[sci.electronics] Who needs S-VHS?

phil@amdcad.AMD.COM (Phil Ngai) (08/09/88)

In article <4721@fluke.COM> strong@tc.fluke.COM (Norm Strong) writes:
>} How about making a copy of a VHS tape, can you see that?
>
>The last argument is, of course, an argument for owning 2 VCR's, at least one
>of which is S-VHS.  The results will be pretty close to having two non-VHS
>recorders:  At best, the copy will be identical to the original--which is
>ordinary VHS.

This is a common belief, that if one of your components is limited to
240 lines of resolution, it doesn't pay to make your others any better
than that.

It's been a long time but I believe that if you have a series of cascaded
systems, such as a VCR taping off a VCR, that you will lose resolution
even if they are both the same. The relationship is something like

system = 1/sqrt( (1/vcr1)^2 + (1/vcr2)^2)

I believe this works out to 170 lines if you cascade two VCRs with 240
lines of resolution each.

(did I remember my linear systems theory correctly?)
--

I speak for myself, not the company.
Phil Ngai, {ucbvax,decwrl,allegra}!amdcad!phil or phil@amd.com