[sci.electronics] CD oversampling

gil@limbic.UUCP (Gil Kloepfer Jr.) (07/01/88)

In article <4140@pasteur.Berkeley.Edu> max@trinity.UUCP (Max Hauser) writes:
|>(The original WOM data sheet was nearer twenty "April firsts ago"
|>and therefore antedates some readers of this message!  Intel may,
|>of course, have copied it since.  Old farts take note: who remembers
|>the part number?)
|>Max Hauser / max@eros.berkeley.edu / ...{!decvax}!ucbvax!eros!max

It was the Signetics 25120, fully-encoded 9046 x N, Random Access
Write-only-memory.

I first saw this in an old April, 1973 edition of _Radio_Electronics_
magazine in the New Products section.  At the time, I was young and naive
and thought it was a real chip #-) !!

My photocopy of the data sheet is pretty bad, but it seems that the
copyright date is 1972.

I am cross-posting this to sci.electronics and directing followups to that
group since I'm sure that others have fun things to add to this (see also,
EDN, April 3, 1986, "Single-board nuclear reactor supplies power for
12 years".

+------------------------------------+----------------------------------------+
| Gil Kloepfer, Jr.                  | Net-Address:                           |
| ICUS Software Systems              | {boulder,talcott}!icus!limbic!gil      |
| P.O. Box 1                         | Voice-net: (516) 968-6860              |
| Islip Terrace, New York  11752     | Othernet: gil@limbic.UUCP              |
+------------------------------------+----------------------------------------+

straka@ihlpf.ATT.COM (Straka) (07/06/88)

In article <151@limbic.UUCP> gil@limbic.UUCP (Gil Kloepfer Jr.) writes:
>In article <4140@pasteur.Berkeley.Edu> max@trinity.UUCP (Max Hauser) writes:
>|>(The original WOM data sheet was nearer twenty "April firsts ago"
>It was the Signetics 25120, fully-encoded 9046 x N, Random Access
>Write-only-memory.
>
>My photocopy of the data sheet is pretty bad, but it seems that the
>copyright date is 1972.

The original copyright was 1973.

What I consider to be some gems:

Vff (for the filaments, of course), plus the neat graph of Iff vs. Vff

_____________
Chip Destruct

The drain (sight gag)

First-in, Never-out (FINO) asynchronous buffers

Chart of pins remaining vs. socket insertions

An EDN letter to the editor in the late 70's gave an instruction set for a
Tektronix WOM tester.  Among them were:

RIRG	Read Inter-Record Gap
SPSW	Scramble Program Status Word
MLR	Move and Lose Record
CRN	Convert to Roman Numerals
EIP	Execute Programmer Immediate    (a real gem for the assembly
					 programmer types)
LCC	Load and Clear Core
HCF	Halt and Catch Fire		(my favorite)
EIOC	Execute Invalid Op Code
SRSD	Seek Record and Scar Disc
--
Rich Straka     ihnp4!ihlpf!straka

Avoid BrainDamage: MSDOS - just say no!

mike@rbdc.UUCP (Mike steel) (07/08/88)

I am looking for a good CD player in the $200 price range.  From what I've heard and read Magnavox makes one of the best in this $$$ catagory.  I don't trust JVC or Sharp because friends have had problems with their respective CD players.  Can anyone give me some advice on what CD player YOU like or what you've read?

Thanks in advance.         NETOPRMS at NCSUVM.BITNET

rmf@actnyc.UUCP (Robert M. Fuhrer) (07/12/88)

In article <541@rbdc.UUCP> mike@rbdc.UUCP (Mike steel) writes:

> I am looking for a good CD player in the $200 price range.  From what I've
> heard and read Magnavox makes one of the best in this $$$ catagory.  I don't
> trust JVC or Sharp because friends have had problems with their respective CD

Well, I decided at one point to buy a JVC rack system for an inexpensive ($1k)
2nd stereo to beat on (I use my stereo often as much as 7 hours per day to
practice bass/drums against), which included a CD player.  The sound quality
is pretty good, although not incredible, but hey, what do you expect?  The cost
was around what you're talking about, and I haven't had a moment's trouble
with it.  Of course I don't abuse it physically, I just use it alot...
--
The Foundation for Unmitigated Sillyness		uunet!actnyc!rmf
Department of Redundancy Department