[sci.electronics] Looking for info on hard disks

matthew@sunpix.UUCP ( Sun NCAA) (08/24/88)

HELP !!!!!!

I'm considering a project to build a Hard disk interface for a computer
that normally doesn't have the capablity to interface to one. What I'm looking
for is a good source of info on actually building a disk controller for
any (or preferably all) of the following hard disk interfacing protocols

SCSI, ESDI, ST506, ST412, SMD

(to clarify things, I'm looking for info on the pinouts, power requirements,
signal timings, etc, for the above standards).

Thanks in Advance.

--
Matthew Lee Stier     (919) 469-8300|
Sun Microsystems ---  RTP, NC  27560|          "Wisconsin   Escapee"

simcha@humming.UUCP (Simcha Lerner) (08/25/88)

In article <226@greens.UUCP> matthew@sunpix.UUCP ( Sun NCAA) writes:
> What I'm looking
>for is a good source of info on actually building a disk controller
>--
>Matthew Lee Stier     (919) 469-8300|
>Sun Microsystems ---  RTP, NC  27560|          "Wisconsin   Escapee"
>uucp: {medusa, rti}!sunpix!matthew  |

I would suggest that you contact the manufacturers of disk controller
chips for their application notes, engineering notes, etc.  Since you
are going to have to deal with them anyway, you might as well leverage
their expertise as much as possible.

Simcha Lerner

harvard!humming!simcha
^^^^^^^
not bbn

All opinions are my own, but you are welcome to share them.