[sci.electronics] ??: computer-controlled engines

commgrp@silver.bacs.indiana.edu (08/04/88)

also posted on rec.autos.tech:

What experiences have people had with car engines controlled by
digital computers?  Are they a mature technology, or are they like
color television in the 1950's?  Most car problems are electrical in
nature; electronic engine control would seem to decrease reliability.
[On the other hand, car seatbelt buzzers are the most reliable devices
in the universe!  How did they do that?? Must be a spinoff of SDI! :-]

A friend owned a Datsun with computer-controlled engine, circa 1983.
Her car randomly failed to start.  Replacing the $300 computer module
solved the problem for 2 weeks.  After several new computers, another
friend discovered that the connector was corroded.

I've heard the following rumors about digital engine-control
computers:

1. They contain a register which records the highest speed at which
the car has been driven. This can be read by dealers, who will refuse
to repair engines under warranty if the number is too high.

2.  A new car's computer assumes default parameters, and sets new ones
as it "learns" the car's performance over 50 miles of driving.  If the
car battery is disconnected, the computer forgets the learned values,
and the engine runs less well for 50 miles while the computer retunes
itself.  (Is the highest-speed memory erased by disconnecting the
battery?)

3.  The federal government has funded research (thusfar unsuccessful)
to discover a ray like Batman's which stops car engines, for law-
enforcement purposes.  Big Brother plans to require a remote-disable
feature on engine computers.

4.  Radio-frequency interference can jam the computer, causing various
effects like engine stop or full throttle.  This definitely happens
with radio transmitters mounted in the car; there was a long
discussion of it on rec.ham-radio last year.  Manufacturer's
recommendation: Don't install any 2-way radios. What happens when you
are next to a semi with a 100-watt CB "linear" amplifier??

--

Frank        W9MKV
reid@gold.bacs.indiana.edu

jbn@glacier.STANFORD.EDU (John B. Nagle) (08/04/88)

In article <7200006@silver> commgrp@silver.bacs.indiana.edu writes:
>What experiences have people had with car engines controlled by
>digital computers?  Are they a mature technology, or are they like
>color television in the 1950's?  Most car problems are electrical in
>nature; electronic engine control would seem to decrease reliability.
>
>I've heard the following rumors about digital engine-control
>computers:
>
>1. They contain a register which records the highest speed at which
>the car has been driven. This can be read by dealers, who will refuse
>to repair engines under warranty if the number is too high.

      Somebody put that in a Cadillac engine control program a few
years back.  A bit was set in non-volatile memory if a speed of 85mph
was exceeded.  Apparently this was just something some programmer stuck
in, and there was a minor flap about the "invasion of privacy" thus
represented.

      I did some work involving Ford engine control programs in the early
1980s, and at that time, there was no long-term storage in Ford's system,
based on a custom chip later sold as the Intel 8061.  There were vague
dreams of storing info about, say, the last five or so times the engine
had done something unreasonable, such as stall or miss.  But nothing was
implemented along those lines through '83, when I lost touch with that
effort.

>2.  A new car's computer assumes default parameters, and sets new ones
>as it "learns" the car's performance over 50 miles of driving.  If the
>car battery is disconnected, the computer forgets the learned values,
>and the engine runs less well for 50 miles while the computer retunes
>itself.  (Is the highest-speed memory erased by disconnecting the
>battery?)

      There was some question at one time as to whether such a setup
would consititute a "defeat device" under the terms of the Clean Air
Act.  The problem is that any mechanism not exercised by the "city" and
"highway" test cycles that affects engine performance that affects
emissions can be illegal.  So there are regulatory obstacles to
long-term adjustment.

>3.  The federal government has funded research (thusfar unsuccessful)
>to discover a ray like Batman's which stops car engines, for law-
>enforcement purposes.  Big Brother plans to require a remote-disable
>feature on engine computers.

      The California Highway Patrol actually funded research in this area
shortly after World War II.  But I hadn't heard anything recently, not
that I would be likely to.  Comments?

>4.  Radio-frequency interference can jam the computer, causing various
>effects like engine stop or full throttle.  This definitely happens
>with radio transmitters mounted in the car; there was a long
>discussion of it on rec.ham-radio last year.  Manufacturer's
>recommendation: Don't install any 2-way radios. What happens when you
>are next to a semi with a 100-watt CB "linear" amplifier??

      I know that at Ford, they had some trouble with this, but overcame
it.  One of their tests involved driving by some huge radionavigation
site in Michigan.  The Ford systems circa '83 deliberately had limited
authority, in that they could only tweak the throttle about 20%, for
example (this was a bellcrank arrangement, and you could feel the
throttle servo pushing back at you.).  There was also a hardware backup
system (referred to as "limp-home mode") which allowed driving with the
computer down.  In this mode, spark timing was fixed, so speed was
limited, hence the name.

      Generally the vehicle electronics were designed to operate with up
to a 30 watt radio transmitter on board, this being about as large as
police or business band gear gets.  Hams have special problems.  If
you want to run a few hundred watts in a car, this comes under the heading
of "vehicle modification" and some engineering work on the vehicle electronics
will probably be needed.

					John Nagle

fritz@mit-caf.MIT.EDU (Frederick Herrmann) (08/04/88)

In article <7200006@silver> commgrp@silver.bacs.indiana.edu writes:
>I've heard the following rumors about digital engine-control
>computers:

>4.  Radio-frequency interference can jam the computer, causing various
>effects like engine stop or full throttle.  This definitely happens
>with radio transmitters mounted in the car; there was a long
>discussion of it on rec.ham-radio last year.  Manufacturer's
>recommendation: Don't install any 2-way radios. What happens when you
>are next to a semi with a 100-watt CB "linear" amplifier??

In '86 I was a summer student at the GM proving grounds in Milford MI,
working with the electromagnetic compatibility (EMC) group.
(Disclaimer: I didn't speak for GM then, and I don't now).  GM does a
lot of testing to try and make sure problems like this don't occur.

Radio-frequency tests are performed by parking vehicles in large
anechoic chambers and zapping them at various frequencies, amplitudes,
and antenna configurations; and tests for mobile transmitters are
performed outdoors in a specially constructed shed with no metal
parts.

Tests are also performed with 60 Hz magnetic fields, as might be
encountered around power lines, and with electrostatic discharge
simulators to make sure you don't fry the stereo when you scoot your
fanny across the upholstery.  The worst case for ESD is when you get
out of the vehicle, and then reach back inside to flip a switch.
Charge in conserved, so when the capacitance goes down the voltage
goes up (Q=CV).

It should be noted that the engine control unit is also a source of
EMC trouble.  Digital designers go for more computing power and faster
clocks, but those fast rise times have significant high frequency
components that can cause problems for other electronic parts.

While I was there, GM was interested in using more component-level
bench tests, since they are easier to perform than whole-vehicle tests
in anechoic chambers, but I don't know how actively they are pursuing
that idea.

Frederick Herrmann
fritz@caf.mit.edu

jans@tekgvs.GVS.TEK.COM (Jan Steinman) (08/05/88)

<I've heard the following rumors about digital engine-control computers: 1.
They contain a register which records the highest speed at which  the car has
been driven.>

Not without a drive-line transducer, they don't!  This is possible on models
with factory cruise control, otherwise it would be an added cost that probably
isn't worth the return.

<2.  A new car's computer assumes default parameters, and sets new ones  as it
"learns" the car's performance over 50 miles of driving.>

I don't know the specifics (Where did 50 miles come from?  How does the
computer "know" 50 miles -- see above.), but my '86 Ford Ranger seems to do
this.  For a brief period after changing from super to regular (or vice-versa)
it runs a bit rough.

<3.  The federal government has funded research (thusfar unsuccessful)  to
discover a ray like Batman's which stops car engines,...>

See #1.  If it costs extra, there will be a big stink about getting it in.
Look at what it took to get the auto industry to add pollution control and
crash restraints!  I think this particular bit would be costly.

<4.  Radio-frequency interference can jam the computer,...>

I've not experienced this, even when using 100 watt HF gear into short
antennas, or 30 watts of VHF into a rubber duckie.  My after-market
performance-computer went nuts, however!

:::::: Software Productivity Technologies -- Experiment Manager Project ::::::
:::::: Jan Steinman N7JDB	Box 500, MS 50-383	(w)503/627-5881 ::::::
:::::: jans@tekcrl.TEK.COM	Beaverton, OR 97077	(h)503/657-7703 ::::::

fritz@mit-caf.MIT.EDU (Frederick Herrmann) (08/06/88)

In <1202@mit-caf.MIT.EDU> I described electromagnetic compatibility
testing at GM.  I received a question about my use of the term
`anechoic' chamber, but was unable to reply to the sender, so am
posting this reply to him and anyone else who might have been
wondering:

Sorry, anechoic means no-echo.  The walls and ceiling of the room have
cones of conductive foam all over.  The cones are quite pointy, so
incident waves should reflect into the next cone instead of back into
the room, and after a few reflections the energy should be dissipated.
The walls are heavily shielded behind the cones, so that nothing gets
in and nothing gets out.  Fiber optic cables are used to get signals
from various instruments on the inside to computers on the outside.
GM's EMC group has two such chambers (one big enough for a truck cab),
and several shielded rooms (without the cones).

That describes an electromagnetic anechoic chamber; acoustical anechoic
chambers are similar, built with cones of a suitable material... I saw
one when I toured GM's noise and vibration lab.

Hope that answers your question...

				- Fritz
				  fritz@mit.caf.edu

Repeated disclaimer: I worked at GM for one summer, I didn't speak for
them then and I don't now.