[sci.electronics] Analog to Digital converters

hunter-larry@CS.Yale.EDU (Larry Hunter) (08/25/88)

I'm looking for an inexpensive, high resolution, audio-domain A to D
converter for a Mac II.  Ideally, it will have 2 channels, 16 bits, >44KHz
sampling rate, SCSI or NuBuss interface, programmable gain, high linerarity,
and cost <$500.  One channel would really do the trick, and I could
live with 14 bits if it were substantially cheaper.  Other interfaces
would also be OK.  Below are the systems I know about.  Does anybody
out there know of any other options?   Suggestions might include:
plans, chip sets, kits, used equipment sources, etc.  Thanks for
any help you can offer.

                                       Larry
                                       Hunter@yale.edu

Heathkit (Sold as "turn your PC into a 50MHz digital storage scope.")
8 bit, 100kHz, 2 channels, rs-232 interface, software for PC/clones. $350

Ariel Corp. "SDI" 16 bit, 50kHz, 2 channels, SCSI interface. $3500

Canetics Inc. 16 bit, 60kHz, 2 channels, board for PC-AT & clones, $1650
Also has D->A, and the following options: outboard power supply, software,
hardware FFT coprocessor board and second DMA channel.

BioPac Systems, "MACPACQ" - waiting for info from company.

GW Instruments, "MacAdios" 142kHz, $1290 for MacII board.  Waiting for more
info from company.

National Instruments "Labview"  Also waiting for info.
-------

sampson@killer.DALLAS.TX.US (Steve Sampson) (08/26/88)

For a MAC II NuBus A/D converter for CD speed type devices, see Modern
Electronics (September 1988) page 16.  It is not < $500.00 though.
Southworth Music Systems, Harvard, MA.  $1400.00, they also have a DSP
card for $1400.00 and a SMPTE card for $995.00.  Here's your chance to
empty out the bank account...

czei@accelerator.eng.ohio-state.edu (Michael S. Czeiszperger) (08/26/88)

In article <5316@killer.DALLAS.TX.US> sampson@killer.DALLAS.TX.US (Steve Sampson) writes:
>For a MAC II NuBus A/D converter for CD speed type devices, see Modern
>Electronics (September 1988) page 16.  It is not < $500.00 though.
>Southworth Music Systems, Harvard, MA.  $1400.00, they also have a DSP
>card for $1400.00 and a SMPTE card for $995.00.  Here's your chance to
>empty out the bank account...

I don't think they're shipping yet though, at least not the DSP
and SMPTE cards....

--
Michael S. Czeiszperger    | "The only good composer is a dead composer"
Systems Analyst            | Snail: 2015 Neil Avenue         (614)