[sci.electronics] Snubbers, free wheeling diodes, and power devices

phd@speech1.cs.cmu.edu (Paul Dietz) (05/25/88)

I'm looking for info on the use of snubber circuits for protecting
switching circuits from large inductive loads. Does anybody know of
a good reference?

Also, just how much can you get away with just by using a free wheeling
diode?

And while we're on the subject of power problems, I need to get some
info from the major manufacturers of thyristors and related devices.
The problem is that I don't know who to call. I know TI used to make
some, and the same with SGS, but that's a pretty short list...

As always, any info is greatly appreciated! Oh, and if there is sufficient
interest, I will post responses to the net...

Paul H. Dietz                                        ____          ____
Dept. of Electrical and Computer Engineering        / oo \        <_<\\\
Carnegie Mellon University                        /|  \/  |\        \\ \\
--------------------------------------------     | | (  ) | |       | ||\\
"If God had meant for penguins to fly,             -->--<--        / / |\\\  /
he would have given them wings."            _________^__^_________/ / / \\\\-

is813cs@pyr.gatech.EDU (Cris Simpson) (05/26/88)

In article <1754@pt.cs.cmu.edu> phd@speech1.cs.cmu.edu (Paul Dietz) writes:

>And while we're on the subject of power problems, I need to get some
>info from the major manufacturers of thyristors and related devices.
>The problem is that I don't know who to call. I know TI used to make
>some, and the same with SGS, but that's a pretty short list...

I have been very pleased with my dealings with International Rectifier,
mostly for MOSFETS. Their reps are generally knowledgeable, and the  factory
FAEs very helpful. Their catalog contains enough info to teach a quarter-
long course.

Just a satisfied customer,
Cris

--
||...despair! Despair I can handle, it's the hope...    J.Cleese,Clockwise ||
Cris Simpson

enjvr@dcatla.UUCP (Jayant V. Ragde) (05/27/88)

In article <1754@pt.cs.cmu.edu> phd@speech1.cs.cmu.edu (Paul Dietz) writes:

>And while we're on the subject of power problems, I need to get some
>info from the major manufacturers of thyristors and related devices.
>The problem is that I don't know who to call. I know TI used to make
>some, and the same with SGS, but that's a pretty short list...
>

>Paul H. Dietz                                        ____          ____
>Dept. of Electrical and Computer Engineering        / oo \        <_<\\\
>Carnegie Mellon University                        /|  \/  |\        \\ \\
>--------------------------------------------     | | (  ) | |       | ||\\

Some major manufacturers of SCRs and other power electronic devices:

Amperex Electronic Corp.
Powerex
Teccor Electronics Inc
AEG Telefunken, Inc
GE/RCA Solid State Div (used to have good app information)
Gentron Corp
International Rectifier (good app notes)
Motorola (not very large devices - good app notes)
--
Jayant Ragde        enjvr@dcatla.com or gatech!dcatla!enjvr
Digital Communications Assoc., Inc.     (404)442-4750 (off)