[sci.electronics] Universal Remote Controls

SPGDCM@CMSA.BERKELEY.EDU (08/26/88)

 MSG:FROM: SPGDCM  --UCBCMSA  TO: NETWORK --NETWORK           08/25/88 16:04:05
 To: NETWORK --NETWORK  Network Address

 From: Doug Mosher
 Subject: Re: Re: Universal Remote Controls (URC) (Fact or Fiction?)

 To: rec-video@ucbvax rec-audio@ucbvax sci-electronics@ucbvax

 kimes@ihlpe.ATT.COM (Kit Kimes) writes:

   >Actually, one of the supposedly big advantages of CORE was the port on
   >the side that would allow you to plug it via an interface into you
   >computer and do all the programming via you PC or whatever. I don't
   >think any interfaces were produced. Theoretically, you could teach any
   >type of IR commands to CORE if you knew the correct codes that were used
   >for each type of remote controller. Unfortunately, if you didn't have the
   >original remote, chances are pretty slim that you would have the proper
   >codes either.
   >
   >BTW, CL9, the company that made the CORE, announced it's discontinuance
   >a couple of months ago. I read it in Electonic Engineering Times. So,
   >chances of seeing any advancements in that device are out the window.

 I happen by chance to be possessed of the Latest News on this topic.

 My CORE got low on batteries, and when I replaced them, I had to clear it.
 This erased all its memory (contrary to the manual). So I called
 CORE Customer Service to complain.

 They were actually quite cooperative, and mentioned that one way to protect
 oneself was to use the computer interface. You have those now??? I asked. Yes,
 but were running low. $69.95.

 I hightailed it down to their company office, which is in Los Gatos, about 1.5
 hours south of Berkeley. It was grand. I got these:

 1. A complete replacement for my unit, which has the latest code in it. I was
 glad to get this, also, because one LCD segment had become weak in the old
 unit. I was past the 90 day warranty but they were still willing to replace
 it. The newer code has a "clear?" prompt, which helps prevent accidental
 complete clearing.

 2. The RS 232 computer interface for $69.95.

 3. A super chat with a main insider. Yes, they are being sold as a company,
 because Woz lost interest. But this does not mean they'll either live or die
 for sure; it's a limbo. They were in operation and honoring warranties when
 I visited. The whiz I talked with is contracted to continue providing
 customer service on the listed 800 number for months at least.

 As for the computer interface,
 it plugs in instead of the infrared end of the CORE, and has a cable
 out the side. The cable connects to a small box with a 9v battery and
 an RS 232 DB 25 plug. You can:

 a. Upload or download each individual key, or the whole user memory.

 b. Issue the equivalent of any key press (or sequence of key-presses) from the
 computer.

 c. Interrogate the status of the CORE display. This would be very energetic
 because you are told what's on by numbered LCD segments, rather highly
 coded and not highly useful without work.

 Unfortunately, there is a handshaking sequence including the use of CRC sum
 checking. The latter fact makes it not highly practical to use any simple
 modem program such as Red Ryder; rather I'm going to use ZBASIC, so that I can
 add together the checksums as well as say yay or nay.

 Also, even though you can download all code, which includes a representation
 of the actual infrared codes underlying a key, there is no information
 available from the manual or the company as to how the codes are built, etc.
 You wouldn't be able to build codes for a new unit without its remote (neither
 would you have the needed info as to the desired codes, nor would you know how
 to represent those codes to the CORE).

 You could try to reverse engineer by knowing some codes and seeing how they
 downloaded, but the tech guy thought this wouldn't prove practical.

 As a quick comment on these controls, from my point of view: the CORE is nice
 if you're a programmer, but the relatively few keys and need to memorize
 and/or write down what you've set is a drawback. It does have a high-power
 head (point anywhere) and can with effort do the most complex things. Some of
 the other remotes that have more coded keys would be easier "for the family".
 And you could, of course, have several units, one for you, one for "them"...

 I LIKE the core. For example, I like NOT putting unused or "dangerous" codes
 into the CORE. So when a visitor starts pressing keys at random, they can't
 start recording on my tapes or set the audio to "tape 2" so it seems dead, or
 press "sleep" on my TV so it shuts off mysteriously later.

 (          Doug Mosher <SPGDCM@CMSA.Berkeley.edu>            )
 (                      ...!ucbvax!cmsa!spgdcm                )
 ( 257 Evans, Univ. of California, Berkeley, CA, 415/642-5823 )
     -Re: Re: Universal Remote Controls (URC) (Fact or Fiction?)