[sci.electronics] DAT or REGULAR tape decks

mjg@client1.DRETOR.UUCP (Michael Grau see jimt) (08/06/88)

I have a friend who has been hearing rumors of the new DAT decks
that are coming out. He was told that since it is only digital
data that is going onto the tape, that it will never wear out
(similar to a cd ) 8-).  I am posting this to get your opinions
on the differences and/or benefits of either types of decks.

If there is a good enough response, I will post a summary.

		Thanks Mike.
---------
no .sig yet, but soon.....

tomk@lakesys.UUCP (Tom Kopp) (08/08/88)

In article <888@client1.DRETOR.UUCP>, mjg@client1.DRETOR.UUCP (Michael Grau see jimt) writes:
> I have a friend who has been hearing rumors of the new DAT decks
> that are coming out. He was told that since it is only digital
> data that is going onto the tape, that it will never wear out
> (similar to a cd ) 8-).  I am posting this to get your opinions
> on the differences and/or benefits of either types of decks.

Well...Your friend is, from what I understand of the technology, wrong.  The
difference between DAT and 'standard' tape as far as recording isn't the
storage, both store it magnetically.  The difference is that DAT and CD's
store numbers that represent the music, rather than the magnetic impulses (or
in the case of LP's, alterations in depth and other characteristics of the
groove) that cause the music.  In other words, standard tape varies the
intensity of the magnetic field to make music.  DAT and CD's take the music
presented to them, digitize it (make numerical 'copies' of it) and store these
numbers, the same way a computer stores information on a floppy or hard disk.
It's still magnetic (for DAT) and there still is physical contact with the
tape head, so they will be prone to wear.

My personal opinion, which may be right or dreadfully wrong, is that DAT's
won't catch on in the US.  Mostly because there's still a legal battle going
on as to weather or not to include some scheme to make the DAT's impossible to
dupe.  I say stick w/ conventional tapes, if he wants a deck.

--
_____ _____ |"Reading computer manuals without    |tomk@lakesys.UUCP