[sci.electronics] Lightning rods. Was: Protecting com

william@pyr1.cs.ucl.ac.uk (07/22/88)

The lightning conductor should prevent a strike.  If it doesn't, then
the conduction path is a last-ditch protection.

I think it works like this:  We have a pretty enormous charge on the
ground/building relative to the cloud.  The conductor is pointed at the
top so the electric field projects WAY up into the cloud.  As the charges
in the cloud are generated (displaced) by the movement of fast air currents,
they are immediately discharged to the pole.  This means that you get a
constant current flowing which is enough to keep the area within striking
distance below the breakdown potential.

Calculations:  Suppose the area of cloud over a building generates enough
charge to cause a strike every 30s, and a strike lasts, dunno, say 0.1s,
then the current flowing would be 1/300 of a lightning strike, and this
assumes a TOTAL discharge.  I suspect that you also get a kind of insulation
effect because there will be an accumulation of cloud charge near the
pole, so other cloud charges may be repelled from that locale.  (That bit's
all guessing!)

If this were not the case, then lightning conductors would not stick into
the air, because this positively encourages a local discharge. A church,
forinstance, would have a metal plate, as unpointed as possible, on its
spire, so as to discourage discharge but still provide a path to ground.

			... Bill

Bill Witts, CS Dept.     *
UCL, London, Errrp       *       Don't believe everything you hear,
william@uk.ac.ucl.cs(UK) *       or anything you say.
william@cs.ucl.ac.uk(US) ***********************************************

adrian@cs.hw.ac.uk (Adrian Hurt) (07/25/88)

In article <44000015@pyr1.cs.ucl.ac.uk>, william@pyr1.cs.ucl.ac.uk writes:

> I think it works like this:  We have a pretty enormous charge on the
> If this were not the case, then lightning conductors would not stick into
> the air, because this positively encourages a local discharge. A church,
> forinstance, would have a metal plate, as unpointed as possible, on its
> spire, so as to discourage discharge but still provide a path to ground.

Ever seen a church with a copper roof?

When I was on holiday in Germany, I noticed that the church tower clock had
stopped. I found out from the people I was staying with what had happened.

The church had recently had its roof repaired, and covered with copper. Within
a few days, there was a thunderstorm, and of course it got hit, clobbering the
clock. The same storm also wiped out the local power supply for a short while;
I was told someone opened their fridge door and nearly got fried. The locals
blamed the power failure on the new copper roof.

--
 "Keyboard? How quaint!" - M. Scott

 Adrian Hurt			     |	JANET:  adrian@uk.ac.hw.cs
 UUCP: ..!ukc!cs.hw.ac.uk!adrian     |  ARPA:   adrian@cs.hw.ac.uk

In article <44000015@pyr1.cs.ucl.ac.uk> william@pyr1.cs.ucl.ac.uk writes:
>If this were not the case, then lightning conductors would not stick into
>the air, because this positively encourages a local discharge. A church,
>forinstance, would have a metal plate, as unpointed as possible, on its
>spire, so as to discourage discharge but still provide a path to ground.

Ah, but if you do get a local discharge, you want to be very sure it goes
into the rod, not the building frame.  So there is still a reason for
trying to make the rod conspicuous to the lightning.
--
MSDOS is not dead, it just     |     Henry Spencer at U of Toronto Zoology
smells that way.               | uunet!mnetor!utzoo!henry henry@zoo.toronto.edu