[sci.electronics] Constant Breadth Manhole

tmk@io.ATT.COM (59481[rjb]-t.m.ko) (07/21/88)

In article <892@wucs2.UUCP> jps@wucs2.UUCP (James Sterbenz) writes:
>In article <1550@tekirl.TEK.COM> jackg@tekirl.TEK.COM (Jack Gjovaag) writes:
>>In article <303@btree.uucp> rfarris@btree.UCSD.EDU (rick farris) writes:

>>>Yes, and why the heck are manholes round?

>>Round is the only shape for the cover that guarantees that the cover can't
>>fall into the hole.  What do I win?
>
>Nothing.  I suspect that any regular polygon with an ODD number of sides
>couldn't fall into the hole.  Think about trying to rotate a triangle or
>pentagon to fit!  A circular cover is just easier to manufacture
>(kinda like a polygon with an infinite number of sides :-).
>
>--

Regular polygon with an ODD number of sides can also fall into the hole
unless the ledge is wide enough.
Consider a regular pentagon ABCDE. Denote midpoint of CD to be M.
Note that AM is less than AC or BD, etc.

However circle is *NOT* the only shape that can't fall into the hole.
Any shape with a constant breadth (i.e. constant width when measuring in
any direction) will do the job.
Circle is an example of a constant breadth figure.
Another example is as follows:

Construct an equilateral triangle ABC. Draw arc AB with center C.
Draw arc BC with center A. Draw arc AC with center B.
The resulting figure bounded by the 3 arcs is a constant breadth figure.

In addition, such a triangular constant breadth cover can be painted yellow
to indicate the traffic direction or the flow direction of whatever
underneath. (Note: an "equilateral triangular cover" is being used
for this purpose in some places)
Also, the triangular constant breadth shape fits human better than a circle.

Do I win the "Best Manhole Design" award?

Tsz-Mei Ko
ARPA:	bentley!tmk@att.ARPA			AT&T Bell Labs
UUCP:	tmk@bentley.UUCP			LC 3S-D20
						184 Liberty Corner Road
{att-ih,decwrl,amdahl,linus}!ihnp4!bentley!tmk	Warren, NJ 07060-0908

rsd@sei.cmu.edu (Richard S D'Ippolito) (07/22/88)

In article <745@io.ATT.COM> >Tsz-Mei Ko asks:

	Do I win the "Best Manhole Design" award?

Nope! The woman's libbers (and real men) on the committee will never accept
the name of the thing.

Rich

doug@ninja.UUCP (Doug Davis) (07/25/88)

>In article <6334@aw.sei.cmu.edu> rsd@ae.sei.cmu.edu.UUCP (Rich D'Ippolito) writes:
>>In article <745@io.ATT.COM> >Tsz-Mei Ko asks:
>>
>>	Do I win the "Best Manhole Design" award?
>>
>>Nope! The woman's libbers (and real men) on the committee will never accept
>>the name of the thing.
Nonsense. Rich, you must be reading to much news.admin (1/2) ;-)

patch@nscpdc.NSC.COM (Pat Chewning) (07/26/88)

In article <745@io.ATT.COM>, tmk@io.ATT.COM (59481[rjb]-t.m.ko) writes:

> Construct an equilateral triangle ABC. Draw arc AB with center C.
> Draw arc BC with center A. Draw arc AC with center B.
> The resulting figure bounded by the 3 arcs is a constant breadth figure.

I created the three arcs as desribed,  I GOT A CIRCLE!
If there is something I am missing, please let me know.

					Pat Chewning
					NSC Portland Development Center
					15201 NW Greenbriar Pkwy
					Beaverton, OR 97006

g-rh@cca.CCA.COM (Richard Harter) (07/26/88)

In article <1211@nscpdc.NSC.COM> patch@nscpdc.NSC.COM (Pat Chewning) writes:
>In article <745@io.ATT.COM>, tmk@io.ATT.COM (59481[rjb]-t.m.ko) writes:

>> Construct an equilateral triangle ABC. Draw arc AB with center C.
>> Draw arc BC with center A. Draw arc AC with center B.
>> The resulting figure bounded by the 3 arcs is a constant breadth figure.

>I created the three arcs as desribed,  I GOT A CIRCLE!
>If there is something I am missing, please let me know.

What you are missing is a good compass (protractor).  If that is not your
problem, reflect on the fact that circles do not generally come with
three centers and do the following:

Find the midpoint of the equilaterial triangle.  Call it O.  Draw a
circle with center O through A, B, and C.  Compare this with the figure
previously drawn.

Are the graves of dreams allowed to die.
	Richard Harter, SMDS  Inc.