[sci.electronics] PAL <==< NTSC converters

pavelz@tekigm2.TEK.COM (Pavel R. Zivny) (07/29/88)

In article <627@neptune.AMD.COM< zahid@neptune.AMD.COM (Zahid Ahsanullah) writes:
<
<You can buy three system vcr's and tv's and SONY for one makes em.
<The three systems are namely PAL, SECAM, and NTSC and to view programs
<recorded in any one of these, both the tv and the vcr have to be in the
<same mode. My mom has one of these babies which she bought in Europe nad
<it works like a charm. The VCR cost $500, the tv around the same.
<..... Wish I could tell you where to buy these equipment in this country.
<				regards
<				Zahid

	I'd think that a SONY service center would tell you.

	Pavel

stone@bunker.UUCP (Mike Stone ) (07/30/88)

In article <3280@tekigm2.TEK.COM> pavelz@tekigm2.UUCP (Pavel R. Zivny) writes:
<In article <627@neptune.AMD.COM< zahid@neptune.AMD.COM (Zahid Ahsanullah) writes:
<<
<<You can buy three system vcr's and tv's and SONY for one makes em.
<<The three systems are namely PAL, SECAM, and NTSC and to view programs
<<recorded in any one of these, both the tv and the vcr have to be in the
<<same mode. My mom has one of these babies which she bought in Europe nad
<<it works like a charm. The VCR cost $500, the tv around the same.
<<..... Wish I could tell you where to buy these equipment in this country.
<<				regards
<<				Zahid
<
<	I'd think that a SONY service center would tell you.
<
<	Pavel

	I wish that were true, Pavel, but I'm afraid they usually (at
least from my experience) have no knowledge of products that are not made
for this country.  Most multi-system equipment is made for the
European or Middle East markets (most have PAL and/or SECAM tuners and
only NTSC playback).  One must remember that most people in this
country have no idea that PAL or SECAM exists (in fact, many have
no idea that other countries exist :-)) so the market for multi-
system products is limited, in addition to the fact that our neighbors
both have NTSC.  There are several outlets in NY, although I can't name
any off the top of my head.
	BTW, Zahid, I'd like to know the maker of the VCR and TV that
your mother paid about $1000 for.  You can hardly buy good NTSC
equipment for that price here, much less multi-system.  And prices in
Europe (in $) are generally a bit higher than here!

-- Don Miguel de la Piedra

ananth@caen.engin.umich.edu (Ananth Annapragada) (08/01/88)

I have been following this discussion for a couple of days, and didnt
post a followup because I figured someone else would have thought about
this already....
India is one of the countries that follows the PAL/SECAM systems, and
Indian stores in any major city will stock multi-system VCR's. I've
seen them in Chicago and Detroit. I am sure New York has them too.
I wish I could remember the names of the streets on which the
Indian stores in Chicago are, but I cant. The stores in the
Detroit area are on Ford Road in Garden City. I am sure some
Indian on the net will be able to tell you the locations of the
Indian stores in other cities.
I did price the systems once, they are around $900-1000.

jackm@jpl-devvax.JPL.NASA.GOV (Jack Morrison) (08/01/88)

In article <...> (...) writes:
	[nesting overflow deleted...]
><<You can buy three system vcr's and tv's and SONY for one makes em.
><<The three systems are namely PAL, SECAM, and NTSC and to view programs
><<recorded in any one of these, both the tv and the vcr have to be in the
><<same mode. My mom has one of these babies which she bought in Europe nad
><<it works like a charm. The VCR cost $500, the tv around the same.
><<..... Wish I could tell you where to buy these equipment in this country.

July 88 Video Manager, page 20, has an ad for the "Image Translator" VCR
from Instant Reply, 2951 S. Bayshore Dr., Miami FL (305)448-7088.

"It includes...special effects...VHS HiFi...lets you play or record in
all 16 World Standards anywhere in the world on most TV sets or monitors;
PAL, SECAM, and NTSC.... Exhibiting at CES-summer Chicago show."

Hope this helps. I know nothing about it 'cept what I read in this ad.
--
Jack C. Morrison, Jet Propulsion Laboratory
"How am I typing? Call 1-818-354-1431, or mail jackm@jpl-devvax.jpl.nasa.gov"

zahid@neptune.AMD.COM (Zahid Ahsanullah) (08/06/88)

In article <3871@bunker.UUCP> stone@bunker.UUCP (Mike Stone (Dallas)) writes:

>	BTW, Zahid, I'd like to know the maker of the VCR and TV that
>your mother paid about $1000 for.  You can hardly buy good NTSC
>equipment for that price here, much less multi-system.  And prices in
>Europe (in $) are generally a bit higher than here!
>
>-- Don Miguel de la Piedra

Sorry guy, I made a mistake. The vcr was bought at Dubai international
airport for $430 dollars and it's a Panasonic 4-system as it is called.
The four systems are ntsc1, ntsc2, pal, and secam. There are vcr's that
also decode the obscure NIR system the russians use but I've never seen
one. The tv is a Sony 3/system Trinitron brought for just about $500
in London. I'll see if I can get the model numbers for you.

					best wishes
					  Zahid

BTW Sony also makes three system vcr's but I can't remember what they
call these. A good guess would be 3/system as in their tv's.