[sci.electronics] Need Advice

wlieberm@teknowledge-vaxc.ARPA (William Lieberman) (08/01/88)

As a newcomer to this newsgroup, forgive me if I trample on any toes or
if this question is innappropriate for this group.

Last week I purchased for my 13 year old son a 45/watt per channel
(whose rated distortion I know not and care not) Technics Receiver
(Model 937 I believe). What would be some of the least expensive
speakers to satisfy his needs?  He is still at the stage where loudest
is best, and he seems to have no idea, although I try to explain,
that accuracy is important. Like just about all his age, he (says he)
likes rap, etc.

Yet I hope to wean him eventually to better music.  What about those
Bose speakers going for around $35 a pair (small, with blue or green
grills, the rest is white casing). Or today, in a Price Club, they
offered a pair of Sony's - I regretfully didn't write down the
model number -$99 the pair (about 3 feet high and 1 foot wide - black
unremovable grill, 1 10" woofer and a ?? 3" midrange, and a ??2" tweeter,
wood-grain case.  I'm looking for best quality for lowest price
(stress the lowest price).

To give you a little context, I have a 17 year-old (don't laugh) Marantz
1060 amplifier and a pair of still-working-perfect Dynaco A-25 speakers.

As my son said to me when I offered him MY great system, "But Dad, your system
is older than ME!"  Well, that hit home. That, I guess, is like my dad
saying to me in 1956 that his system was bought in 1939!  Even in 1956
that would have sounded downright fossilistic. So I went out and found
this Technics receiver for $129 at a Video Concepts. Too good a price
for a receiver that has 50% more power (don't know the distortion
comparisons- I bet the new one is better) for $75 less than I paid for my
Marantz new in 1972!

Again, I apologize for insulting most members on this newsgroup who are
doubtlessly discussing high-end quality stuff. But I feel I have a chance
to perhaps push a teenage kid in a good direction if I can get him
started right (and INexpensively.)  Therefore, I would value your advice.

I predict you may ask me, "How much do you want to spend?" I'll answer
$100 tops.

Thanks,

Bill
--
wlieberm@teknowledge-vaxc.ARPA

uchuck@ecsvax.uncecs.edu (Charles Bennett) (08/04/88)

I would go for the Radio Shack Minimus-7 speakers.  Current list price
$49.95 ( on sale in this area for $29.95) each.  These are probably
the most under rated, as far as good sound, speakers I know of.  They
are very accurate, give excellent imaging, and have a FIVE year
unconditional warranty.  When he blows the woofers, my son did three
times, take them back to the Shack and they put new ones in.  Then in
about 18 months give him a BSR or Cerwin-Vega subwoofer with built in
passive crossover ( approx $100 - $150 total) and he can get all the
bottom end his heart desires while still having a good set of satellite
speakers.

These are just my humble opinions mind you, but it is what I did for
my son (who is now 21 and still has the system).  As a matter of fact,
I have a set on the deck when I'm not listening to my Infinity RS-1B's.

--
                   -Chuck Bennett-  UNC - Chapel Hill
                    919-966-1134

Ralphie@cup.portal.com (08/08/88)

Bill --

Believe it or not, the speaker systems at your local Rat Shack tend to be
pretty good ones.  May I suggest that you want to check them out?  On sale,
you can usually find some for about $30-$50 each, not too bad.

Of course, the next thing is to blow about $30 of the $100 and get a good
set of headphones for him - and, hang the speakers for a while! <B-)

lemke@Apple.COM (Steve Lemke) (08/09/88)

In article <7982@cup.portal.com> Ralphie@cup.portal.com writes:
>Believe it or not, the speaker systems at your local Rat Shack tend to be
>pretty good ones.  May I suggest that you want to check them out?  On sale,
>you can usually find some for about $30-$50 each, not too bad.

In fact, the Rat Shack Minimus-7 is a pretty good sounding speaker - it is one
of only two speakers in the whole RS line that has a dome tweeter in it (all
of their other ones seem to be stuck in the ages of cone tweeters).  They are
normally $50.00 each, but were on sale a little while back for only $30.00
each - they still might be if you hurry.  Also, for $15.00 you can get a set
of brackets to let you mount them just about any way imagineable.  I bought
a $99.00 receiver (not at RS) - digital with presets even, to go with my
Minimus-7s and my little portable CD player - makes a nice system at work!