[sci.electronics] Finding Pipes

chris@mimsy.UUCP (Chris Torek) (07/30/88)

In article <1612@uop.edu> todd@uop.edu ( Dr. Nethack ) writes:
>If I had a dollar for every set of plans that was supposed to be followed,
>that was not followed..(that I had to fix).. I could have made almost as
>much as what I was making per hour!!

Ah, but you need to use the right set of plans: not the original `planned'
plans, but the current `this is the way it really is' plans, which are
probably only half as out of date.

In any case, I was partly kidding (the description was `old pipes',
and old enough pipes tend not to be on the plans, if there are plans
at all!...).

On a more serious note: people put pipes where it makes the most sense
to put them.  Since you probably have at least a very similar idea about
what makes sense, you probably have a good idea where the pipes were
put in the first place.  You may not know that you know it, of course.

jbn@glacier.STANFORD.EDU (John B. Nagle) (07/31/88)

In article <12744@mimsy.UUCP> chris@mimsy.UUCP (Chris Torek) writes:
>On a more serious note: people put pipes where it makes the most sense
>to put them.  Since you probably have at least a very similar idea about
>what makes sense, you probably have a good idea where the pipes were
>put in the first place.  You may not know that you know it, of course.

      And this is why dowsing sometimes works.  Tests have established that
dowsers who can find utility pipes can't find pipes deliberately buried at
random locations for test purposes.  See "Flim-Flam", by Randi Zwinge.

					John Nagle