[sci.electronics] x-10 3-way wall switches

SPGDCM@CMSA.BERKELEY.EDU (07/21/88)

 MSG:FROM: SPGDCM  --UCBCMSA  TO: NETWORK --NETWORK           07/20/88 14:23:32
 To: NETWORK --NETWORK  Network Address

 From: Doug Mosher
 Subject: x-10 3-way wall switches

 To: misc-consumers@ucbvax sci-electronics@ucbvax

 A reader asks about whether one can get 3-way wall switches for the BSR X-10
 remote control system.

 Yes, there is a 3-way switch module available in the regular set of
 components, though it's less widely sold. I haven't seen it at Radio Shack or
 Whole Earth, but it appears regularly in the Heathkit mail-order catalog and
 may be available in Heathkit stores.

 It consists of a wall switch module similar to the regular one, but with 3
 wires; and a remote matching wall switch for the other end (of the stairway,
 etc.) One can turn the circuit on and off interchangeably from either switch
 or any remote controller; and dim/bright from any remote.

 Costs about $22-25 for each set of two.

 (                                                            )
 (          Doug Mosher <SPGDCM@CMSA.Berkeley.edu>            )
 (                      ...!ucbvax!cmsa!spgdcm                )
 ( 257 Evans, Univ. of California, Berkeley, CA, 415/642-5823 )
      x-10 3-way wall switches

malcolm@Apple.COM (Malcolm Slaney) (07/27/88)

SPGDCM@CMSA.BERKELEY.EDU writes:

> From: Doug Mosher
> Subject: x-10 3-way wall switches
>
> A reader asks about whether one can get 3-way wall switches for the BSR X-10
> remote control system.

Perhaps I am missing something....but what good is an X-10 3-way switch?
The only use I have seen for three way switches is to allow you to turn a
light on and off from a couple of locations.  But that is easy for an X-10
module since any number of devices can put a command on the line to turn off
any device in the network.

I've got the Leviton Enginerring manual and it shows the three way X-10
with connections just like a regular three way switch.  How are people using
this beast????

Probably missing the obvious.....

						Malcolm
						malcolm@apple.com