[sci.electronics] BSR X10 bridging?

gnome@olivey.olivetti.com (Gary) (07/17/88)

I just tried installing a bunch of X-10 modules and
find that they don't seem to talk across from one
phase to another.  I mean that the modules on one phase
of power wiring will not respond to controllers on the
other phase.

Has anyone out there had this happen and how did you
overcome it?
How do these beasties propegate their signals?  It
has to be prop'ed down the pair because there is no
ground connection...

Gary
(hplabs,sun,ames)oliveb!oliven!gnome
<PS- I think the ATT's dropping thru-traffic sucks!>

jdg@ncrcae.Columbia.NCR.COM (Jim Griggers) (07/19/88)

In article <25559@oliveb.olivetti.com> gnome@olivey.olivetti.com (Gary) writes:
>I just tried installing a bunch of X-10 modules and
>find that they don't seem to talk across from one
>phase to another.  I mean that the modules on one phase
>of power wiring will not respond to controllers on the
>other phase.
>
>Has anyone out there had this happen and how did you
>overcome it?
>
>Gary

I installed a 0.1 uF 270VAC capacitor in series with a 1/4 A fast blow
fuse across the hot wires leading to my clothes dryer.  The whole assembly
was well insulated with heat shrink tubing and was installed in
the main breaker panel.  Be sure, however, to turn off the power in the
panel and stay clear of the incomming lines.  If you are not sure about
opening up your breaker panel, get an electrician to do the job.  Needless
to say,  VOLTAGES INSIDE THIS PANEL ARE LETHAL AND SHOULD BE TREATED WITH
RESPECT.

With this addition, I have had no problems transmitting to all modules.

-Jim Griggers
 jdg@ncrcae.Columbia.NCR.COM

syd@dsinc.UUCP (Syd Weinstein) (07/20/88)

In article <25559@oliveb.olivetti.com> gnome@olivey.olivetti.com (Gary) writes:
>I just tried installing a bunch of X-10 modules and
>find that they don't seem to talk across from one
>phase to another.  I mean that the modules on one phase
>of power wiring will not respond to controllers on the
>other phase.

The x10's insert their carrier on top of the AC.
The depend on the transformer being close and not very big to get
the signals to cross phases.  However, as X10 customer assistance
will be glad to tell you, you can do the same thing by bridging
the phases with a capacitor.  Remember that you are dealing with
PP voltages not the RMS's, so use 400V caps, not 250V ones, but
then all you need is a 2uf cap and it will work fine.
Bridge hot to hot with the cap, and do it down side of a circuit breaker
just in case of failures.
I piggybacked mine on a breaker we use for the cloths dryer.
Sydney S. Weinstein, CDP, CCP
Datacomp Systems, Inc.				Voice: (215) 947-9900
{allegra,bellcore,bpa,vu-vlsi}!dsinc!syd	FAX:   (215) 938-0235

daves@hpcilzb.HP.COM (Dave Scroggins) (07/21/88)

Gary,

>I just tried installing a bunch of X-10 modules and
>find that they don't seem to talk across from one
>phase to another.  I mean that the modules on one phase
>of power wiring will not respond to controllers on the
>other phase.
>
>Has anyone out there had this happen and how did you
>overcome it?

Leviton sells a box to solve just this problem.

They sell all kinds of neat X-10 compatible things at
high prices, including amplifiers, and bridge.

Drop me some E-mail and I will forward any info to interested
parties.

X-10 can also provide the info. (that's where I got it.)

Hope this helps,

Dave S.