[sci.electronics] Early good-bye

max@trinity.uucp (Max Hauser) (06/04/88)

I don't know if anyone cares, but I will probably leave the usenet in
a little while in the course of taking up new duties next fall at
Cornell University, there to hold forth further on what oversampling is
-- and is not! -- useful for, and on how to design opaque little analog
circuits, and sundry other topics. It is not entirely clear that these
duties include pontificating on the usenet as part of my responsibility.

Nevertheless, if any reader seeks, say, formal training in digital
signal processing, integrated circuits, analog-digital conversion and the
like, he or she would do well to consider a jaunt at Cornell, now
"ramping up" in these disciplines.

Do not be surprised if you see an article or two in media of wider
circulation that cite the esteemed rec.audio and sci.electronics, or at
least touch on topics cherished there ...

It being something of a tradition on rec.audio, I will try to post some
parting materials from the past, as well as catching up on certain e-mail
requests whose slow reply by me my current, albeit less structured, duties
regrettably dictate.

Max Hauser / max@eros.berkeley.edu / ...{!decvax}!ucbvax!eros!max

"... Harvard, Yale, Princeton, and perhaps Cornell ..."

rwee@batcomputer.tn.cornell.edu (Raymond Wee) (06/06/88)

In article <3783@pasteur.Berkeley.Edu> max@eros.UUCP (Max Hauser) writes:
>I don't know if anyone cares, but I will probably leave the usenet in
>a little while in the course of taking up new duties next fall at
>Cornell University

   Relax, there's usenet access at Cornell too. When you get here, go to the
   Theory Center at Olin Hall and get yourself an account on the BATCOMPUTER
   and you'd be instantly back in circulation!

   Besides the BATCOMPUTER, there must be fifty million other computers for
   you to play with. So, don't fret you are not off to the black forest.

max@trinity.uucp (Max Hauser) (06/06/88)

In article <5052@batcomputer.tn.cornell.edu> rwee@tcgould.tn.cornell.edu (Raymond Wee) writes:

>   Relax, there's usenet access at Cornell too.

Thank you, I am already relaxed. Low blood pressure. But I wasn't
expressing concern about access to usenet -- that is if anything too easy
to come by, in my opinion. It was rather a question of whether the
continued vice is compatible with more-structured responsibilities.

Some firms that hire engineers now stipulate urine tests; I expect some
will eventually require usenet tests as well. Maybe a polygraph with
flash cards, something like that. ("Usenet: just say no!")

>   ... So, don't fret you are not off to the black forest.

As it happens I like the Black Forest, what's left of it (and my ancestors
are from there). Indeed, it was a factor in deciding to go to Cornell...

Max Hauser / max@eros.berkeley.edu / ...{!decvax}!ucbvax!eros!max

   "I am trying to recover an -- ah -- ornament that has been
   -- shall we say? -- mislaid. ... The ornament is a statuette,
   the black figure of a bird."