[sci.electronics] Dolby HX Pro and Nakamichi

phil@amdcad.AMD.COM (Phil Ngai) (08/02/88)

I was at a stereo store that I used to trust (but don't really any
more) and asked whether Nakamichi made any tape decks that use Dolby
HX Pro.  The response was they don't because they have special heads
that don't need it.

According to my understanding of Dolby HX Pro, that's a bunch of cow
patties. Would anyone else who knows what HX is care to comment?

(I'm deliberately withholding a description of HX because if you don't
know what it is, you probably don't know the answer to this question.)

--

I speak for myself, not the company.
Phil Ngai, {ucbvax,decwrl,allegra}!amdcad!phil or phil@amd.com

uchuck@ecsvax.uncecs.edu (Charles Bennett) (08/03/88)

I'm sure Nak. could use HX-PRO if they could get their machines to
work at all.  Sorry about that, I tried to buy a Nak. a few years
ago and every one the salesman brought out refused to work.

HX-PRO is in my opinion one of the great advances in cassette recording
to come out since the original Dolby B.  By reducing the bias during
passages with a lot of high frequency content one keeps from saturating
the tape, avoiding distortion and compression.  I don't believe the
type of head in the machine can do what HX-PRO is designed to accomplish
or produce the results that HX-PRO does.  Tapes made without HX-PRO
seem dull and without presence in comparison.

However; it is just an opinion.
--
                   -Chuck Bennett-  UNC - Chapel Hill
                    919-966-1134

ginsberg@lbl-csam.arpa (Kylo Ginsberg [csr]) (08/03/88)

In article <22517@amdcad.AMD.COM> phil@amdcad.AMD.COM (Phil Ngai) writes:

>(I'm deliberately withholding a description of HX because if you don't
>know what it is, you probably don't know the answer to this question.)

I always say, keep the masses ignorant and you'll get hassled less.

>I speak for myself, not the company.

Good.  I've heard good things about AMD.

>Phil Ngai, {ucbvax,decwrl,allegra}!amdcad!phil or phil@amd.com

Kylo Ginsberg

PS Sorry to be so snide, but I think this kind of attitude is really
obnoxious.  It would be nice if the net were a safe place to post ...

mike@ntmtka.Ntmtka.MN.ORG (Mike Tietel) (08/05/88)

In article <22517@amdcad.AMD.COM>, phil@amdcad.AMD.COM (Phil Ngai) writes:

> I was at a stereo store that I used to trust (but don't really any
> more) and asked whether Nakamichi made any tape decks that use Dolby
> HX Pro.  The response was they don't because they have special heads
> that don't need it.

According to Nak's literature for 1988, they have NO consumer or pro
decks that have HX Pro.  Nak does manufacture their own heads, however
they have several different head designs and materials.  If you really
want to find out why Nak doesn't use HX Pro, call or write them, they
are generally a very helpful bunch.

mike tietel
--
mike@ntmtka.mn.org