[sci.electronics] Barking Dog Revenge

rkarlqu@hpscdc.HP.COM (Rick Karlquist) (05/24/88)

The Post Office just announced it is going to issue ultrasonic dog
repellers to all mail carriers.  I suggest you buy one of those.
You can probably find out the vendor by asking your mail carrier.

anand@vax1.acs.udel.EDU (Anand Iyengar) (05/25/88)

In article <5770006@hpscdc.HP.COM> rkarlqu@hpscdc.HP.COM (Rick Karlquist) writes:
>The Post Office just announced it is going to issue ultrasonic dog
>repellers to all mail carriers.  I suggest you buy one of those.
>You can probably find out the vendor by asking your mail carrier.

	In an unrelated note, the american pit bull association has announced
it is sanctioning a new breed of deaf pit-bulls...

berger@clio.las.uiuc.edu (05/27/88)

This kind of thing can only escalate.  Generating the noise is likely
to make the dog bark that much more.  Have you considered calling the
police?

			Mike Berger
			Department of Statistics
			Science, Technology, and Society
			University of Illinois

			berger@clio.las.uiuc.edu
			{ihnp4 | convex | pur-ee}!uiucuxc!clio!berger

todd@uop.edu (Dr. Nethack) (05/27/88)

In article <5770006@hpscdc.HP.COM>, rkarlqu@hpscdc.HP.COM (Rick Karlquist) writes:
> The Post Office just announced it is going to issue ultrasonic dog
> repellers to all mail carriers.  I suggest you buy one of those.
> You can probably find out the vendor by asking your mail carrier.

Our downtown store has a couple of these little gadgetoids.

Herb's Surplus
820 E. Main St.
Stockton, Ca. 95205

If you want, and there is enough interest, I *could* be persuaded into
bringing one home and posting the manual or something.

           "Not all men are stupid, some are still single"
+ uop!todd@uunet.uu.net                                               +
+                 cogent!uop!todd@lll-winken.arpa                     +
+                                 {backbone}!ucbvax!ucdavis!uop!todd  +

In article <1351@udccvax1.acs.udel.EDU>, anand@vax1.acs.udel.EDU (Anand Iyengar) writes:
> In article <5770006@hpscdc.HP.COM> rkarlqu@hpscdc.HP.COM (Rick Karlquist) writes:
> >The Post Office just announced it is going to issue ultrasonic dog
> >repellers to all mail carriers.  I suggest you buy one of those.
> >You can probably find out the vendor by asking your mail carrier.
>
> 	In an unrelated note, the american pit bull association has announced
> it is sanctioning a new breed of deaf pit-bulls...

And with the laws against plastic guns, I suppose I will have to use
a Desert Eagle .44 automag with a 240 grain softnose hollowpoint bullet.

Poor dog will never hear what hits him.

;-)

todd@uop.edu (Dr. Nethack) (06/02/88)

In article <33600004@clio>, berger@clio.las.uiuc.edu writes:

> This kind of thing can only escalate.  Generating the noise is likely
> to make the dog bark that much more.  Have you considered calling the
> police?

> 			Mike Berger
> 			Department of Statistics

You of all people, should know that the dog will stop barking when the
police show up!  Did'nt you study "M" weighting?  ;-)

macleod@drivax.UUCP (06/04/88)

In article <1495@uop.edu: todd@uop.edu (Dr. Nethack) writes:
:In article <1351@udccvax1.acs.udel.EDU:, anand@vax1.acs.udel.EDU (Anand Iyengar) writes:
:: In article <5770006@hpscdc.HP.COM: rkarlqu@hpscdc.HP.COM (Rick Karlquist) writes:
:: :The Post Office just announced it is going to issue ultrasonic dog
:: :repellers to all mail carriers.  I suggest you buy one of those.
:: :You can probably find out the vendor by asking your mail carrier.
::
:
:And with the laws against plastic guns, I suppose I will have to use
:a Desert Eagle .44 automag with a 240 grain softnose hollowpoint bullet.

Use a Glaser Safety Slug.  Less chance of a ricochet, but people will
scratch their heads and wonder what it was that you shot.

tenney@well.UUCP (Glenn S. Tenney) (06/08/88)

The "barking dog problem" also applies to dog owners.  A dog
trainer told us of an anti-barking collar for those of us
that have a dog that barks too much.  This thing has a sensor
and then emits some shock.  Supposedly very effective.  I wish
I had something like that (not painful or dangerous, just
annoying I'm told).