[sci.electronics] ZZZZAAAAPPPP!!!

stu@hpficad.HP.COM (Stu Bell) (06/11/88)

>>I heard on the radio last night (at about 3 a.m.) that the navy was
>>going to do a test on EMP by causing a similar voltage effect out over
>>the ocean to see if a ship's communication systems would get zapped.
>>
>The navy is playing with the unknown.. How can they simulate the EMP caused
>by a nuclear explosion with out a nuclear explosion?

You get an aircraft carrier, see, and put carpet all over the landing deck.
Then serve a big dinner on deck, with Exlax slipped into the food.  Afterward
you have a big dance, so everybody scuffs their feet a lot and builds up a
humongous static charge.  When the Exlax takes effect, all 2000 of the crew
will reach for the same doorknob at the same time, giving off a huge EMP.

Mil STD EMP as per DOC 1492-4423-A.

Stu Bell
HP Colorado IC Division

	"Sleep machine?  Yeah, that's it in the corner there."

dale@amc-vlsi.UUCP (Dale Wlasitz) (06/14/88)

>>>I heard on the radio last night (at about 3 a.m.) that the navy was
>>>going to do a test on EMP by causing a similar voltage effect out over
>>>the ocean to see if a ship's communication systems would get zapped.
>>>
>>The navy is playing with the unknown.. How can they simulate the EMP caused
>>by a nuclear explosion with out a nuclear explosion?

I am curious about the effects of EMP on electronic systems in
general. What can be done to minimize damage to electronic circuitry?
What components/subsystems etc. are most susceptable (sp?) to EMP.
What are typical pulse durations and peak amplitudes? Obviously smaller
scale lab experiments have been conducted. What are the effects on
us humans in the same vicinity as the damaged electronics?

just curious,

Dale

disclaimer: contents may settle during shipping

wolfgang@mgm.mit.edu (Wolfgang Rupprecht) (06/16/88)

In article <517@amc-vlsi.UUCP> dale@amc-vlsi.UUCP (Dale Wlasitz) writes:
>I am curious about the effects of EMP on electronic systems in
>general. What can be done to minimize damage to electronic circuitry?
>What components/subsystems etc. are most susceptable (sp?) to EMP.
>What are typical pulse durations and peak amplitudes? Obviously smaller
>scale lab experiments have been conducted. What are the effects on
>us humans in the same vicinity as the damaged electronics?

Well, I guess this posting can be a test of sorts.  Lets see if our
friends at tycho.ARPA are still on usenet...

This information comes from "Compliance Engineering 1988" Wellesley
Press, Framingham Ma. pages 316-322.

The peak voltage of a "typical" (???) EMP wave is 50kV/m with a rise
time of ~10 nS (10-8 S) and a fall time of ~1 mS (10-6).  The total
energy received is only about 0.6 J/m**2.  The electric field strength
remains fairly constant in the 10khz to 1Mhz band.  It decreases by a
factor of 100:1 in the 1Mhz to 100Mhz band.  It continues to decrease
faster for frequencies greater than 100Mhz.  Most of the energy is
between 100khz and 10Mhz.  99% of the energy is below 100Mhz.

Obviously you can shield from this is by 1) having a fairly high
integrity ground/shielding system 2) use low-pass filtering 3) use
diode clamps to +/- power supplies and user MOV's to clamp those
supplies themselves.

The EMP simulator mentioned in this article uses HV capacitors
discharged through spark gaps. (This is probably only good for a small
zap.)

Some references from the same article:

Bodson, D., "Electromagnetic Pulse and the Radio Amateur," QST August
1986 pg. 15.

Elgal Corp., "Systems for EMP Simulation and RFI Material Testing,"
published by AR, 160 School House Road, Souderton, PA 18964-9990

Goldstein, C. and Tehori A., "A Small Parallel Plate System for EMP
Simulation".   IEEE EMC Symposium 1987 pg. 135

--
Wolfgang Rupprecht	ARPA:  wolfgang@mgm.mit.edu (IP 18.82.0.114)
TEL: (617) 267-4365	UUCP:  mit-eddie!mgm.mit.edu!wolfgang