[sci.electronics] Power Transformer Needed

bmaraldo@watmath.waterloo.edu (Commander Brett Maraldo) (06/19/88)

  I need a high voltage power transformer with these characteristics:

	Primary: 115VAC		Secondary: ~1300 VAC, 10mA

  It is for a He/Ne laser power supply.  The transformer I was using developed
a short in the primary (it was a Spectra-Physics 417-701-E 114-P-51D 23952).
Spectra Physics claims that that is an old number and don't seem to be too
co-operative; Hammond manufacturing claims they do not have a transformer
such as I require (they do have a 1250VAC, 200mA, but I am uninterested in
killing cows).  Please help.

					Brett L Maraldo

--
               --------     Unit 36 Research     ---------
	                "Alien Technology Today"

--
               --------     Unit 36 Research     ---------
	                "Alien Technology Today"

brad_bhare_hare@cup.portal.com (06/21/88)

       Just about any transformer in the 1200 - 1500 volt range should
work  as long as the current rating is correct.
Going to Hammond sounds a little expensive, and maybe a little
slow.  There is a good surplus company in Lima, Ohio called Fair Radio
Sales.  THey have a very large inventory of xfmrs at dirt cheap prices.
I'm afraid my catalog is out on an extreme long term loan (never to be
seen again), but you could try any one of the amateur radio magazines
for an address and a phone number.

regards,

Brad Hare
sys. eng.
Spectra Physics

P.S.
      If you need any further (unofficial) help email me at the above
addr.  I am with the Infrared Diode Laser division (Laser Analytics)
but  I have had some experience with the other product lines from my
academic days.
I am limited to information of a non- proprietary nature, but that should still
cover a few problems.

berger@clio.las.uiuc.edu (06/22/88)

You can get modular laser supplies from Hughes and NEC.  You might find the
prices cheap enough that it doesn't pay to just replace the transformer.
How many milliwatts is your laser tube?  I might be able to point you to
something suitable on the surplus market.

			Mike Berger
			Department of Statistics
			Science, Technology, and Society
			University of Illinois

			berger@clio.las.uiuc.edu
			{ihnp4 | convex | pur-ee}!uiucuxc!clio!berger

rjd@occrsh.ATT.COM (06/22/88)

::  I need a high voltage power transformer with these characteristics:
::
::	Primary: 115VAC		Secondary: ~1300 VAC, 10mA
::
::  It is for a He/Ne laser power supply.  The transformer I was using developed
::a short in the primary (it was a Spectra-Physics 417-701-E 114-P-51D 23952).
::Spectra Physics claims that that is an old number and don't seem to be too
::co-operative; Hammond manufacturing claims they do not have a transformer
::such as I require (they do have a 1250VAC, 200mA, but I am uninterested in
::killing cows).  Please help.
::
::					Brett L Maraldo

  Am I missing something, or does your statement, "I am uninterested in killing
cows" mean that you are assuming that the Hammond transformer will *always*
put out 200 mA, no matter what the load is?  It won't.  So buy it and only
draw 10 mA, it will most certainly be able to supply your 10 mA with a
comfortable safety margin.  Of course, if the 1250 VAC is too low for your ~1300
VAC requirements, then you do have a reason to not get it....

Randy

gene@cooper.cooper.EDU (Gene (the Spook) ) (06/22/88)

in article <19550@watmath.waterloo.edu>, bmaraldo@watmath.waterloo.edu (Commander Brett Maraldo) says:

>   I need a high voltage power transformer with these characteristics:
>
> 	Primary: 115VAC		Secondary: ~1300 VAC, 10mA
>
>   It is for a He/Ne laser power supply.  The transformer I was using developed
> a short in the primary (it was a Spectra-Physics 417-701-E 114-P-51D 23952).
> Spectra Physics claims that that is an old number and don't seem to be too
> co-operative; Hammond manufacturing claims they do not have a transformer
> such as I require (they do have a 1250VAC, 200mA, but I am uninterested in
> killing cows).  Please help.
>
> 					Brett L Maraldo

I might suggest making your own transformer. There are plenty of
forms available from different manufacturers, and by custom-winding
your own, you can play with both output voltage and current.

If you want some more info on "how-to" or on some of the projects
I've done, just email me and let me know. I'll be glad to help.
(By the way, I don't come in to read the news often, so please
email me a note instead of posting. I have no problems receiving
mail (as far as I know), but a lot of my outgoing mail gets bounced
back to me.)

					Spookfully yours,
					Gene

					...!ihnp4!philabs!phri!cooper!gene

	"If you think I'll sit around as the world goes by,
	 You're thinkin' like a fool 'cause it's case of do or die.
	 Out there is a fortune waitin' to be had.
	 You think I'll let it go? You're mad!
	 You got another thing comin'!"

			- Robert John Aurthur Halford

bmaraldo@watmath.waterloo.edu (Commander Brett Maraldo) (06/24/88)

In article <131500003@occrsh.ATT.COM> rjd@occrsh.ATT.COM writes:
>::  I need a high voltage power transformer with these characteristics:
>::
>::	Primary: 115VAC		Secondary: ~1300 VAC, 10mA
>  Am I missing something, or does your statement, "I am uninterested in killing
>cows" mean that you are assuming that the Hammond transformer will *always*
>put out 200 mA, no matter what the load is?  It won't.  So buy it and only

   If you think about what is required of a transformer, in terms of physical
size, to supply 1250VAC at 200mA, you will soon realize that such a transformer
has to big (*AND*, I only need 1/20 the power that particular transformer).
   Over-designing is a characterisitic that , in general, increases size and
weight.  For instance:  A friend of mine designed a 5V 300amp DC switcher that
(excluding heat sinks) is about 25cm/10cm/7cm - truely a *small* package for
such a device.  His design is optimal and will award him a patent.  Too often
I see designs that could be reduced in size and weight if the concept of
volume and space were respected.

					Brett L Maraldo

--
               --------     Unit 36 Research     ---------
	                "Alien Technology Today"

aboulang@bbn.com (Albert Boulanger) (06/25/88)

  Gene <1342@cooper.cooper.EDU> says:

  I might suggest making your own transformer. There are plenty of
  forms available from different manufacturers, and by custom-winding
  your own, you can play with both output voltage and current.

You don't really have to do that. There are plenty of transformers
available on the surplus market including ones in this voltage range.
For instance, I bought my voltage tripler supply as a kit from Halted
Specialties in Sunnyvale and the transformer from H&R. (It was ~2500
V XFMR so I used a variac to supply the XFMR) You just have
to know enough of the surplus companies! Maybe I'll make a list of
companies when I get time someday.

Albert Boulanger
aboulanger@bbn.com

Albert Boulanger
BBN Labs Inc.
ABoulanger@bbn.com (arpa)
Phone: (617)873-3891

al@cs.strath.ac.uk (Alan Lorimer) (06/27/88)

In article <1342@cooper.cooper.EDU> gene@cooper.cooper.EDU (Gene (the Spook) ) writes:
>in article <19550@watmath.waterloo.edu>, bmaraldo@watmath.waterloo.edu (Commander Brett Maraldo) says:
>>

>>   I need a high voltage power transformer with these characteristics:
>>
>> 	Primary: 115VAC		Secondary: ~1300 VAC, 10mA
>>
>>   It is for a He/Ne laser power supply.  The transformer I was using developed

Why not use a voltage multiplier - it would be a bit safer than simply
transforming up the mains, since then you don't need to worry too much
about the insulation in the transformer being good. Maplin Electronic
supplies do a laser power supply PCB for about #5.00 (yes I realise
you're U.S. based but if needs must.....), and in any case voltage
multiplier PCBs are easy to design anyway. The cost of this is likely to
be a bit less too, since all you need is a cheap isolating transformer,
plus a pile of diodes and capacitors.

If you need to know more, or want Maplin's Address/Telephone number,
email me.

Hope this is of interest

Alan.
--