electronic thermostat, but the user interface is a real
   pain, and it doesn't tie into the X10 system at all.

If you have some ideas or experience with similar problems,
I'd love to hear from you.

Don Jackson
dcj@sun.con

milazzo@titan.rice.edu (Paul Milazzo) (05/09/88)

In article <52412@sun.uucp> dcj@sun.uucp (Don Jackson) asks about
a BSR X10 interface for his sprinkler system; so far he has found only
valves activated by low-voltage DC, inappropriate for the X10 system.

I recently picked up two 120 VAC water valves at an electronics surplus
store.  The valves are labelled "DELTROL CONTROLS / MILWAUKEE WIS" on
one side, and what looks like "DSV-10" on the other.  The solenoid is
marked "120 VAC  HZ 50/60  30 WATTS".

These valves should work well with BSR appliance modules.  They have
exposed electrical contacts, so they must be properly housed.  They
also make a loud "THWOCK!" noise as they switch, but that's fine; I
only paid $4/each for them...

Like Don, I'm also interested in a better BSR thermostat control.  Any
ideas?

                                Paul G. Milazzo <milazzo@rice.EDU>
                                Dept. of Computer Science
                                Rice University, Houston, TX

alw@eddie.MIT.EDU (Alan Wu) (05/14/88)

Easiest way to control low-voltage solenoid valves (6/12/24V) from X10
is to plug a small stepdown transformer into an X10 appliance module.
What is needed is a small plug-in transformer (similar to those
abandoned by the phone company when incandescent-lit phones get phased
out) or purchasable from various parts stores.  It's simple and safe.

--
--Alan Wu
Usenet: alw@mit-eddie / Internet: alw@eddie.mit.edu

todd@uop.edu (Dr. Nethack) (05/18/88)

In article <679@thalia.rice.edu>, milazzo@titan.rice.edu (Paul Milazzo) writes:
> In article <52412@sun.uucp> dcj@sun.uucp (Don Jackson) asks about
> a BSR X10 interface for his sprinkler system; so far he has found only
> valves activated by low-voltage DC, inappropriate for the X10 system.
> The solenoid is
> marked "120 VAC  HZ 50/60  30 WATTS".
> These valves should work well with BSR appliance modules.

And work well for your mortician!

Look, I have worked with electric sprinkler devices, and repaired them.
There is a reason they are low voltage...SAFETY!!

And moreover, they are all low voltage A.C. not D.C.  The transformers
don't rectify the power, they just knock it down.

The *advantage* of low voltage stuff:

It is everywhere.
It is easy to maintain.
It is cheap.

If you really want to run it with your X-10, (much more expensive than
say a Richdel (tm) system)

Then get the low voltage valves and such and rig the valves with a
transformer of their own, one to a valve, and switch 110 into the
xfmr. and that will SAFELY trip the valves.

But that is a waste of money!  You can get valves and excellant timers
(mechanical and digital) to run your system, with all kinds of programs
for MUCH LESS money than what you are trying to do.

If you are obsessed with your X-10 doing everything, then go blow your
money, (and maybe your life) with full 110 gear, but I hardly find it
worth it, just to find something else for your X-10 to do!

"The sum of the intelligence of the world is constant,
                                            The population is growing."
+ uop!todd@uunet.uu.net                                               +
+                 cogent!uop!todd@lll-winken.arpa                     +
+                                 {backbone}!ucbvax!ucdavis!uop!todd  +